Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
curly quote not in calibre viewer

in a book in sigil I see neat looking curly speech quotes, both in book & code view, but when I cut n paste to here, or when i view that epub in calibre viewer I get uglier slanted ones like this

“Now!”

yet most other books in calibre viewer look like this

"Now!"

(straight quotes) which is better

can someone explain please - is it that calibre viewer ( & google chrome) can do straight quoted but not curlies.

NB I convert the same book to mobi, in order to have a choice of viewers. calibre viewer still shows the ugly slanted quotes, Kindle for PC show the pretty curly ones.

I am confused :-)

Last edited by cybmole; 02-17-2011 at 03:33 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Try changing the fonts in the viewers preferences.

Edit.
Font may be designated in css, so you may need to edit that and change font ther.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
The slanted quotes ARE "curly" or "smart" quotes. How curly they appear in the Calibre Viewer depends on which font you have selected in the Viewer's preferences. For example, selecting Times New Roman looks pretty curly but selecting Verdana doesn't.

The "vertical" or "straight" quotes will never look curly. Smarten Punctuation converts straight quotes to curly quotes.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The asciiize option will turn curly quotes to straight quotes when converting.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The slanted quotes ARE "curly" or "smart" quotes. How curly they appear in the Calibre Viewer depends on which font you have selected in the Viewer's preferences. For example, selecting Times New Roman looks pretty curly but selecting Verdana doesn't.
my calibre viewer is set to courier new ( I may have done that a while ago for some obscur reason) there is no reset to default option. what is the default setting , on a fresh install; . what do you recommend I set it to, so that it looks similar to what I see on Kindle , please

UPDATE this explanation is not right - I checked another books in my library & it did display WITH curly quotes in calibre viewer. is there more than 1 kind of curly quotes ??? - went back just now to copy n post proof but can't remember which random book worked :-(

Last edited by cybmole; 02-18-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 04:07 AM   #6
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
It's very definitely a font thing, whatever is causing different fonts to be used. Those slanted quote marks are most definitely the same as curly quotes, simply displayed in a different font. And when copied and pasted here, it's again the font used to display forum posts that results in them showing as slanted quotes rather than curly.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:18 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

i am sure you are right - what is the default font for calibre viewer or what a good short list to test with please ?
Old 02-18-2011, 05:17 AM   #8
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Default fonts for Calibre viewer appear to be:

Serif = Times New Roman
Sans-serif = Verdana
Monospaced = Courier New
Default font = Serif

I've attached a screen shot showing the same single and double curly quote characters in a range of different fonts - shows how much exactly the same characters can change in appearance depending on the font used to display them. These are all TrueType fonts - most should either be already installed or available as free downloads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curly-quotes.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	66883  
Old 02-18-2011, 06:46 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

thanks for that- times new roman is looking good.

I am suprised to see such big differences - your attachment should probably make its way into the viewer user guide
Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 AM   #10
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind

Your welcome cybmole. We all expect the letters and numbers to change substantially from one font to another, but it's easy to overlook the extent to which punctuation can vary between fonts, too.

I just noticed you asked in one of your posts above what would be a good font to approximate what an ebook will look like on the Kindle - the Rockwell font is similar to the built-in Kindle font, so you could try getting hold of a copy of that and trying it. It's not an exact match, as illustrated by the two attached screen shots, but it's close in overall appearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle-previewer-font.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	66888   Click image for larger version

Name:	rockwell-font.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	66889  
Old 02-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

i wonder what font kindle for PC uses. it does not seem to have installed the proprietary Kindle font into Windows so I guess it uses a free close match, but I have a poor eye for identifying fonts.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind

No - the Kindle apps use "standard" fonts I think. K4PC certainly doesn't use anything remotely like Rockwell - in fact it looks very like Times New Roman.