Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-30-2007, 03:45 AM   #1
westsan
Enthusiast
westsan is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Thumbs down My reader seems to "run away" out of control...Just me?

My reader often seems to run away out of control from me pushing the buttons too many times when it is unresponsive. To me this is unnerving and sends me off into another galaxy (book) or audio where I dont want to be.

It seems to enact all inserted commands retroactively
and doesnt know when to stop

I have even had it freeze as a result of this before.

Is this happening to anybody else? or is it just me?
I personally find this annoying. Am I overeacting?
(Maybe it's just me pushing it to be responsive)
westsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Why would it be unresponsive I guess is the underlying question? I don't think I've ever had an occassion where it was so slow that I pushed button 10+ times trying to get it wake up.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Hey guys! This ain't no Nintendo! Curb your thumbs!

You've got to slow down to its level. Isn't reading all about that? Slowing down?

You can see those people speeding about at 5 o'clock. They've been pushed all day to produce, produce, produce. They rush out of they're on that same pattern...

Woah! I said woah!......................... Stupid dragon!... *

* Registered by Warner Brothers
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:33 PM   #4
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
It has happened to me at least several - at least two or three - times. The basics:
1. I push the button. (Any button seems to do it, but I think it's most commonly Page Forward or Menu.)
2. I wait about 3-5 seconds and nothing's happened.
3. I think I might not have pushed it completely.
4. I push it again, solidly.
5. I wait about 3-5 seconds and nothing's happened.
6. I may push it again a third time, or, thinking it may have locked up I push the menu key a couple of times, and/or number buttons a couple of times.
7. About 3-5 seconds later (total elapsed time 15-20-30 seconds or so,) all of the commands execute in rapid fire order. Thus finding myself someplace else entirely, and takes about 30 seconds to navigate back to where I was.

I think that once in awhile the Reader gets caught in some kind of processing loop, and after the loop resolves it executes whatever is in the keyboard buffer. (There must be one, since it has certainly saved all the button presses.)

Strangely enough, my DVR does the same thing sometimes.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you have a lot of books on it? I mean is the internal memory nearly full?
Or do you read from a flash card?
Advert
Old 03-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
As frustrating as I can imagine this is for you, I like the "type ahead" feature... it allows me to hit a button sequence to do things like go to a bookmark and delete it and go to the next bookmark, which is back to my current place.

I agree, that if you are seeing 3-5 sec lags, that's a bit much unless you either have a lot loaded up or you are looking at a special document, say complex pdf or changing the size of a document loaded from the sd card instead of the desktop software (which pre-formats the different font sizes).
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:46 PM   #7
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Do you have a lot of books on it? I mean is the internal memory nearly full?
Or do you read from a flash card?
I've put virtually everything on my SD card. About 30-40 MB, currently sitting in the neighborhood of 35 books in varying formats. I'd bet (if you were headed that way) that it has something to do with firing up/reading from the SD card.

Its only just slightly irritating when it happens; and its not nearly enough for me to worry or complain about. Just seeing westsan's report compelled me to share so westsan doesn't feel like he or she is
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

The designers at Sony were right in allowing such a tiny amount of memory to the reader. You can not use it all between visits at the computer. Personally the most I used the reader before going back to check on emails was around 8-10 hours readtime. That was roughly half a megabyte of data.
Having one's collection on a card slows the device needlessly. I can only consider it for long travel periods. Going away for two years might warrant it!
I know there is a certain anxiousness in preparing a collection for format, and that there is fun in anticipation of the next book to read but it can all be accomplished with a simple reading plan. Then, as the time comes, at the same email visit with the computer, the upload is done.
Preparing books is a pleasure, not a chore to be done with.
Believe it or not, I have fewer than 10 books at a time on the reader, making it much faster in operation. Try it. Empty the reader, install only one book, you will feel a slight difference in operation. Of course if you read a different book only to suit your present mood, a wide selection is adequate but how many moods can one go through between stints at the computer?

There is more enjoyment of life through the application of patience. At first it looks more like discipline but the pleasure brought forth quickly dictates the habits of slowing down and setting to the reading inspired by an author.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:10 AM   #9
westsan
Enthusiast
westsan is on a distinguished road

Yes, and no, I had lots of data.
I had one poorly formatted PDF I was trying to read. It wasnt responding, I started pressing around and it went haywire...!!

One bad apple tends to spoil the whole bunch type of syndrome.

BR>>>

"IF" type ahead is a feature... how many "type aheads" do you need?
I was very preturbed when it went bezerk with seemingly 20+ commands while trouble shooting because of 1 file (downloaded from Oracle).
No. not my favorite 'feature'.

I use the reader to contain my manuals and reference stuff. I need to access data in a reasonable time. If not a dog eared page or a printout serves me almost better.

Last edited by westsan; 04-02-2007 at 12:26 AM.
westsan is offline   Reply With Quote