Notices

Old 09-21-2008, 07:20 AM   #31
godel10
Connoisseur
godel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Librie, Irex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I'm quite sure. US prices are always quoted without sales tax.
Thanks for the information. This is something I didn't know.

Just a question, if the price without taxes is 299$ I guess that people who have bought the reader in US for this price have not paid any tax. Is it legal to sell a reader without including any taxes at all?
godel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #32
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by godel10 View Post
Thanks for the information. This is something I didn't know.

Just a question, if the price without taxes is 299$ I guess that people who have bought the reader in US for this price have not paid any tax. Is it legal to sell a reader without including any taxes at all?
I'm not sure I understand the question. Whose taxes should be included? I don't believe the USA has a national VAT/GST on goods and services, so aside from any individual state taxes that might be applicable and that individual retailers might be obliged to collect for the state they reside in, what taxes are you suggesting are not being included that might give rise to any notion of illegality?

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #33
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I'm not sure I understand the question. Whose taxes should be included? I don't believe the USA has a national VAT/GST on goods and services, so aside from any individual state taxes that might be applicable and that individual retailers might be obliged to collect for the state they reside in, what taxes are you suggesting are not being included that might give rise to any notion of illegality?
Marc is correct. There is no national sales tax in the US (no equivalent of the VAT). Individual states may have sales taxes. (Mine does not.) It is sometimes the case that states require a retailer to collect taxes for the state the purchaser resides in, though this is actually fairly rare for most products.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #34
godel10
Connoisseur
godel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Librie, Irex DR1000S
Sorry for my misinformation. I thought that in USA taxes were lower, but not that there were no taxes. It is an always surprising country.
godel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #35
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by godel10 View Post
Sorry for my misinformation. I thought that in USA taxes were lower, but not that there were no taxes. It is an always surprising country.
We have plenty of taxes, they are just collected a bit differently. But, all US taxes are in the form of income taxes. Of course, there are exceptions. We have excise taxes on stuff like tires, gasoline, cigarettes and other things that do go to the federal government.

BOB
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #36
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Almost all US states do have sales tax, but they are only collected at the point of sale when the merchant has a relationship with the state. For example FictionWise collects New Jersey taxes (7%) on New Jersey residents, see Taxes at Fictionwise. In principle individuals are responsible for paying sales taxes if they are not collected by the seller, but except for big purchases such as cars this is unenforceable.

There are often calls for taxes on internet sales, but so far the congress has explicitly banned such taxes.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!