Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Sorting question

I have Calibre showing the cover view where you can view the cover and swipe left or right to move through them. Sorry, I can't remember what view that is called.

What is happening,... I add new ebooks and they show up just fine in the order I add them. In the bottom of the screen where it shows the path to the file, it shows a number after the title... such as (534), (535), etc. As I add another ebook, the next number is assigned to it.

I add ebooks to Calibre to convert in the order I want to load them onto my Device (Android phone or Pandigital Novel White).

The problem arises when I exit Calibre and restart it. The ebooks are no longer in that numerical order. They appear as (534), (537), (527), (477). Basically, the numbers jump all over the place.

How can I set it up so the ebooks appear in the correct numerical order that I added them in the first place??

I've clicked on date, I've clicked on, Published date. and nothing sorts them back into the order in which I added them into Calibre. When creating the ebooks, I make sure the publish date is the date I added the ebook to Calibre but there appears to be no way of adding a timestamp for the creation time which I'm assuming would make the ebooks sort in the order I add them to Calibre.

Did that all make sense? Is there any way at all to sort in the order the books are added to and converted in Calibre??

Thanks,
Shykat
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The number you're seeing is the numeric id calibre assigns for tracking the book in its internal metadata database.

I don't believe there is a way to sort by that id. I've never heard anyone ask. Usually people just click the headers for title, author... and sort on the columns.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
What is happening,... I add new ebooks and they show up just fine in the order I add them. In the bottom of the screen where it shows the path to the file, it shows a number after the title... such as (534), (535), etc. As I add another ebook, the next number is assigned to it.

I add ebooks to Calibre to convert in the order I want to load them onto my Device (Android phone or Pandigital Novel White).

The problem arises when I exit Calibre and restart it. The ebooks are no longer in that numerical order. They appear as (534), (537), (527), (477). Basically, the numbers jump all over the place.

How can I set it up so the ebooks appear in the correct numerical order that I added them in the first place??
You can't. That is the database ID, and is not used for anything except uniquely identifying the book.
Quote:
I've clicked on date, I've clicked on, Published date. and nothing sorts them back into the order in which I added them into Calibre. When creating the ebooks, I make sure the publish date is the date I added the ebook to Calibre but there appears to be no way of adding a timestamp for the creation time which I'm assuming would make the ebooks sort in the order I add them to Calibre.
Here you lost me. You have set the pubdate (why that and not the date?) to the date added. You sort on the pubdate, and the screen is not sorted into pubdate (date added) order?

If you want an arbitrary absolute order for your books, then you need to create a custom column and put the sort key you want into that column. In your case, I imagine it would be an int type custom column and you would put the sequence number in that field. I do confess, though, befuddlement as for why you want to do this.

Last edited by chaley; 01-23-2011 at 01:16 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just thought of a way to use the id in the way you wish. Create a composite custom column (column made from other columns), then use the following as the template
Code:
{id:0>8d}
You will see the ID and be able to sort on it.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay... how do I create a composite custom column??

The reason I want this is because I load my ebooks onto my phone or Pandigital in the order that I want to read them in. Sometimes I have a series of books and have gotten book 3 before finding book 1 and 2 in the series. If I sort by date, the series appears as 3, 1, 2, instead of 1, 2, 3..

I look forward to the directions on how to create a composite custom column!
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Okay... how do I create a composite custom column??
See the manual: http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/faq.html#id33
Quote:
The reason I want this is because I load my ebooks onto my phone or Pandigital in the order that I want to read them in. Sometimes I have a series of books and have gotten book 3 before finding book 1 and 2 in the series. If I sort by date, the series appears as 3, 1, 2, instead of 1, 2, 3..
Why not sort by series? Or do one of the things described in the thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100949

It does really seem that you are doing things the hard way, but that is of course your privilege. If it makes sense to you, go for it.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
Shykat
Groupie

Sadly, I'm totally lost.

When you sent the link on composite custom columns, I don't see any directions on how to make them.

What I really would like is to be able to create another column where you have the book title, author, Published date, etc.... and have it titled something like "ID Number" or "Order added/created"

How the heck can I create a column, give it one of those titles and then use the code: {id:0>8d} you sent in the previous email and have it sort in ascending or descending order on the ID number assigned to the book?

Shykat
Old 01-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Did you read the faq answer under "Why doesn’t calibre have a column for foo?"? If so, did you go to preferences -> interface -> Add your own columns, as it told you to do? Did you watch the tutorial UI Power tips as it suggested you do?
Old 01-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
Shykat
Groupie

Yes I went to Preferences - Interface - but there is NO add your own columns listed.

I'm using the most recent version of Calilbre 0.7.42 and there is no Add Your Own Column listed on the Interface section of Preferences. I've looked. I watched the tutorial on UI Power Tips and it's an older version.

Could this feature have been removed?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes I went to Preferences - Interface - but there is NO add your own columns listed.
Look at the attached screenshot.

It seems that you want me to do your work for you. I won't. Perhaps you will be lucky, and someone else will come along who is more willing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	65371  
Old 01-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #11
Shykat
Groupie

I'm sorry that you feel put upon but I do not have that page in the version of Calibre that I have

I click on the Hammer in the buttons at the top of the screen, Preferences opens and there is a listing on the left of the page... general is on top, Interface is below that, then Conversion and email delivery, and so on.

The page that shows up in my version of Calibre looks NOTHING like what you posted.

If I did have the page that you showed me, I would probably just be asking you where the heck to type in that {id:0>8d} command..... but since I do NOT have the page you show above, things must be at a standstill since we seem to be working on different versions.

My version of Calibre updated when I opened it this am and it now shows that I'm using version 0.7.42 but none of my screens look any different than they did before. I even have exited the program and restarted it. Nothing has changed.

Maybe Kovid will come along and help with the issue since you don't seem to want to help.... maybe there is something wrong with my copy of the program.. it works fine... but definitely doesn't have the page you show above.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
Shykat
Groupie

Okay, now I do have to hang my head in shame. When I looked at the upper right corner of Calibre, I saw that version 0.7.42 was listed... after typing the above note, I went back and looked at it trying to figure out why the heck my version looked so different from yours..... I am using an old one!! ARRGGGHHH.

Now, the question is... I'm using version 6.40. Can I download the 7.43 version and just install it OVER the current one so I won't loose what few settings and many books that I already have in the program??

Here I thought all those updates that happened when I started the program, actually updated it. Guess they were just notices that there were updates.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Always uninstall then install the new version. You won't lose your settings or your library.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
Shykat
Groupie

Chaley, I'm sorry for driving you totally bonkers. Once I realized that Calibre had not been automatically updating with each new update and I deleted the old, installed the new and used that neat code you gave me, I now have the sorting feature that I have wanted with Calibre. I knew there had to be something else going on when you showed me a page that was totally different from what my old version had. I just had to dig through the entire screen to realize what MY mistake was. THANK YOU!

Thanks to User_none for also replying that I needed to uninstall the original version and that i would not loose any of the settings.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Chaley, I'm sorry for driving you totally bonkers. Once I realized that Calibre had not been automatically updating with each new update and I deleted the old, installed the new and used that neat code you gave me, I now have the sorting feature that I have wanted with Calibre. I knew there had to be something else going on when you showed me a page that was totally different from what my old version had. I just had to dig through the entire screen to realize what MY mistake was. THANK YOU!

Thanks to User_none for also replying that I needed to uninstall the original version and that i would not loose any of the settings.
You normally only need to un-install when changing from 1) a beta. 2)jumping versions (ie .6.xx to .7.xx)

Normal updates, you just do a Quit (no tool tray icon showing) and run the updater-installer
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote