Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 03:46 AM   #16
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Another pet peeve: people who write "myself" for "I". It's the freaking reflexive form, dudes. "I went there myself" is good; "Joe and myself went there" is bad. As with anything else there are weird exceptions, but as a general rule, "myself" must come after "I".

And don't get me started on the people who think "whom" is a more sophisticated form of "who", nor the ones who think the indefinite article used before a word beginning with a vowel should be spelled "and".
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:38 AM   #17
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
What about using "passion" as a synonym for "love"? Technically, I suppose this is somewhat acceptable, but I dislike the practice, nonetheless.

Or confusing "accept" with "except"? Personally, I also dislike the interchangeable way in which "licence" and "license" are used. I was always taught (under British curriculum) that licence is a noun ("I have a driving licence") but license is a verb ("I am licensed to drive"). But I suppose this might come under the differences between American and British English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Do the people who use "decimate" to mean "devastate" go to that part of hell too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It amuses me when I read "decimate" being used in the sense of "everybody being killed", or something similar. Decimation was, of course, the punishment for cowardice in the Roman legions, and involved (as the name suggests) every tenth man being killed by his comrades. ie a 90% survival rate.
It seems both are valid.

Definition of "decimate" according to Merriam-Webster:
Quote:
1 : to select by lot and kill every tenth man of
2 : to exact a tax of 10 percent from <poor as a decimated Cavalier — John Dryden>
3 a : to reduce drastically especially in number <cholera decimated the population> b : to cause great destruction or harm to <firebombs decimated the city> <an industry decimated by recession>
Or Oxford, if you prefer (which I do, myself [*checks with Worldwalker*]):
Quote:
verb
[with object]
1 - kill, destroy, or remove a large proportion of:
the inhabitants of the country had been decimated
drastically reduce the strength or effectiveness of (something):
public transport has been decimated
2 - historicalkill one in every ten of (a group of people, originally a mutinous Roman legion) as a punishment for the whole group
*checks with Worldwalker whether his punctuation was satisfactory*

Last edited by afa; 07-28-2010 at 06:40 AM.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #18
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Reading this thread has reminded me of the horror that was Mr Lindsey, my first english language teacher. The man could give Hitler a run for his money on the anti-social stakes.

I often wondered if he hadn't missed his calling as baseball pitcher, judging from the way he could wang the blackboard rubber across the whole class with unswerving accuracy.

*shudder*
NickSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #19
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Oh bliss, a sane discussion on the hyphenation of anal-retentive, comprehension of the difference between comprise and consist, its vs. it's, only on MR, joy!

May I suggest a crusade against all perpetrators of the redundant and superfluous unnecessary apostrophe? (As in "Direction's", "computer's repaired", "panini's"...) - I think a slow roast around gas mark 5 would be suitable punishment?
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #20
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I carry Liquid Paper.

A while ago, I noticed that the gas pumps at a membership warehouse I shop at (Sam's Club) had signs saying "Member s Only" with a gap where a greengrocer's apostrophe had apparently been peeled off. I've been wondering what happened ever since. Did someone in management get a clue, or did a fellow member do some editing with a pocketknife?
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #21
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Fortunately...... Despite all the pet-peeving language is an ocean ....not a canal.... I quite like all the mistakes and variety..... As for spelling How arbitrary can you get.... Read a few linguistic books and I would say many would stop complaining about how a person uses their language.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:47 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecE View Post
May I suggest a crusade against all perpetrators of the redundant and superfluous unnecessary apostrophe? (As in "Direction's", "computer's repaired", "panini's"...) - I think a slow roast around gas mark 5 would be suitable punishment?
Arrrggghhh - don't get me started on "paninis", with or without an apostrophe .

PANINI IS A PLURAL AND DOES NOT NEED AN "S".

Sorry - just had to get that off my chest.

The singular is "panino". Exactly the same is true of other Italian masculine plural words like "spaghetti", "ravioli", "grafitti", etc. They are all plural nouns, No "s", please, with or without an apostrophe!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:24 AM   #23
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

I've always treated "ravioli" as Latin and refer to a single one as a "raviolus" as in "There's only one raveolus left; you want it?" So it should be "raviolo"? Tough. "Raviolus" sounds funnier.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:30 AM   #24
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
All these errors are making my eye's hurt.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:31 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I've always treated "ravioli" as Latin and refer to a single one as a "raviolus" as in "There's only one raveolus left; you want it?" So it should be "raviolo"? Tough. "Raviolus" sounds funnier.
That's right - the 2nd declension masculine "-us" ending of Latin has become "-o" in Italian. So if you're not very hungry you might decide to have a spaghetto or a raviolo for lunch. Or you might very mildly deface a wall with a graffito .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #26
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Neat! One of these years, I really do need to learn Latin. I've actually seen "graffito" used in print (correctly, even!).
Old 07-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Another pet peeve: people who write "myself" for "I". It's the freaking reflexive form, dudes. "I went there myself" is good; "Joe and myself went there" is bad. As with anything else there are weird exceptions, but as a general rule, "myself" must come after "I".
Don't forget the people who use I instead of me as the direct object. "It belongs to John and I."
Quote:
And don't get me started on the people who think "whom" is a more sophisticated form of "who", nor the ones who think the indefinite article used before a word beginning with a vowel should be spelled "and".
I know someone who does that. I've taken to throwing things at him. (I've gotten quite good at not quite hitting him.)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #28
Redfox
aka Anne Lyle
Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I hate it when supermarkets hang signs over the express checkout saying "10 items or less". It's fewer, OK!!! Less is used with mass nouns (water, gold, space), fewer with count nouns (pigs, watermelons, nuclear reactors) and numbers.

OTOH folk etymology and spelling is sometimes funny. When I lived in South London, I saw a greengrocer's sign giving the price for 'Brockley' (a borough a few miles away)

I have no problem with usage changing over the years - 'nice' and 'silly' differ widely from their original meanings - and yes, some people are dyslexic and honestly can't help it. But if even official sources can't be bothered, it sets a bad example...

Last edited by Redfox; 07-29-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Redfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:05 AM   #29
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
And then, Redfox, there's the famous 'grocer's apostrophe' ... orange's $2 a pound ... best price's for fresh veg. Neil

PS: Grocer's singular possessive in this case. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #30
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
How about when people "could care less" - when actually, they couldn't care less.

Oi! That one drives me bonkers. In fact, there is a relatively new song out in which the singer uses the "could care less" phrase.

No matter how many times I hear it, I shout the proper phrase at the radio. Doesn't work.

Then there was the time I scratched an apostrophe on public restroom signs that initially read "Mens" and "Womens."

I couldn't care less if someone didn't like my actions.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote