Notices

Old 03-31-2008, 06:21 PM   #16
hbernier
hbernier began at the beginning.

Device: REB1100,REB1200,hopefully soon a Gen3 Cybook
Cybook Firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
For anyone that's considering buying a Cybook and is a little put off by the "GIV US FIRMWARE NOOOOWWWW!", then please bear in mind that generally speaking it's not an absolute necessity. The Cybook works fine at the moment, the firmware is for extra functionality and polish - and some minor bugs.

It's not like we're all sitting here with useless devices waiting for Bookeen to fix em.
I agree. But, it would be nice to be able to use the "Trash Can" button when I'm done with book.

The Cybook has been rather interesting to use with my MacBook; I can drop and play both DRM'd and home grown mobipocket books. However, I'm having issues with Parallels and XP Pro SP2. Mobipocket does not want to
recognize the Cybook.

Suggestions?

Howard
hbernier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:00 PM   #17
hmls
Enthusiast
hmls began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Question

Does anyone know, is this update supposed to fix the bookmarking bug? More times than not my Cybook does not take me back to the right spot in the book I am reading. This is incredibly annoying on books that don't have a TOC.
hmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2008, 08:01 PM   #18
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmls View Post
Does anyone know, is this update supposed to fix the bookmarking bug? More times than not my Cybook does not take me back to the right spot in the book I am reading. This is incredibly annoying on books that don't have a TOC.
I fixed this issue on my Cybook by not syncing books from the computer to the Cybook. I haven't encountered the bookmark problem again since I started copying my books directly to my storage card.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:40 AM   #19
lee1234
Enthusiast
lee1234 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader, Nokia E61
Does anyone know what features have been added or updated?
lee1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:16 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No. Wait and see - it's all part of the excitement! It would take all the fun out of it if we knew in advance what we were getting .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2008, 02:41 AM   #21
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
I fixed this issue on my Cybook by not syncing books from the computer to the Cybook. I haven't encountered the bookmark problem again since I started copying my books directly to my storage card.
That bookmark bug is a funny one. I never had any trouble with it. I have my books in the main memory. But, indeed, I simply copy them there with the explorer.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:16 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It may be due to a faulty SD card. People have reported that using a different SD card solves the problem for them. I've never experienced it either.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:05 AM   #23
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Or a special MobiPocket format tag that are supported by the reader.
Those "special" tag is one of the wost thing about this format. I wish I could use the CSS page-break property instead of the Mobipocket page break for example.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:05 AM   #24
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
For anyone that's considering buying a Cybook and is a little put off by the "GIV US FIRMWARE NOOOOWWWW!", then please bear in mind that generally speaking it's not an absolute necessity. The Cybook works fine at the moment, the firmware is for extra functionality and polish - and some minor bugs.

It's not like we're all sitting here with useless devices waiting for Bookeen to fix em.
Are you sure about it?
You know, after reading this forum for more than one year I grew to be a bit sceptical about some things.
For example:
HarryT was all over the moon about CyBook Gen3 dictionary support and how wonderful and useful thing it is and how cool and what a major drawback it is on a part of Sony not to support dictionaries.
Guess what I learned just a week ago in one of his comments? That until recently it had a small bug, really almost negligible. Nothing really serious, or to worry about - CyBook Gen3 would lock up after 3-4 word lookups in a dictionary.

So, IMHO polishing bugs is a lot more important than adding new features, although it is a lot better not to have bugs at all.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:34 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
HarryT was all over the moon about CyBook Gen3 dictionary support and how wonderful and useful thing it is and how cool and what a major drawback it is on a part of Sony not to support dictionaries.
Guess what I learned just a week ago in one of his comments? That until recently it had a small bug, really almost negligible. Nothing really serious, or to worry about - CyBook Gen3 would lock up after 3-4 word lookups in a dictionary.
A bug which they've now fixed. Even WITH the bug, though, it was still a damned useful feature; a dictionary lookup which occasionally doesn't work is better than no dictionary lookup at all .
Old 04-01-2008, 06:09 AM   #26
pieter
Connoisseur
pieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enoughpieter will become famous soon enough

Device: CyBook Gen3
I just ordered a Cybook, but I have to say that the amount of enthousiasm the announcement of a soon to be firmware update really is kinda telling about the machine. Most reviews comment on the "beta"-feel of the software on it, and this whole thread seems to underline that feeling.

Excitement! Finally! maybe now the product we paid a lot of money for will come out of beta! yeah!
pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:25 AM   #27
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A bug which they've now fixed. Even WITH the bug, though, it was still a damned useful feature; a dictionary lookup which occasionally doesn't work is better than no dictionary lookup at all .
As the saying goes: to each its own.

If I paid £280 for a gadget and one of its the most important features would lock my reader every 3-4 words, I would go balistic! It is not as you say now: dictionary lookup ocasionally does not work - it locks up reader, at least that is what you said before. Lock up! Completely destroying a reading session atmosphere.

So, no. Thank you very much. I prefer to use a small encarta dictionary and have a non-bugged reader.

Let alone, that I would expect to hear about such bug from the moment it was discovered...but I am too honest and not a businessman though.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:49 AM   #28
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
As the saying goes: to each its own.

If I paid £280 for a gadget and one of its the most important features would lock my reader every 3-4 words, I would go balistic! It is not as you say now: dictionary lookup ocasionally does not work - it locks up reader, at least that is what you said before. Lock up! Completely destroying a reading session atmosphere.
I am one of the first people who got the Cybook. So I'm working with the first version of the software and I never ever had any problems with my dictionary.

The only thing I need from the software update would be user definable buttons and perhaps a better folder support.

Last edited by Ortep; 04-01-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:52 AM   #29
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
I am one of the first people who got the Cybook. So I'm working with the first version of the software and I never ever had any problems with my dictionary.
Well, HarryT said he had.
It is not a figment of my imagination
Old 04-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, HarryT said he had.
It is not a figment of my imagination
It happened with some dictionaries but not others.