Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Noisy buttons? Book light?

A coworker brought in her new Nook and I was surprised to hear the rather noticeable "Click" on the page flip buttons. That would be a dealbreaker for bedtime reading. I know that you can also use the touch screen, but that didn't seem like it would be comfortable for one-handed reading while I lay on my side.

Since I'll probably end up buying something online, what other devices have noisy buttons, and what don't?

And can you recommend a good, but not *too* bright book light? Trying not to disturb my hubby or nursing baby with a flood light.

Bree
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
what other devices have noisy buttons, and what don't?
PocketBook 360° is known for its noisy buttons.
You can, however, set it up to turn pages just by tilting the device. So it is at the same time the noisiest and the quietest device.
I read every evening on my PocketBook next to a sleeping baby and I never ever managed to wake her up with clicking. And my baby daughter has *very* light sleep.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Some Kindle owners have complained about noisy buttons. Mine has one button that's noisier than the others, but it never bothered me. Seems it varies from one Kindle to another, or from one owner's sensitivity to another's.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
emt
Nameless Being

On the Nook

You can swipe to turn the pages - totally silent and saves on the wear and tear
Old 05-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
A coworker brought in her new Nook and I was surprised to hear the rather noticeable "Click" on the page flip buttons. That would be a dealbreaker for bedtime reading. I know that you can also use the touch screen, but that didn't seem like it would be comfortable for one-handed reading while I lay on my side.
Either you have very sensitive ears or your co-worker's nook is a lot louder than mine. No way is mine loud enough to disturb my wife while she is sleeping. My wife has a Kindle 2 and it makes about the same amount of noise to my ears. Anyway that wouldn't be a deciding factor for me unless it was extremely loud. Also I have no problem swiping the touch screen with one hand while holding it with the other.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
Kameli
Connoisseur
Kameli began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
PocketBook 360° is known for its noisy buttons.
You can, however, set it up to turn pages just by tilting the device. So it is at the same time the noisiest and the quietest device.
I read every evening on my PocketBook next to a sleeping baby and I never ever managed to wake her up with clicking. And my baby daughter has *very* light sleep.
Tilting in 360 is bit iffy really. It kind of works but is bit slow and occasionally doesn't turn page. If you want totally silent then touch screen is probably best but I think buttons are most natural way to change page.

I know that 360 has loud click, no idea which ones are more silent.

I don't think any light will be too bright. One I have with 3 AAA batteries is about brightest they sell and it doesn't really light the room much.

Last edited by Kameli; 05-15-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I ended up deciding on the Sony PRS-700 and grabbed one on eBay today - I'm hoping the touchscreen and built-in LED will work out for me given that I do the majority of reading in bed. If not, I'll try something else!
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote