Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
waterdragon
waterdragon began at the beginning.

how to pay at least 20 dollars less for sony reader

Hi guys - just wanted to let you guys know how i got my sony ereader at least 20 dollars less by not paying shipping + 20 dollars off

So here it is go to crutchfield.com and look for your awesome machine the sony ereader. Place that in your cart. Since the product is over 200 dollars shipping is free. Also most people will not pay sales tax unless you live in virginia. Click next

On the payment method click on the blue box other payment method

find the box that says
Ordering from Crutchfield for the first time and sent here by a friend?

then input the referral code PB9XY - Z7EF7 - B2BQG

this will give you $20 off your first purchase of $200 or more but it wont be deducted automatically until a rep verifies you are a first time buyer. But place the name of Jodi as the rep that helped you and she will make sure it goes through. This helps me out and you too so its win win situation but this will only work for 2 people but the good thing is that those 2 people can place their refferel code here and it will work for them in their favor and so on and so forth.

highlight points

Free shipping
$20 dollar credit

Beats sonystyle store hands down

Sorry for the tax thingy - well atleast you dont need to pay shipping in the US and you get 20 dollars off

Last edited by waterdragon; 02-20-2007 at 01:59 PM.
waterdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
waterdragon

found a hassle less and easier way

heres an easier way

just put coupon code 3A706

and this will give you 20 dollars off automatically

unless you want to give me 20 dollars too then use the referrel code
Advert
Old 02-19-2007, 11:46 PM   #3
waterdragon

in total you will pay 329.99
Old 02-20-2007, 02:44 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do they ship internationally?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the American tax system is that one still has to pay tax even if one buys something in a different state, but one pays later, as a "use tax" in one's own state, rather than as a "sales tax" in the state of purchase. Is this not the case?

Last edited by HarryT; 02-20-2007 at 02:46 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:50 AM   #5
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Do they ship internationally?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the American tax system is that one still has to pay tax even if one buys something in a different state, but one pays later, as a "use tax" in one's own state, rather than as a "sales tax" in the state of purchase. Is this not the case?
Unless things have changed recently, I dunno of a "use tax" or any tax on inter-state commerce.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2007, 06:18 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm probably mistaken then. Just something I recall reading somewhere.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:56 AM   #7
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
Quote:
I'm probably mistaken then. Just something I recall reading somewhere.
Well, if Wikipedia's any indication, I'm just way too ignorant of the USA's tax system, even though I live in the US...

I'm guessing (hoping?) that the use tax only applies to certain states, or maybe just to non-Internet sales? Someone else can answer these questions better since I obviously can't.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Typically, any sales tax paid in a different country will be refunded on request, and suitable proof of purchase. On the other hand, your local customs office is usually expected to ensure you pay some kind of tax equivalent 'at home'.

In some cases, as in the EU, there are special arrangements.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ath
Typically, any sales tax paid in a different country will be refunded on request, and suitable proof of purchase. On the other hand, your local customs office is usually expected to ensure you pay some kind of tax equivalent 'at home'.

In some cases, as in the EU, there are special arrangements.
No, you misunderstand me. What I was referring to was the fact that the original poster was saying that, even for American purchasers, there would be no sales tax. I was wondering if this was in fact true, given that one has to pay "use tax" (at least in some places) equivalent to the amount of sales tax one would have paid had the item been purchased in one's own state.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
In a nutshell (as I understand it): the customer is responsible for paying sales tax (to his home state) on items bought by mail order from other states. In practice, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone actually doing so (I've no idea where I'd send it, frankly). I have heard rumors recently of some states starting to go after folks who haven't paid their home-state sales taxes, but so far only rumors. It sounds like the sort of thing only some place like California, and maybe Massachusetts or New York (city) would bother with.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks Nat - that's very helpful. Sorry - didn't mean to get into a discussion of tax systems; this is hardly the place for that .
Old 02-20-2007, 12:42 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, no! You mean ...? We didn't go ... OFF TOPIC did we?!?! Oh the horror! Oh, how shall we live with the shame?!?!?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #13
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Here in CT, it's part of our yearly income tax return filing. There's a section asking how much we've purchased online, and to include that in the amount of taxes we owe.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

The Great Republic of Texas doesn't stoop to such draconian measures as income taxes for its revenues. Nah, we pay rent (property taxes) to the state on our homes for that.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:07 PM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Here in the Commonwealth of Virginia we have an income tax paid to the state, a sales tax split between the state and local government, a property tax on houses and land paid to the county or city, a gross receipt tax paid on cars purchased, and a personal property tax (cars, trucks, trailers, boats, etc.) paid to the local government. In addition there is the somewhat normal group of use taxes like fuel, telephone, amusement, and DMV fees.

As for out of state sales taxes that were not charged, it is the citizen's responsibility to declare them and pay them to the state authorities.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote