Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Where to buy

I am going to get a Kindle 3. Does it matter if I order from Amazon or get locally say at Target? Is there any difference in the warranty, etc.?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There is no difference in the warrenty. I believe that Target honors the 30 day return policy but you want to check on that to be sure. The big difference is Amazon does not charge sales tax for most people and you will have to pay sales tax at Target.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
There is no difference in the warrenty. I believe that Target honors the 30 day return policy but you want to check on that to be sure. The big difference is Amazon does not charge sales tax for most people and you will have to pay sales tax at Target.
Thanks. I checked our Target and they have a 90 day return policy.

Carol
Old 12-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Make sure that they take back items that have been opened. They are suppose to take back opened and used Kindles but some folks have had some problems with that.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Make sure that they take back items that have been opened. They are suppose to take back opened and used Kindles but some folks have had some problems with that.
Thanks. I just called back and they said if it is opened and used you can't return it. Will order from Amazon.

Carol
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I would order from Amazon direct. If you are in the US, shipping is fast and free, and if you have no physical store in your state, there is no tax

Regardless of what one sales person might tell you, there have been reported problems with returns in an opened box, and sometimes, depending on the store, there is a re-stocking fee.

With Amazon, you have 30 days to make up your mind, play with it to your hearts content, download, and if you don't like it, just pay return shipping....

However, I doubt very seriously you'll want to return it.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Thanks. I just called back and they said if it is opened and used you can't return it. Will order from Amazon.

Carol
They are suppose to accept returns of used Kindles in a 30 day window but I have heard of folks having problems with that. If your Target's first answer was that it could not be open then I think buying from Amazon is the right way to go.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Wonder what BestBuy's policy is?

I have to pay sales tax from Amazon anyway (NY)
although I could have it shipped fast..lol.

sigh.. hate waiting for my new toy.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
sadievan
Wizard

Well. I just did it. Ordered the Kindle wifi. Now I can't wait to get it. Have installed Calibre and have been downloading free books for the past month or so.

Thanks for the help.
Carol
Old 12-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
Wonder what BestBuy's policy is?

I have to pay sales tax from Amazon anyway (NY)
although I could have it shipped fast..lol.

sigh.. hate waiting for my new toy.
I know what you mean about waiting. I have no patience.

I don't know if Best Buys return is 14 or 30 days.

Carol
Old 12-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #11
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Well. I just did it. Ordered the Kindle wifi. Now I can't wait to get it. Have installed Calibre and have been downloading free books for the past month or so.
Congrats!

I was collecting free books for a couple of months prior to my Kindle also.

I had been building my Amazon balance with gift cards I get from points sites to buy a K3. I had over $100 when my sister surprised me by sending my Kindle as a gift. I'm glad I didn't know it was coming or I would have went crazy waiting! I used some of my "free money" to buy a lighted cover and some non-free books.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
I am going to get a Kindle 3. Does it matter if I order from Amazon or get locally say at Target? Is there any difference in the warranty, etc.?

Carol
My humble opinion :-)

I live close to a Best Buy store and several Targets (about 5 miles away) Because the warranty it's the same and I usually pay with my American Express, it is easier for me go back to the store and talk to a sales guy in case I am having technical issues. Yes, you can call Amazon customer care as well and I've been told they are really helpful, but besides basic troubleshooting they can't replace the hardware or ereader via phone as you certainly can with the store; in my opinion, most serious issues are hardware related, even with Nook.

When I bought my Kindle DX several days ago, I noticed the battery got depleted after just 2 days. I though I was just being too "aggressive" and happy with my DX so I gave it a 2nd charge; 3 more days with barely use, it was asking for another charge, again! At that point it was more than obvious that the battery was defective. I did not call Amazon, what they were going to do? they probably have other folks on the phone who really need help and they can provide assistance to. So, I went to the store, showed the box, my Amex receipt, I walked away with a new device: everything happened in about 15 min.

On my personal case because the kind of support I have with my Amex, it is also easier for me to return to the store and deal with someone there instead of calling Amazon or wait for a next day Fedex package. My wife always tell me I'm an impatient man, lol ...

As a final advice, even if you have the cash, pay with a credit card and not a debit one. Most credit cards give you an additional protection or help you in disputes with the store if any problem arises later.

Last edited by jocampo; 12-13-2010 at 04:12 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well if your Targets are anything like the ones around here they wouldn't have had the WiFi K3 in stock anyway (The $139 one). I've only seen them in our Target once and I stopped dead in my tracks and my mouth fell open. There was an employee right there and he goes "Can I help you?"

and I said "I've just never seen the $139 models here before"

and he told me they'd probably be gone in 2 to 3 hours. They usually have a couple of 3Gs in but the WiFis fly out of the store.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Well if your Targets are anything like the ones around here they wouldn't have had the WiFi K3 in stock anyway (The $139 one). I've only seen them in our Target once and I stopped dead in my tracks and my mouth fell open. There was an employee right there and he goes "Can I help you?"

and I said "I've just never seen the $139 models here before"

and he told me they'd probably be gone in 2 to 3 hours. They usually have a couple of 3Gs in but the WiFis fly out of the store.
... true ....
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #15
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
I know what you mean about waiting. I have no patience.

I don't know if Best Buys return is 14 or 30 days.

Carol
Congrats! So you're going to get it from Amazon then?
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote