Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2008, 06:55 AM   #31
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I might be wrong but I believe it could do with copyright laws. There is no special interface needed for French other than the accents; which are supported. There are ebooks in France, I have a few so I don't see anything else than lawyereese stopping Sony.
I meant the user interface: menus, messages etc. My guess is that Quebec laws would require the Reader to have French menus to be sold there (and, consequently, eBook Store interface to be available in French too).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #32
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
I might be wrong but I believe it could do with copyright laws. There is no special interface needed for French other than the accents; which are supported. There are ebooks in France, I have a few so I don't see anything else than lawyereese stopping Sony.
Copyright law is a federal jurisdiction.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #33
balok
Ugly alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
I think this is more business and personal convenience than any disrespect to French speakers
I don't expect Sony to base their decisions on anything else than making money. What I'm complaining about is the fact that Canadian law allows this kind of thing. If importers are forced to have bilingual labels on their goods, why shouldn't they be forced to market a bilingual user interface? It's not a question of disrespect on the part of Sony, but rather of disrespect on the part of the Parliament of Canada for French speaking citizens.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #34
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Jeeez, it took them long enough. At least the price is correct and free shipping is nice.
Still, I'll wait for the next version before even considering it. My Cybook works just fine.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #35
Guesser
Guesser began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by balok View Post
I don't expect Sony to base their decisions on anything else than making money. What I'm complaining about is the fact that Canadian law allows this kind of thing. If importers are forced to have bilingual labels on their goods, why shouldn't they be forced to market a bilingual user interface? It's not a question of disrespect on the part of Sony, but rather of disrespect on the part of the Parliament of Canada for French speaking citizens.
Yeah, this is what I was referring to when I said "but if Sony were required to make a simultaneous French release in order to enter the Canadian market, then they may choose to overlook Canada entirely or the price of Canadian releases of products could be more significantly increased". Making that law is something to consider, but it would have some negative effects, and there would be some exceptions (eg. for applications critical to Canadian companies in rapidly evolving industries). There would also be a regulations body to check all this, plus paperwork required from the businesses concerned (in an attempt to reduce the costs of the regulations body). I like the idea, but there has to be a path from where we are now to there. When I think about it further, I don't like the path that I'm imagining.

Anyway, I fairly often see products in Asian areas that are only in Chinese, Japanese, or Korean. That's another complication. I'm not sure if it's even legal, but I like it when they get in, so long as they don't pose a physical hazard.
Guesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #36
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
"but if Sony were required to make a simultaneous French release in order to enter the Canadian market, then they may choose to overlook Canada entirely or the price of Canadian releases of products could be more significantly increased". Making that law is something to consider, but it would have some negative effects.
That's what I was thinking about. I guess you (Canadians) would have to face a choice, either to have Sony Reader with English interface only right now, or wait indefinite period of time until Sony duplicates its English support for the reader to French, or maybe never bother with it and overlook Canada all together.
If I were a French Canadian, I would choose to have the reader right now with English interface and do not complain too loudly...because right now it is not about nationality negligence but pure business/money.

...let alone there are no books in French in Sony ebook store. Are there DRMed books in French in lit or mobi formats?

P.S. please noticed, although I do live in the UK, it is only for the last 5 years and my first/second languages are Russian/Hebrew.

Last edited by astra; 04-16-2008 at 02:26 PM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #37
simonp
simonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Do devices like the iPod, that sell in the hundreds of thousands (vs. thousands for the ereader), come with French interfaces in Quebec?
simonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #38
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
Do devices like the iPod, that sell in the hundreds of thousands (vs. thousands for the ereader), come with French interfaces in Quebec?
My 2 ipods and my 2 Macbooks work in french without any problems...

So does my Cybook!!!

Regards,

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #39
balok
Ugly alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
Yes, all the major gadgets are available in French. Developing an interface in French is a trivial task for a programmer.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #40
balok
Ugly alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I guess you (Canadians) would have to face a choice, either to have Sony Reader with English interface only right now, or wait indefinite period of time until Sony duplicates its English support for the reader to French, or maybe never bother with it and overlook Canada all together.
Apparently, the choice has been made by the Parliament of Canada, dominated by English-speaking MPs.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #41
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
So, you would prefer if they said No no to Sony and left you without even half-criplled-English-interfaced Sony reader? (because I am almost sure they would not go to all the trouble of making French interface, French website and French books right now, probably in future - yes, but right now English market is already operating and expanding it from the USA to Canada is not a problem)
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #42
simonp
simonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enoughsimonp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
So, you would prefer if they said No no to Sony and left you without even half-criplled-English-interfaced Sony reader? (because I am almost sure they would not go to all the trouble of making French interface, French website and French books right now, probably in future - yes, but right now English market is already operating and expanding it from the USA to Canada is not a problem)
As an anglo Canadian, my opinion is Quebeckers should be able to read in French, whether that's an advertisement, a print book or an ereader.

If that means the Sony ereader is not available in Canada until it gets a French interface, and I have to order one from the US at markup -- that's an interesting question. It would limit my own personal reading choices, but at the same time, it would probably help expand the reading choices of my fellow citizens in Quebec.

How do you answer a question like that?

If Quebeckers raised enough of a fuss about this (as I believe has been done in the past over things like video games in French ), then Parliament would pass a law. And in that case I would support it. But I think this is a case of the audience for ereaders being too small at the moment to influence politics. Maybe once ereaders reach critical mass in the population things would change.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #43
jaguaracer
jaguaracer began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
That suggests that it may already be possible to access the eBookstore with a Canadian Credit Card ... has anyone given it a try yet?
I can't really tell if anyone has responded to this but yes! When registering a credit card you can put Canada as your country (just did this).
jaguaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #44
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
It could be that the interface is not quite ready yet and is about to come out.

I would never expect a serious company like Sony to go head on against a country's laws because they expect to be protected by the same judiciary system ;copyright wise. If the devices are set to be sold shortly I expect the French version very soo after unless...they think that Québec will separate from Canada soon and be considered as an other country YAY!!!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:44 AM   #45
simonp

Quote:
If the devices are set to be sold shortly I expect the French version very soo after unless...they think that Québec will separate from Canada soon and be considered as an other country YAY!!!

My ideal is an independent Quebec in a strong and united Canada.

Tags
canada, prs-505, sony reader