Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #16
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The vintage British thriller writers can be very good:

Try Desmond Bagley, and early Alistair Maclean (his last books were well below par, sadly). Hammond Innes veers towards adventure-thriller, but The Angry Mountain, Wreckers Must Breathe, the White South, and many others, are all good value. In his early days, Jack Higgins wrote a variety of thrillers including The Eagle has Landed, East of Desolation, and the like before settling into the somewhat repetitive series featuring Sean Dillon and Co. (Higgins also wrote three cop thrillers set in, if I remember right, Leeds, which are interesting in their own right.)
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:16 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
The vintage British thriller writers can be very good:

Try Desmond Bagley, and early Alistair Maclean (his last books were well below par, sadly). Hammond Innes veers towards adventure-thriller, but The Angry Mountain, Wreckers Must Breathe, the White South, and many others, are all good value. In his early days, Jack Higgins wrote a variety of thrillers including The Eagle has Landed, East of Desolation, and the like before settling into the somewhat repetitive series featuring Sean Dillon and Co. (Higgins also wrote three cop thrillers set in, if I remember right, Leeds, which are interesting in their own right.)
I grew up on those. I have been rereading Desmond Bagley recently and have thoroughly enjoyed them. The interesting thing is that when I was young, I read Maclean a lot more. But, I have absolutely no desire to pick his books up now. I hadn't thought of Hammond Innes. I might have a look around the house to see what we have.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Did no one mention Robert Crais? Love me some Elvis Cole and Joe Pike
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #19
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
you might also want to check out this thread from a few months ago
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=thriller
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:15 AM   #20
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
May have missed the mention, but David Morrell is an excellent thriller author, as well.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #21
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Scott Mariani, Steve Berry, Lee Child
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:37 AM   #22
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I think the only adventure I've enjoyed has been Haggard (and occasionally Verne), though I've been meaning to branch out. Most contemporary adventure I've tried has been too genre-ey.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote