Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #16
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I was going to add Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski series, but it doesn't look like they're been Kindle-ized. (Which is odd, because they are in the Sony Store).

If your mother likes mystery short stories, you could include the "Sisters on the Case" anthology with a number of different authors.
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #17
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
and there is a Father Brown mysteries omnibus (GK Chesterton) uploaded here at Mobileread. That's very good.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #18
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Didn't see the Joanna Brady series by J.A. Jance recommended yet, so I'll add it.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #19
jantzde
jantzde began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I just finished a pbook by John Sandford called "Invisible Prey". There is a whole "Prey" series. The one I just finished was good enough (I really liked his writing style) that I know I'll be getting more by him.

Also Karin Slaughter is really good and I've read most, if not all, of hers.

Your Mom is lucky. While my daughter gave me my Sony 505, it didn't come pre-loaded with yummy reading. I'm a bit envious. *wink*

(BTW i love J.D. Robb!!)

Debby
jantzde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:39 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agosto View Post
P.D. James (Adam Dalgliesh series) and Elizabeth George (Lynley series) are pretty good. They are set in England, and there's usually less "blood" than in American novels.
Elizabeth George is just so blooming depressing. Definitely not an author to read to "cheer yourself up". She is an excellent writer, but, goodness me, her books do leave me feeling "low" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I'm putting together an ereading package for my Mom for Mother's Day. The plan is to send her my Kindle 1 loaded with the books she likes to read on a SD card. Mom reads murder mysteries (not my cup of tea at all) and the authors she likes are: James Patterson, Sue Grafton, and J.D. Robb. I'm looking for recommendations for other authors.

TIA
I would be quite interested to know what you've chosen in to put on the K1 for your mom. I'm sure others here would be interested in knowing as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
MissNomer
Ancora Imparo
MissNomer is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Yet one more . . .

How about Janet Evanovich? Her Stephanie Plum books are a hoot. I'm probably as old as your mom, and even at my almost-Medicare-ready age, I have to laugh at the irreverant antics in these novels.

If you know the names of some of your mom's favorite writers, take a field trip to http://www.literature-map.com/ to find other similar authors.
MissNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #23
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My Mom is 71yo and very tech savvy and she's interested in the Kindle and since I bought the K2 I thought it would be a good idea to pass on the K1 to her. Sure, I could sell it but I know that she will probably enjoy it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm clueless when it comes to murder mysteries.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #24
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
AWESOME idea!! I will recommend Dean Koontz, Harlen Coben, Carol Higgins Clark, and Mary Higgins Clark.

When I first started reading "grown up" books Mary Higgins Clark was the very first author I read. I really liked her books.

There's also the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency.

Happy Reading.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #25
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
They've been said before, but worth saying again;
Jeffery Deaver and John Sanford for fantastic plots, Faye Kellerman and James Lee Burke for great characters and page turning stories, Robert Parker for wonderful one-word dialogs. Ian Rankin for great cross-cultural crime fighting settings.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #26
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
I've just started reading John Connolly.
VERY graphic and very good.
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #27
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I happened to think of one more writer who is as good as any of these we've mentioned and I'd forgotten him until now. Lawrence Block's "Matthew Scudder" series is brilliant.

All of the Scudder books are very good but the 5th "Eight Million Ways to Die" and 6th "When The Sacred Ginmill Closes" are as good as any mystery I've ever read. The 1st book in the series is "Sins of The Fathers".
Old 04-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #28
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Michael Jecks
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now what we should do is figure out what's available as eBooks and what's not so we can narrow down the list.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:33 AM   #30
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark

Well, it's a surprise to me but it looks like everything I mentioned is available at booksonboard.com so I'd assume it's at the other sellers as well. Ian Rankin (Rebus), Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch), Lawrence Block (Mathew Scudder), James Lee Burke (Dave Robicheaux) and both Jonathan (Alex Delaware) and Faye Kellerman (Peter Decker).

Edit: oops, just realized we're talking about the Kindle. It seems they're available for that also. Not all of the James Lee Burke, but some.. and all of the rest of the authors in first paragraph it looks like. So that's good news. I think of all mystery writers, Michael Connelly and Lawrence Block are my two most favorite.

Last edited by wayspooled; 04-15-2009 at 01:46 AM.

Tags
mystery