Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
protected page error

I've been using library books fine - all .pdfs so far I think

But last night I tried to upload an epub library book and although it displays in the sony software and adobe software, when I transfer to my sony touch all I get is Protected Page when I try and read it.

My reader is registered with sony. I have authorised the PC and the sony software says this and the adobe software is authorised.

Not sure what else I can do. I have deleted the file and tried reloading on to the sony several times with no joy.

any help appreciated thank you
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
tbov
tbov began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
I also had that problem-apparently you can only have either pdf or epubs on your reader at one time. Try deleting all checked out pdf books from your reader and then try to put the epub book back on the reader and it should work. So far this has worked for me.
tbov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you I will try this tip. I do have some pdfs on there as well. Very odd.

I wonder would it work if I put epubs on the main reader memory and pdfs on the SD card?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
poshm
Fanatic

I removed everything off the reader and just put 1 epub library book back on but still got the protected page error. So unfortunately it didn't work for me Thanks for the suggestion though

Completely stuck on what else to try as everything is up-to-date and authorised so no reason why it should not work.

If anyone has any other ideas - I am also using the correct sony USB cable that came with the device so it isn't that either.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
tbov
tbov began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
Sorry that did not work. You should chat or call sony tech support-every time I've contacted them they have been able to resolve my problem.
tbov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:36 AM   #6
hoomantavakoly@y
hoomantavakoly@y began at the beginning.

Device: rss600
Your sony reader can only read PDF files. I had the same problem earlier, but I converted all the epubs into PDF and now I have the full access to each one of them on my reader. try it, it works.
hoomantavakoly@y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #7
Nvidiot
Connoisseur
Nvidiot began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Is your reader authorized in Adobe Digital Editions as well? I think you have to authorize the reader in there, separately from authorizing it in the Sony software.
Nvidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #8
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
I removed everything off the reader and just put 1 epub library book back on but still got the protected page error. So unfortunately it didn't work for me Thanks for the suggestion though
This should have worked, as per Sony's instructions here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoomantavakoly@y View Post
Your sony reader can only read PDF files.
The Sony Reader can display DRM'd or non-DRM'd ePub files, library books or not, usually better than PDF files, unless the PDF file was crafted especially for your size of reader and in your preferred font size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidiot View Post
Is your reader authorized in Adobe Digital Editions as well? I think you have to authorize the reader in there, separately from authorizing it in the Sony software.
Try importing the ePub into ADE and use ADE to copy the ePub to the reader.

I hope you get this sorted out soon.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
poshm
Fanatic

Thank you. Actually this is an older post and seems to be sorted now - when I say seems it is because the last few library books have worked on the reader either by transfering to the main memory or an SD card.

I wish I could provide an answer for what the problem was but one min it didn't work and then it just did with no apparent reason.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
Desdemica
Nameless Being

I'm chiming in because I'm having the same problem today with my PRS-600--only backwards. I checked out public library books last night, 3 .pdfs and one epub. They all show up fine in both the new Sony library program and in Adobe Digital, and my reader is authorized. But on the reader itself, although the files are there, I get the "protected page!" error for all of the .pdfs, but can read the epub just fine. Weird, huh? I should also mention that I have a couple of non-protected .pdf files on the reader of my own, and can also read those with no problem.

I will try transferring the unreadable ones to an SD card. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemica View Post
I'm chiming in because I'm having the same problem today with my PRS-600--only backwards. I checked out public library books last night, 3 .pdfs and one epub. They all show up fine in both the new Sony library program and in Adobe Digital, and my reader is authorized. But on the reader itself, although the files are there, I get the "protected page!" error for all of the .pdfs, but can read the epub just fine. Weird, huh? I should also mention that I have a couple of non-protected .pdf files on the reader of my own, and can also read those with no problem.

Overdrive - the service libraries use for ebooks - has a known bug. You can only use one type of library file on your ereader, ePub OR pdf, not both at the same time.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Size of html files in epub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemica View Post

I have seen a similar issue with an epub I created myself. That error meant that the uncompressed size of the xhtml file was simply too large for the Sony's memory to process all at once. If you read Adobe's guide to making good Epubs they say that each xhtml file used in the book must be when uncompressed must by less than 300k and when compressed less than 100k.

Here is what SAdobe's EPUBBestPractices-1_0_2.epub says:

"Note that Adobe Digital Editions has the following limitations when running on a mobile device;

Image Size: 10MB uncompressed.

XHTML/DTBook file size: 300k uncompressed/100k compressed.

Lots of people are unaware of this limitation when they create epubs and so the epubs will not work with the Sony reader (and other mobile devices). These same epubs will work in desktop ADE becasue they don't have the memory limitation on the size of the xhtml file."

One way to check is to unzip the epub and simply look at the sizes in bytes of the files that are unpacked. If any are greater than 300k then that is the issue, if not, then you need to verify that when compressed they are not more than 100k.

If the epubs are not drm protected, then you can use Calibre or Sigil to add appropriate chapter breaks to clean things up and make a working epub. I did this with my own epub book and the error went away just fine and everything worked.

If it is drm protected then you are out of luck and must just read the epub on your desktop (or strip the drm - which is illegal in most countries).

Hope this helps,

KevinH.

Last edited by KevinH; 12-18-2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added a reference to the size limitation
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:09 AM   #13
biblio_run
biblio_run began at the beginning.

Device: none
I ran into a similar problem with borrowing a library book. The book was in ePub format. Initially I had no problem accessing it on my PRS-600 (got through abot 20% of it). I then purchased an ePub book from the sony book store. When I started up the reader again, I was unable to access the library book. Also, this was the only library book I had taken out at the time. Oh the joys of DRM...
biblio_run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #14
clindner
clindner began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
So, Sony's official response to this issue is to make sure all of your DRM'ed content is only ePub or only PDF?

In my case, if I have an Overdrive ePub, any PDF, even without DRM, will hose it up.

I bought this for my wife, and there's no way on earth she could have figured out even how to get an Overdrive loaned title onto it. Not after having to wait hours to download Sony's software, then figuring out that you need Adobe Digital Edition, then figuring out you need an Adobe ID, then authorizing the computer and the Reader. Wow, what a mess.

Good thing for her, I'm pretty good with python scripts and following directions. Now she has all her titles on there at once.

Does that make me a bad person?
clindner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:55 AM   #15
poshm
Fanatic

No Clindner not a bad person And at least you've got it all working now