Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Paper Books or eBooks?

It's the battle of the decade from my standpoint. I don't think there will be a single winner, at least for a very long time because both sides have some valid points and there is a place for each.

Check out a renewal of the discussion in the Palm Addicts forum.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:16 AM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
The only reason that eBooks have taken off so far is that we are already carrying around devices that can read them and it's very convienent to have something to read while we are unexpectedly standing in a long line at the store.

For eBooks to replace paper books they will have to come up with a technology that has an extremely long battery life and is very durable (i.e. water proof, shock proof). The technology simply isn't there yet. eInk looks to be the best technology so far, but it's not ready for prime time yet.

Today, the best thing is the "print on demand kiosk" that I've seen prototypes of. Bookstores simply become showrooms and will generate a book on demand. This should significantly lower the cost of paper books and increase the selection that bookstores carry.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2005, 05:46 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I don't think e-books will or should ever substitute paper books; instead they supplement the latter by offering certain advantages such as high portability and easier access.

When I was still at college I loved to hang out in the library stocks and sometimes skim through hundreds of paper books. Now, even if these books had been offered as e-books back then, I don't think it would have had been the same rewarding experience. For instance, very often, when I checked out one book, I noticed another book that was just sitting next to it, and I discovered it later to be an even better resource than the one I was originally looking for. How would that be possible with e-books, where physical dimensions are not existant? Sure, someone like Google could come up with a nice search algorithm and present "related" books, but that you can do already today for paper books with a good library computer system. My point is that sometimes you have to see and almost feel a book to appreciate its usefulness.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Online vs. physical bookstores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
For instance, very often, when I checked out one book, I noticed another book that was just sitting next to it, and I discovered it later to be an even better resource than the one I was originally looking for. How would that be possible with e-books, where physical dimensions are not existant?
You know, I never really thought about that. Now that I think about it, many's the time I've gone to the bookstore to get BookX and ended up buying BookY (and sometimes BookZ, BookA and BookB ).

But that's the problem with online bookstores in general - not just eBooks. You can't really browse the selection. They are really good at letting you find the book you want if you know the title, but it's pretty hard to go to Amazon.com and find the book you want if you only have a vague idea of what you want. That's why I still go to physical bookstores once in a while.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:02 AM   #5
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
What we really need is the ebook equivalent of Delicious Library for browsing...
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2005, 09:56 AM   #6
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker
What we really need is the ebook equivalent of Delicious Library for browsing...
Hacker I think you are right on that. Such a thing would be very useful for ebooks.

Quote:
For instance, very often, when I checked out one book, I noticed another book that was just sitting next to it,...
About the only thing that comes close to this online is the "People who bought title X also liked title Y..." sort of thing that Amazon and, to a lesser extent, Fictionwise does. It is not the same but it helps.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:18 AM   #7
Techick
insane for MORE TOYS!
Techick began at the beginning.

Device: NX80 and Treo 650
For the water and shock proof issues, I use an Otterbox for those times and it works great, did a lot of reading at the pool last year

For finding new authors, I simply browse through the categories that I like, check out the new releases and the best seller sections also to get an idea as to who's good and who's not. Plus most of the online dealers have where you can rate the ebook, that helps, and if the author has more then 2 books then they are usually decent. Oh and the price of the book "you get what you pay for" for the most part Plus you can always start a thread here to find recommendations
Techick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hah! Reading e-books at the pool. Haven't thought about that before. It may come handy this summer, so thank you for the tip, Technick! Is that the Otterbox you were talking about?
Old 05-10-2005, 11:35 AM   #9
Techick
insane for MORE TOYS!

Acutally I have this one right now, http://www.otterbox.com/product.cfm?product=103&code=NA.

You can't KILL that box so if it gets ruffed up at the beach, my Clie is fine!

Plus it seems to hold the temp better so my Clie doesnt' get roasted
Old 05-10-2005, 11:51 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Wow... already the name sounds intriguing. Armor 3600 I see how it is better than the product I was looking at. You can actually USE your PDA while you are in the water. Not bad at all. But $100 USD is quite a lot of money... question: does the screen go foggy in heat?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:24 PM   #11
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
What a product! Not a bad idea for the beach or pool (or anywhere else that might environmentally damage your pda). The cost is pretty high, but it looks _very_ robust, and remember what you're protecting, and how much it cost as well.

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 07:45 AM   #12
Techick
insane for MORE TOYS!

The screen doesn't really get foggie, though sometimes int he tub it does, but that's a HOT tub!

Also, I think they are the ones that suggested it, but you save those little silicon thingies from new shoes and med's and stuff and put those in there to keep the moisure down

There used to be a $50 model which was nice also, I had that one before. I only got this one through luck and then passed on my previous model to someone else. But the main advantage for me with this one, is being able to listen to my MP3's or audio ebooks while using the case to protect the Clie.

I agree with the cost thing, it's a lot but if you are going to use it, and it can go with different models as you change and upgrade, then it's like an insurance investment to me. I'll always have a PDA/Smartphone, so I invested about 2 yrs ago and still think it was a great idea!
Old 05-15-2005, 10:19 AM   #13
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Or you could use a ziplock bag!

Another idea from xred123 in the Palm Addicts forums
Quote:
...I have no problem putting my Palm in a ziplock bag and reading in the tub. I would be very afraid to read a real book in the tub, one wrong splash or turn a page with a wet hand and the whole book could be ruined.
Sort of like "case freeware!"
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:56 PM   #14
Techick
insane for MORE TOYS!

yeah the only problems are the humidity and the lack of protection agianst any shocks to the PDA

But I know people who carry a ziploc around in their backpacks in case of a sudden rainstorm
Old 05-18-2005, 03:15 AM   #15
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You guys read about that Aussie kid who got seriously injured after his mom had thrown his iPod in a washing machine? OK, not the same story but I would still be curious if there was any danger in using an electrical device under my shower
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote