Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #14776
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler. Very good British mystery set in war time London and 2001 with the same characters.

Next up The Dancing Wu Li Masters by Gary Zukav an overview of modern physics
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #14777
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Book of Kells by R.A.MacAvoy.
Which was indeed a rather nice fantasy involving 10th century Ireland. I'm very pleased I bought it at fictionwise when I could.

Next: Sabazel by Lillian Stewart Carl.

Another fantasy, first in a series, apparently. Let's see if I like it. I hope I do, as I seem to have bought the others in the series at the same time, back in June 2007!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #14778
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I finished Cold Days by Jim Butcher tonight. Wow, I'm already impatiently waiting the next in the series!

Up next: The Yard by Alex Grecian.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #14779
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Hobbit and James Potter And The Vault Of Destinies

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Zowie! What a fantastic book! WOW!!

To me, Cold Days is the best, most exciting, most thrilling and most informative Dresden Files book so far. Also Cold Days has finally given me some insight and understanding as to just what that final Apocalyptic Trilogy that Jim promises for the finale to this series might contain.

I'm going to re-read The Hobbit next.

Really enjoyed The Hobbit and though I called it a re-read my original read was in the early 70's and I sure had forgotten and/or misremembered a lot! Now back to my re-read of James Potter And The Vault Of Destinies.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #14780
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
She is/was wonderful!
Either she is or she was. She cannot be both. Which is it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #14781
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Just finished Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton.
My condolences.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 AM   #14782
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Just remembered this story she wrote called "Speech Sounds." It's wonderful and available on line here: http://www.e-reading.org.ua/chapter....astelands.html
Thanks for that. I've been wondering lately about this author. This might be a good taste test.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #14783
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Thanks for that. I've been wondering lately about this author. This might be a good taste test.
Sure, and I'd certainly recommend her 'Parable of the Sower' novel.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #14784
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just finished Donna Fasano's new romance Take Me, I'm Yours. http://www.amazon.com/Take-Me-Im-You...d_sim_kstore_3

She's my fav romance author, has been since her days writing for Harlequin under the name of Donna Clayton.
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #14785
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Now for something completely different, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, compiled by Nate the great.
That was fun! It had been a long time since I read either of those books and reading them together works well. It took a while for me to get into Huck Finn due to the language and perspective (all from his point of view), but once I did I didn't want to stop.

Now I am going to read Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater. It has been over 20 years since I have read this and I want to see if it is appropriate for my kids or not yet. Should be a fun and quick read.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #14786
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Currently reading: A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane
On Deck: Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Just finished Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton.
Me too, and I was pleasantly surprised at its depth. The characters were very well-drawn and of a type to draw in the reader's interests. This story will stick with me for quite a while.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #14787
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I'm reading The Last Policeman. I can't seem to get away from apocalyptic tales. I understand this is part of a trilogy? I got it from the library and am enjoying it thus far.

Warm Bodies was good. It was such a different take on Zombies. I would have liked to find out more about what happens after...As I was typing that, I checked in on Goodreads and the author is writing a sequel! It may be coming out in 2014.

Still listening to The Wind-up Bird Chronicles by Murakami. I don't get too much chance to listen on weekends as that is when I read and I don't have the long commute that necessitates audiobooks that I do during the week.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #14788
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I just began Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I've seen several movie versions of the tale but never actually read it until now. I might read the other Dickens Christmas stories when I'm done.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #14789
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
I just began Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I've seen several movie versions of the tale but never actually read it until now. I might read the other Dickens Christmas stories when I'm done.
Is it that time of the year again...

I read it for the first time last Christmas season. I think I'll have to read it again this year. Thanks for the reminder.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #14790
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I am reading "Ethan Frome" right now.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote