Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
Battery problem Gen3

I've had my Gen3 for two years. I love it. But about 6 months ago it started to have battery problems. I've mentioned this on the forum before now. The battery would drop to 70% after a couple of days and then the device just wouldn't respond.

My husband thought it might be a battery problem, so he bought a new battery from Bookeen. It worked great. The power would last up to two weeks, but usually around 8 or 9 days with heavy use.

About a month ago my Gen3 once again started having problems. Now, again, the battery only lasts around 2 days.

Could it be something in the device itself that is sucking the power out of the battery even when switched off?

Is it worth buying another and newer Gen3? I really like mobi and I don't want a Kindle -- really hate all those keys on the front of their device.

Has anyone come across this problem? Does anyone have any advice for me?

--Jan.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I wouldn't assume that this has any influence on the battery but nevertheless I would check if you have a corrupted file system or not.
By the way, which firmware are you running?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I wouldn't assume that this has any influence on the battery but nevertheless I would check if you have a corrupted file system or not.
By the way, which firmware are you running?
1.6 mobi

Corrupted file system? Sorry, not very tech-savvy. I know that before I upgraded the firmware I made sure I had a copy of the source code for the Gen3 (whatever that is!), someone on here told me I should have that.

--Jan.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
My battery is 3 years old and still going strong - not that that is of any use to you - and I too am using the 1.6 mobi.

Strange that a new battery is powering down quickly....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Do you have a 200Mhz model or a 400Mhz one ?

If you use and "abuse" of the sleep mode (on 400 one) the battery last will be less than using full power off
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
JanG
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Do you have a 200Mhz model or a 400Mhz one ?

If you use and "abuse" of the sleep mode (on 400 one) the battery last will be less than using full power off
I have a 400Mhz and I never ever use the sleep mode, I always power down. I'm wondering if the power switch icon that the firmware upgrade installed is the culprit. Could it be draining the power?

--Jan.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

LOL!

You seems to not know that eInk display do not need power to keep it displayed.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
JanG
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
LOL!

You seems to not know that eInk display do not need power to keep it displayed.
I guess sarcasm doesn't come across in print! I know that it's not SUPPOSED to draw power, but I've only had this battery problem since the firmware upgrade. Before that icon appeared the battery would last a week to ten days. I originally thought the problem might be the battery, so I bought a new one, but the same thing happens with the new battery.

--Jan.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:36 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
I guess sarcasm doesn't come across in print! I know that it's not SUPPOSED to draw power, but I've only had this battery problem since the firmware upgrade.
Well, it doesn't seem to draw power for me. So either there's something wrong in your unit, or you are doing something else that causes the battery drain. Are you using a card? The card shouldn't draw much power either, but maybe if it's faulty...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #10
JanG
Groupie

Nope, no SD card. {sigh} I don't understand why the unit suddenly decided to act like this. I've not changed my reading habits, nor the way I use the Gen3.

I've ordered an Opus as a back-up in case my beloved Gen3 decides to bite the dust.

--Jan.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
Flinx
Connoisseur
Flinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Cybook Muse Frontlight, Cybook Odyssey
What about going back to firmware 1.5?
I did try 2.1 and now I am back on 2.0, because I do not like the way how the device acts with the new standby mode and how I have to initiate the shutdown.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
JanG
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinx View Post
What about going back to firmware 1.5?
I did try 2.1 and now I am back on 2.0, because I do not like the way how the device acts with the new standby mode and how I have to initiate the shutdown.
I gave that some serious thought, but it would mean I would have to give up folder support. I like being able to sort into folders. I didn't see 1.5 on their website, any idea where I can find it? (Just in case I decide to try it.)

--Jan.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:19 AM   #13
Godzil

Version 1.5 have majors bugs and is no longuer available (and is not compatible with all devices), there is only version 1.6 available for Gen3/Opus
Old 05-14-2011, 03:09 AM   #14
Flinx
Connoisseur
Flinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Cybook Muse Frontlight, Cybook Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
I didn't see 1.5 on their website, any idea where I can find it?
I don't know what "majors bugs" it may have (the parallel published ePub version 2.0 works without problems). If you want it, I could send it to you, because it is still in my download folder.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
JanG
Groupie

Thanks for the offer, Flinx, but I'd rather not go back to 1.5 with no folder suppport. I'll keep it in mind though in case I change my mind.

--Jan.