Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
dsf767
dsf767 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Augen Gentouch

Hey Guys,

Saw this reader thought it may interest some of you.

http://www.augenus.com/indexhome.html/GENTOUCH.html

Its supposed to be in stock in Kmart this week on sale at $150

Here is a coupon to get it down to $145

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/4756...EAQ_072510.pdf

It looks like its going to be a much better tablet then the Novel. They say it has full market place access with Android 2.1 and no wonky UI.

The Kmart around me is supposed to be getting them in tomorrow.

Last edited by dsf767; 07-26-2010 at 01:59 PM.
dsf767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
I have called a few KMarts in my area, and they don't have them yet. I'll keep calling this week.

The only bad I see with this versus the Novel is the size - slightly slimmer screen. But, everything else seems superior -- Android Marketplace, 720p video, 2GB internal memory and Android 2.1. Sounds awesome.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
If your KMart doesn't have it, ask them to do a rain check. I did one over the phone and that locked in the sale price and created a special order to ensure a unit is delivered for me, which will be set aside and I'll get something in the (paper) mail letting me know when it's in stock. The guy said it'd probably be 2-3 weeks.

Or you could keep calling and hope you catch them right as the shipment arrives. The guy I talked to in the Seattle area store said they hadn't received anything as of last night, had no idea when they would, and that he had gotten a bunch (10s? 100s?) of calls about the unit already. Based on that, it sounds like demand is high and I felt safer putting in a rain check and waiting 2-3 weeks rather than stalking the store and hoping to get one of the 10 or so units in the shipment before the other hundreds of people who are doing the same beat me to it.

Last edited by toddos; 07-27-2010 at 08:49 PM.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Being the cynic that I am, I can’t help wondering how much K-Mart paid Engadget for the hype.

I believe I'll wait for a few folks to weigh in on battery life.

Last edited by wodin; 07-27-2010 at 08:14 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...droid-netbook/

Engadget got their hands on Augen’s crappy $99 Android netbook
July 27, 2010 in hardware news by Nate the great | 4 comments

Normally I wouldn’t start a title in such a negative tone, but I’ve seen this hardware before. Under no circumstances should you consider buying this. If someone offers to give you one, run away as fast as you can because they are obviously insane.

The Augen Gentouch74 has a 400MHz ARM CPU, 128MB of RAM, and runs Android 1.6. FYI: the Android spec requires a 1GHz CPU. Engadget are also seeing te same poor build quality that I experienced.

Run away! Run away!
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...droid-netbook/

Engadget got their hands on Augen’s crappy $99 Android netbook
July 27, 2010 in hardware news by Nate the great | 4 comments

Normally I wouldn’t start a title in such a negative tone, but I’ve seen this hardware before. Under no circumstances should you consider buying this. If someone offers to give you one, run away as fast as you can because they are obviously insane.

The Augen Gentouch74 has a 400MHz ARM CPU, 128MB of RAM, and runs Android 1.6. FYI: the Android spec requires a 1GHz CPU. Engadget are also seeing te same poor build quality that I experienced.

Run away! Run away!
I wonder if that's the one they're selling now: since the spec sheet says 256MB RAM and Android 2.1 - not 1.6.

Also - since when does Android need 1GHz? My Moto Droid has a 550MHz CPU, and I've heard nothing about it being below spec. I know 1GHz was rumored as a requirement for 3.0 - but that's not been confirmed.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
That's the netbook, not the tablet.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
It's real

As I commented yesterday in the other thread, my local Kmart had 10 and sold them all in one day. I have a rain check for one.

As for how this thing performs, have a look at this Youtube video. From what I see, it seems to perform pretty well for the price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfha5r6law0

Anxiously awaiting mine...
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:36 AM   #9
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems that this is the OEM version of the Augen Gentouch:

http://www.androidpads.com/2010/06/0...aller-budgets/

The battery has me worried a bit. Hopefully the Augen has a larger battery. I'll find out when I get my hands on one.

From the Youtube video, the Augen has no HDMI output, like the OEM version. The Augen does not list GPS or an accelerometer. I hope that was an oversight and they are included. And yes, there are a few buttons on the backside.

From the spec sheet for the CPU, there are quite a few peripherals built in. It may be possible to hack the Augen to add some missing features.

One more thing. The OEM version has a listed CPU speed of 600MHz. The Augen lists 800MHZ. The CPU spec sheet claims a maximum speed of 800MHz, with the CPU running at 1.5VDC. Only time will tell what the true speed of the Augen is.

Last edited by jgray; 07-28-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:49 AM   #10
jgray
Fanatic

Interesting CPU info

Go to this Wikipedia link and scroll down to the ARMv6KZ entry in the left column. In the right column, look at what devices use this class of ARM CPU. Seems that the Augen CPU is no slouch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture#ARM_cores

The other encouraging thing is that the Telechips TCC8900 has integrated video acceleration and is designed for use in video devices.

The CPU even has an embedded SATA interface. Anyone want to try bolting a 1TB SATA hard drive onto an Augen Gentouch?
Old 07-28-2010, 02:23 AM   #11
jgray
Fanatic

I found more info over at Slate Droid.

According to someone who talked to an Augen rep, the Gentouch has a G-sensor for switching between portrait and landscape. I'm not sure how a G-sensor is different from an accelerometer. The other good news is that the Gentouch is supposed to have a 2100mAh battery, as opposed to 1500mAh for the OEM unit. The Augen rep quoted 2-3 hours of video playing time. We'll see how this translates to reading or web surfing time.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:39 AM   #12
jgray
Fanatic

Last post for the night. I promise.

It's just amazing what information you can find on the net. Here is a link to another tablet with very similar specs to the Gentouch. This other tablet does have a different case and a few more features built in, but the basic specs look identical to the Gentouch.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs...olesalers.html

I also found a Youtube video of this other tablet. For what is demoed in the video, the Gentouch should perform the same. I'm not a gamer, but I'm impressed with the video performance on this little tablet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dy9_ImhJ28
Old 07-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
It's been discovered to only have a 600MHz 8902, not the advertised 800MHz. (Multiple references on slatedroid.)

No HDMI port, and no way that I've seen anyone of getting it into portrait mode so it either has no positional sensor or it's disabled ATM.

Another user @ slatedroid is reporting no luck with the market as in his apps won't download.

It's the Dawa D7.

I'm still waiting to see more info, but hopefully a Kmart around here won't have it so I can pick up a raincheck just in case...

Speed looks OK to me from the MrJn7 videos, and from what I've read elsewhere it's mostly the people w/recent Android phones and iPhones who have problems with speed/responsiveness while people with older Android/3g iPhones seem to think that it's not sluggish at all.

Yep, no HDMI port.

Just waiting to see some more hands on reviews as it might still be in the running, esp. if it can be overclocked some... that 2100mAh battery is a bit worrisome though, according to augenus 2-3h video, 5h standy... not very good at all...

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 07-28-2010 at 04:24 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #14
jgray
Fanatic

Augen is on top of things

I just saw this at the Augen site: http://augenus.com/indexhome.html/News.html

In response to some of the issues raised by those few who actually have a Gentouch78, Augen will be issuing a software update to patch at least some of the reported problems. Also, a new set of earbuds with the proper 2.5mm plug will be sent to those buyers who ask. I don't know about others, but I find this type of quick response impressive.

I emailed Augen to ask about the screen rotation issue, which is not mentioned in the patch news. I also asked about when we can expect an upgrade to Android 2.2, which is supposed to be much faster than 2.1.

Still waiting for my local Kmart to get stock...
Old 07-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #15
jgray
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
It's been discovered to only have a 600MHz 8902, not the advertised 800MHz. (Multiple references on slatedroid.)
Yes, I saw that. I also saw some discussion about whether the program used to report that speed was simply reading a number stored in the system, or if it was actually testing the speed. It will be interesting to find out which. Still, the speed I saw in the videos looks good for the price.

Quote:
No HDMI port, and no way that I've seen anyone of getting it into portrait mode so it either has no positional sensor or it's disabled ATM.
It may be of use to others, but I'm not sure what I'd do with an HDMI port on a small, handheld tablet. The OEM unit does have HDMI, so maybe it can be added by those who want it.

Quote:
Another user @ slatedroid is reporting no luck with the market as in his apps won't download.
Supposed to be fixed soon.

Quote:
It's the Dawa D7.
Yeah, I provided a link above.

Quote:
Speed looks OK to me from the MrJn7 videos, and from what I've read elsewhere it's mostly the people w/recent Android phones and iPhones who have problems with speed/responsiveness while people with older Android/3g iPhones seem to think that it's not sluggish at all.
The Wikipedia link I provided earlier shows that the Gentouch uses a similar ARM 11 CPU to the previous generation iPhones and other devices. Thus, the speed comparison doesn't surprise me. It certainly seems faster than the Nokia N800 I used to have.

Quote:
Just waiting to see some more hands on reviews as it might still be in the running, esp. if it can be overclocked some... that 2100mAh battery is a bit worrisome though, according to augenus 2-3h video, 5h standy... not very good at all...
Yes, the hackability of this interests me as well. As I also mentioned, the battery life is definitely a big question. Other than the halfway decent specs and the low price, what really puts the icing on the cake is that I can get this locally (eventually) and I have 90 days to decide if I want to keep it.

Last edited by jgray; 07-29-2010 at 02:02 AM.