Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Kindle In Canada

For all you Canadians, the ebook market is finally here. Kindle is now available in Canada.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1366152/
nboshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Delighted to hear it. I always thought it strange that Amazon made the Kindle available in so many other countries, but seemed to have forgotten Canada.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
reidjr
reidjr began at the beginning.

Device: sony ebook 500
This is a very good news.
reidjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
Too Late

They are only a little over a year late to get my $$$.

I ended up with a Sony because, at the time, it was my only real option. Now that I know more about the ins and outs of the ebook market I wouldn't trade my 505 for anything!

Too bad for you Amazon.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Any idea who the carrier is?

Amazon to launch Kindle in Canada

Quote:
Seattle-based Amazon, which did not announce the name of the wireless carrier it will use in Canada, was not immediately available for comment.
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Apparently it's Bell. Rumour has it that they were waiting for a network launch before rolling out in Canada.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Wow. I always was so jealous of the Kindle and really regretted that it was not available in Canada. However, I was recently counselling a friend about buying an ebook reader and I told her to disregard the Shiny! New! Toy! vibe and really think about the features she wanted. For me, I am interested in the magazine/newspaper delivery, anywhere-Wikipedia and the chapter sampling. But other than that I would not use wireless and I am *really* interested in reading library books, so for me, the Sony is a better buy (plus I already have it!) A Kindle is tempting though, I must admit. If anything did happen to my Sony, I would have to do some serious thought.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
I really like the fact that I can now not buy the Kindle on principle rather than availability
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
I, for one, am quite happy that the Kindle is now available to be shipped to Canada. Of course, they *would* have to announce this the day *after* I renewed my Fictionwise Buywise membership.

Now I just have to figure out how to convert my old Mobipocket and eReader DRM'd books to Kindle format.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Just a heads up, price comes to $311 by the time they add $21 for shipping and $30 for import duties.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
EricGagne
Connoisseur
EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOECHICK View Post
Just a heads up, price comes to $311 by the time they add $21 for shipping and $30 for import duties.

So they're not sold on Amazon.ca and shipped from Canada ?
EricGagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
SHOECHICK
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGagne View Post
So they're not sold on Amazon.ca and shipped from Canada ?
Sadly, No. Nor is it available for super saving shipping.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
nboshart
Connoisseur

In related news, Kindle for PC appears to be available in Canada. Can anyone confirm the iphone app? Was it before?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
gee! look down there l in the other forums. there's an entire Kindle forum at your disposal
l
l
\/
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Woohoo! I'm just so very very suprised that it took so long. Maybe the book licensing deals between US/Canada are so convoluted that it took a while to work everything out?
I wish publishers could just license ebooks internationally, I guess licensees in certain areas have massive hissy fits and threaten legal action at such a scenario.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, kindle