Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
jennym
Labrador lover
jennym began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Question Covers I've applied don't download to my Nook Color ...

I'm just setting up my library in Calibre (fabulous program, BTW!). Have done really well, removing the DRM and converting to epub books for my new Nook Color. But, I've run into 2 snags, can't find an answer.

1. Some epub books I got from the Gutenberg site don't have covers, so I applied covers found from Amazon or Google. They show in Calibre, but when I download to my Nook, they don't show ... still has the ugly brown book. I even tried opening the book file in Calibre, found the "cover.jpg" file and copied to my Nook thumbnail file (renamed to match the book file name). Still doesn't show on my Nook book list. Is there any way to do this???

2. The other snag; in Calibre when I click on the "Device" or SD card, it's supposed to show a list of books on the Nook. But, they are blank. Yet, when I click on "Library", it indicates the books in main memory or the SD card. Anyone know why they aren't showing up? A fix?

Thanks, this is lots of fun, GREAT program for organizing ebooks. And, nice to be able to shop for Amazon Kindle books too and just convert for my Nook!
jennym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennym View Post
I'm just setting up my library in Calibre (fabulous program, BTW!). Have done really well, removing the DRM and converting to epub books for my new Nook Color. But, I've run into 2 snags, can't find an answer.

1. Some epub books I got from the Gutenberg site don't have covers, so I applied covers found from Amazon or Google. They show in Calibre, but when I download to my Nook, they don't show ... still has the ugly brown book. I even tried opening the book file in Calibre, found the "cover.jpg" file and copied to my Nook thumbnail file (renamed to match the book file name). Still doesn't show on my Nook book list. Is there any way to do this???

2. The other snag; in Calibre when I click on the "Device" or SD card, it's supposed to show a list of books on the Nook. But, they are blank. Yet, when I click on "Library", it indicates the books in main memory or the SD card. Anyone know why they aren't showing up? A fix?

Thanks, this is lots of fun, GREAT program for organizing ebooks. And, nice to be able to shop for Amazon Kindle books too and just convert for my Nook!
Did you use 'Send to device' or 'Save to Disk' to get books onto your Nook? (These force covers and Metadata updates into the delivered copy)

Do you have a Search or Restriction in place when you did this? Those will filter what you can see.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
jennym
Labrador lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Did you use 'Send to device' or 'Save to Disk' to get books onto your Nook? (These force covers and Metadata updates into the delivered copy)

Do you have a Search or Restriction in place when you did this? Those will filter what you can see.
I used "send to device".

Please explain what you mean by a "search or restriction in place". You mean some option in Calibre?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennym View Post
I used "send to device".

Please explain what you mean by a "search or restriction in place". You mean some option in Calibre?
The Left side of the Search bar has a box for a saved search to be applied (Restriction). It should simply state 'Restrict to' and the words (all books) should be showing to the right (NOT highlighted in Yellow) if no restriction.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
jennym
Labrador lover

Smile I've GOT the answer!

OK, , I figured it out! After adding books to my calibre library, you edit the metadata, download it, edit metatags and select the preferred cover picture. No problem. Then, for Kindle books and other formats, I converted the books to epub and loaded to my Nook. Worked fine, since the cover picture was obviously "in" the book itself.

But, for epub books from the Gutenberg site, libraries, etc., I edited the metadata, selected a cover picture, but DIDN'T COVERT them since they were already in epub format! Thus, on my Nook, they didn't have the cover I'd selected in calibre.

Solution is to "convert individually", epub to epub; check the box "use cover from source file", and convert. Then, download to your Nook. Viola!!! So happy ... calibre is wonderful!!!

Last edited by jennym; 03-08-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: mistake

Tags
book lists, cover, cover image, device list