Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
1Bookworm
Enthusiast
1Bookworm doesn't litter1Bookworm doesn't litter

Device: blackberry, laptop, Kindle3
Kindle Power Charger / Adapter

Hi,

I was given a K3 power charger / adapter for Australia which I have been using for about 8 months.

I have just noticed that it is not charging my K3 anymore. It got warm when it was charging my K3 but I thought that was normal and then just stopped working.

I'm now using my USB cable but would like to have the power adapter when i travel.

Can I get it fixed? If possible, I don't want to buy another one.

Also I have a blackberry - can I use the charger from the blackberry on K3. I dont want to try it out in case I blow up my K3.

Thank you
Bernadette
1Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can use any USB charger with the Kindle. They can be bought at very low prices. But if your Amazon one has broken, why not contact Kindle CS and get it replaced? If it's only 8 months old it's still under guarantee.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
1Bookworm
Enthusiast

Thanks Harry but I didn't buy it from Amazon - someone gave it to me (but it is an original Amazon Kindle power charger for Aust) so I'm not sure how long they had it for so it might be out of warranty.

My USB cable still works but I prefer to have a power adapter so that I don't have to take a laptop with me when I travel.

Thanks.
B
Old 08-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
search result

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bookworm View Post
Thanks Harry but I didn't buy it from Amazon - someone gave it to me (but it is an original Amazon Kindle power charger for Aust) so I'm not sure how long they had it for so it might be out of warranty.

My USB cable still works but I prefer to have a power adapter so that I don't have to take a laptop with me when I travel.

Thanks.
B
here's an amazon search result for wall usb charger.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
1Bookworm
Enthusiast

Thanks Alan, but I can't use any of these in Australia.

I'll try Amazon.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool oops!

Quote:

I'll try Amazon.
well, i couldn't find any info as to where you reside, so i assumed. let us all know if you find something affordable that'll work for you.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:16 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Doesn't have to be from Amazon; any USB charger will do, and you should be able to get one of those in any electronic shop.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:13 AM   #8
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
If you travel a lot it might also be a good idea to spend a few bucks on a 12v cigarette-lighter USB charger which can be used in any car anywhere in the world, available from pretty much any decent audio or computer store. I find mine indispensable, and it saves messing with the craziness of all those different wall-plug configurations around the globe!
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:

I'll try Amazon.
It does seem that there should be chargers comparable to what Alan gave you links for available in Australia.

I've purchased generic USB wall chargers so that I can charge many devices. I even have one that is solar so that I can just set it in the sun and plug a USB in (good for camping trips).
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:11 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:

I'll try Amazon.
This is probably too late, but I know that the charger I use for my Sony PRS 650 also works very well for my Kindle3. I got the Sony charger from the Myer store in Launceston, Tasmania.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Hi,

I was given a K3 power charger / adapter for Australia which I have been using for about 8 months.

I have just noticed that it is not charging my K3 anymore. It got warm when it was charging my K3 but I thought that was normal and then just stopped working.

I'm now using my USB cable but would like to have the power adapter when i travel.

Can I get it fixed? If possible, I don't want to buy another one.

Also I have a blackberry - can I use the charger from the blackberry on K3. I dont want to try it out in case I blow up my K3.

Thank you
Bernadette
Transformers are about the most reliable pieces of equipment out there, but when they fail, that's it. A huge one from a power station or suchlike might be worth repairing, but not a household one. Sorry.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #12
1Bookworm
Enthusiast

Thank you for your answers. Amazon recommended that I get a new one as it can't be repaired.

I haven't brought anything yet as I'm using my laptop to charge it but will be travelling again so I have to do something soon.

Terencek - I saw some car chargers on ebay but wasn't sure whether its one size fits all or do I have to get one that fits my car's cigerette lighter. Do you know?

Alex - thank you for letting me know about Myers. Also I read that the K is coming to Woolies and Dick Smith so I should be able to buy one from them. that way I'll save on postage.

Erik - where did you buy your solar charger from? I think that would be really neat to have.

By the way I also saw some power adapters for K3 on ebay for $3.50 - do you think they are save to use?

thank you for your help
B

Last edited by 1Bookworm; 09-01-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
By the way I also saw some power adapters for K3 on ebay for $3.50 - do you think they are save to use?
Personally, I'd be kinda wary of some of those. I have had less-than-good luck with buying some things on Ebay thinking I'd save a few bucks, but wound up paying more in the end cause the item was crap and I had to just pony up the dough for the "real-deal." I'd probably look at the sellers history and make sure the feedback is good. If there were several similar items sold with the solid feedback given, it would give me a little more peace of mind.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #14
1Bookworm
Enthusiast

Great advice - thanks for your help.

Update: Was given a blackberry charger that works on my K3!

Last edited by 1Bookworm; 09-04-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #15
daramaya
daramaya began at the beginning.

Device: Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
This is a waste of 10 dollars. You can get a plug adaptor at any Radio Shack type store for less than a dollar. They probably even have them on sale at Amazon for pennies.

Kindle Accessories › Power Adapters Kindle Store | by Dara-Maya |

daramaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adapter, charger, kindle, kindle3, power