Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #31
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I once stayed at a hotel (in Little Rock, Arkansas) where they add a daily safe fee on your bill, whether you use the safe or not, as a line item. They removed it when I strongly objected that I had not used the safe at all, but were quite defensive about it. I may have seen a place or two state there would be a charge if the safe were activated, but couldn't swear to it.
I put that kind of stuff in a drawer or a bag if housekeeping is likely to come, but otherwise I leave it out.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:22 AM   #32
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
There are some room fridges in Australia where every time you move a bottle, it registers as a purchase from the mini bar. Although, this was some years ago now and I have never seen one since. I reckon enough people complained about the charge as to make it not worth the angst. I had moved a champagne bottle out to make way for a bottle of milk for our baby!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 02:33 AM   #33
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
At the risk of hijacking the thread, those places with motion sensors in the minibar (or as they euphemistically call them "Refreshment Centers") usually have a prominent notice not to disturb anything: You Touched It, You Bought it!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:38 AM   #34
fidjit
fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.fidjit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Have a look at Timbuk2 Freestyle messenger www.timbuk2.com.

It's their extra small messenger with a floating pocket for your net book or ereader.

Not too big, not too small, not too handbaggy ( at least to me )
fidjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:11 AM   #35
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
My Kindle was stolen in a London pub in early December. I went in for lunch with a couple of guys. The Kindle was in a large open shopping bag, but not noticeable. I put the bag on the floor near my feet, but of course the pub was crowded. There was nothing else of value in the bag. I don't know whether the thief knew what s/he was taking.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 05:39 AM   #36
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I understand that if hotel staff steal stuff, you stand a chance of recovering it, or at least getting compensation. But I've had hotel rooms broken into twice by outsiders, so I'm still nervous ablout leaving valuables on display.

I've just had a thought. Remember how in old movies precious items were often hidden in hollowed out books? I'm going to try doing that with an outsized paperback and see if it works. Then my Kindle could be left in the room in full view as a paperback book. Who steals books??!!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #37
baccilus
Enthusiast
baccilus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Keep it in your suitcase when you go out. If you are afraid someone will take your suitcase too, chain lock it to the bed. If you are afraid that someone will take the bed with your suitcase and Kindle, you are Paranoid. He he.
baccilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #38
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
There are some room fridges in Australia where every time you move a bottle, it registers as a purchase from the mini bar. Although, this was some years ago now and I have never seen one since. I reckon enough people complained about the charge as to make it not worth the angst. I had moved a champagne bottle out to make way for a bottle of milk for our baby!
My Husband and I saw that last year when we were Australia for our honeymoon. We removed bottles to put in his Diet Coke and were charged for the goods. We got the charges removed.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #39
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
You get that in some hotels in Vegas as well.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #40
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by baccilus View Post
Keep it in your suitcase when you go out. If you are afraid someone will take your suitcase too, chain lock it to the bed. If you are afraid that someone will take the bed with your suitcase and Kindle, you are Paranoid. He he.

LOL dude.....
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #41
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Don't hotels have Gideon bibles? Just tuck your kindle in there. They'll never look.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #42
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Don't hotels have Gideon bibles? Just tuck your kindle in there. They'll never look.
Brilliant idea! In fact, steal a Gideon bible and hollow it out.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #43
Kindle Worm
Enthusiast
Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
To me, it's the same as traveling with a laptop. Put it away! Or carry it with you.
Kindle Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #44
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
See, I knew there was a reason why I don't travel!! (Oh yeah, it's called "lack of money...." )

There are bags that secure the Kindle if you need to take it with you (won't help, of course, if you leave the bag lying around, but still, they are a bit more "stealth" so people might not know what you are carrying.) ProfCrash actually did a mini-review of the Pacsafe MetroSafe she mentioned earlier in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=anti-theft . Here is another bag that looks like it might fit the bill: http://www.amazon.com/Travelon-42242.../dp/B002EQ9NEM (For some reason, however, the Travelon bag has a very limited shipping area.)
Quote:
Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. and to APO/FPO addresses.
Holly

Last edited by OakIris; 01-24-2011 at 07:07 PM.
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #45
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I do so love my PacSafe Metros. They carry a good amount, are light weight, and make it harder for a thief to steal your stuff when it is on you.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, security, traveling