Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #16
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Nice plan through Solavei! The Nexus 4 doesn't do LTE/4G data, so I'm not looking for that, but otherwise I'd be pretty interested.

Got the bumper w/ the phone, but just ordered a case and screen protectors for the phone; getting excited!
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #17
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
The Nexus 4 gets T-Mobile's flavor of 4g speeds - HSPA +42. I get 9 Mbps download on my Nexus 4 and I'm about 35 miles from Denver. I know others get better speeds in other areas.
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 AM   #18
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's good to know. MySimpleMobile's on TMobile's network as well; I'll have to see if it's worth it in my (less developed) neck of the Indiana woods.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 AM   #19
Randyksy
Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you fed up with iPhone then you need to move on Nexus 4 "The Google product". Its less costly as compare to others that have same configuration.It is the big competitor of other smartphones.

Thanks to Google for this amazing product.
Randyksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #20
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I will hold out for the next Nexus, which will hopefully have LTE and work with Verizon.

Funny how this new law makes it illegal to unlock your phones but the new trend with the Nexus and iPhone is to buy the phone already unlocked.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I will hold out for the next Nexus, which will hopefully have LTE and work with Verizon.
I'm holding out for 32GB at the same price (or lower) as the 16GB. I don't care what kind of cell radio it has, because I'll never use it as a phone.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #22
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm holding out for 32GB at the same price (or lower) as the 16GB. I don't care what kind of cell radio it has, because I'll never use it as a phone.
Maybe ask them to instead of the radio include a sd-card reader. (Google not gonna do that though as much as Apple or Amazon won't)
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #23
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I was compulsively checking availability on the N4 for a while, as well as looking into the possibility of going back on-contract for a S3 or 1X+, but I fell back on my bargain-hunting ways and picked up an Xperia Ion second-hand from Ebay. It's my second Xperia and fourth Sony/Sony-Ericsson phone. They reliably have great cameras, often interesting designs, and because Sony's handsets are perpetual also-rans in the US market, they're a great way to get feature parity with the market leaders at a fraction of the price. I got mine for $200 and currently spend about $30/mo on AT&T prepaid (GoPhone). If I jump carriers, it will probably be to Straight Talk, but AT&T has the pro of being pretty flexible--for a while I was getting by on $10/mo. It helps that my main number is Google Voice, so I can supplement voice and texts with GVoice and GrooveIP.

Compared to the N4, my Ion has a previous-gen processor and half the RAM, but dual core and 1GB are more than adequate for Android. It also has a 12MP camera, FM radio, the Sony Bravia Engine graphics accelerator, and the big one: microSD. I had half resigned myself that I could live with a 16GB Nexus 4, but it was such a relief to just slide my card out of my old phone and into the new one. I think I'm already using more than 16GB between the 16GB on-board and the 16GB card, and all my music and settings backups for various apps were right there. After loading my launcher and dialer of choice, any additional OS branding is all but invisible. I've rooted and installed custom recovery for backups, but I haven't even bothered removing the bloatware yet.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #24
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The charging norbs do make me a little jealous, but they also add a chunk of change to the total cost of upgrading unless they become usable with more gadgets down the line.

http://gizmodo.com/5983416/the-nexus...in-google-play
Old 02-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #25
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
The charging norbs do make me a little jealous, but they also add a chunk of change to the total cost of upgrading unless they become usable with more gadgets down the line.

http://gizmodo.com/5983416/the-nexus...in-google-play
I never thought they were really going to go on sale! Now I don't know if I want one of those, or one of these...

http://www.tylt.com/vu/

I will wait impatiently for first hand reviews.
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #26
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
The N4 is extremely tempting, but the battery isn't removable and there's no SD slot. Odd, that Google are not themselves hardware manufacturers but have opted for an artificial upgrade model. (It gives you an inkling of what Google software pricing would be like if the company weren't fueled by intrusive advertising.)

Samsung's refusal to play that game of cheesy Pachisi is the main reason that many of us have been loyal to their brand. The day that Google allows SD and battery slots is the day I'll reconsider the N4, which is a gorgeous and powerful phone and does free the user from carrier crippling.

The N4 is, in fact, the phone that has made two of my friends (so far) not only switch from the iPhone but consider ditching their Apple laptops and towers.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 02-11-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #27
djulian
Evangelist

I've had my phone now for about two weeks, and as a former iOS user, I'd say that this pretty much knocks it out of the park.

Smooth as butter interface, excellent app selection (I was worried about this, but the difference seems to be that Apple only approves the cream of the crop, while Android has the cream and all the milk underneath), great web browsing on Chrome, great Skype calling ability, great notifications, great inter-app operability (seriously, so many apps can be called up to interact with other apps) and so on and so forth. I'm loving it.

I can't speak to gaming; I'm not a gamer, but the screen is beautiful and the hardware seems pretty speedy, so it might be decent. I know it flies through Words w/ Friends.

As far as the SD slot, I was frustrated w/ it's absence before ordering the phone. The insane simplicity of cloud storage/access (I even rolled my own free cloud solution) means that I'm not going to be anywhere near needing more than 16GB on board.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #28
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
The N4 is extremely tempting, but the battery isn't removable...
I may be a wizard, but I have never had to replace a phone battery, and I tend to keep the same phone for a while.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:56 AM   #29
Randyksy
Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randyksy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I am waiting...
Randyksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #30
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
The N4 is my top current choice if my iPhone 4 dies. I switched from AT&T to Straight Talk, jumped through some hoops to get data working but works fine now, and the unsubsidized N4 price is a bonus (half of the iPhone 5 price!) I've read nothing but good reviews.

Shame there is no retail presence. If I play with a demo model long enough I might be tempted to switch sooner.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote