Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Sort by only the first author?

I have a number of annual anthologies in my calibre library with the primary editor listed as the first author and the contributing authors listed after in more-or-less random order.

I have found it annoying that sorting the library by title and then author results in a jumble based on the particular order that the authors are listed for each anthology. This is because all of the authors are taken into account when producing the author sort for a book.

I am wondering if there exists any option or tweak to only use the first author in producing the author sort for a book, instead of all authors. I didn't see anything like that in my quick look.

ETA: I am hoping to avoid having to manually set the author sort for each one.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I made a custom Author-like Column and use Bulk mode S&R to copy/move the author list for any book with >2 {Authors}
I then created a Group search

I then use the original {authors} column (for the affected books):
Fn LName (ed), If there is no call out I show the first name shown on the cover

BTW The new authors column originally was used for Pseudonym (decoded ) or variations of the name appearance on the cover (most common, missing middle initial)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
To further answer my own question I took a look at the calibre source code and saw that the logic to combine the author-sort values for ALL authors of a book exists in numerous places. Since it can't be changed easily to do what I want automatically, I will use a workaround.

In Edit Metadata, Search and replace
Search field: author_sort
Search mode: Regular Expression
Search for: & .+$
Replace with:
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Although you have solved the problem by changing author_sort, you could have also solved the problem by using a custom column created from other columns. You would populate that column with the first author from author sort using the sublist function. That way you could have both sorts available, which of course might not be of any interest.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #5
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ABCH

The ABCH plug-in (Author Book Count Hierarchy) is sorted by total books per co-author in your library at the time you run its job.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote