Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
HankRiker
HankRiker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Question Need Help: Sony PRS-500 CONNECT/eReader Problem after Calibre

I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm at my wits end...

I have a Sony PRS-500, that I've had for about a year now, and have been enjoying it, and haven't really had much in the way of problems, till now.

I downloaded a few user-ebooks, in HTML format, and wanted to convert them into native eReader format, so I installed a copy of Calibre, version 0.4.73 (I have been fighting with this since).

Anyway. I did get the books converted, and it did a great job, but it refused to recognize the reader. I thought, "Oh well, that's okay, I'll put them on the device using the Sony software." (Famous last words)

I have attached a picture of what I see. All of the controls on the left side are gone, and no amount of stretching the window changes it. I've uninstalled and reinstalled more times than I can count, but there is no change. Today I even tried installing the old CONNECT software, but still no joy. I'm hoping against hope that someone out there has run into this problem, and can help...

I have a second machine that I installed the eReader software on, so that I can at least access the reader, but I'd much rather have it work on my home PC.

I have searched through several pages of this forum, and if I missed the fix, I'm sorry, but please point me to it... Or if this hasn't occured to anyone else yet, please feel free to ask questions...

I'm running an AMD CPU, 4600+, 3GB of RAM, and Windows XP SP3. Same OS config as the machine it works on, but thought I'd mention just in case.

Thanks much,
Hank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eReader Problem.png
Views:	851
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	14611  
HankRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:06 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
uninstall calibre. uninstall the sony software. go to device manager, delete all entries in it that are related to the reader (they will be name with either sony reader or libusb)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I had the same problem, but I just decided to remove the sony software instead
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
HankRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
uninstall calibre. uninstall the sony software. go to device manager, delete all entries in it that are related to the reader (they will be name with either sony reader or libusb)
I did that, twice. Tried re-installing the Sony eReader software, still had the same screen glitch, removed everything (including running searches of the C:\ directory for anything Sony, or libusb as well as the registry) and tried the CONNECT software, and still had the same problem...

And posted here. Heh.

I give up. If I need to use the Sony site, I'll just use it from my Tablet PC.

I actually was able to get the current version of Calibre to install, and see the reader, although not initially. You need to have a warning that if the screen password is turned on, that Calibre will silently fail to connect.

I checked the device manager, and saw your USB driver was attaching to the unit, and suddenly thought... Oh wait! What if the darn thing can't attach if the password is set, so I turned it off, and it worked like a charm!

Thank you for your work on Calibre, the interface (for me) seems a bit non-intuitive, but it's several large versions past where Sony has left it's PRS-500 owners in the dust...

I'm still not sure what ate the Sony software's face, but, meh. Calibre gives me so much more, it's not worth the effort to fix it.

Thanks again, and thanks for replying,
Hank.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
HankRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
I had the same problem, but I just decided to remove the sony software instead
Yeah, me too.

So you had the same graphical corruption of the Sony eBook Library interface?

I have bought a few books from Sony, but a lot of the content I have gotten elsewhere (like this great site), and the new Calibre makes converting foreign formats to the native Sony format simple and elegant.

Cheers!

Last edited by HankRiker; 07-26-2008 at 06:19 AM.
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Calibre, eBook Library, PRS-500, & PRS-505 do not support eReader format eBooks. Please do not use the term eReader to mean electronic reader as that is incorrect and has led to confusion of people purchasing eReader format eBooks thinking the 500/505 support them. Thank you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
HankRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Calibre, eBook Library, PRS-500, & PRS-505 do not support eReader format eBooks. Please do not use the term eReader to mean electronic reader as that is incorrect and has led to confusion of people purchasing eReader format eBooks thinking the 500/505 support them. Thank you.
Seems a bit heavy handed, based on the context, but I have edited the original to comply.

I certainly wouldn't want to be complicit in having confused someone into buying a device that was missing a function that they expected it to perform.

Last edited by HankRiker; 07-26-2008 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 07-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
Lloyd
Lloyd began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I have a 505 model but havent used it for several weeks. When I came to use it yesterday it did not respond? I had it attached via the USB cable to my PC for a few hours (until my PC switched off automatically). The red LED (next to the power slider) is on, but there is nothing on the screen and no response when I slide the power switch...? Can anyone help?

Regards.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I have a 505 model but havent used it for several weeks. When I came to use it yesterday it did not respond? I had it attached via the USB cable to my PC for a few hours (until my PC switched off automatically). The red LED (next to the power slider) is on, but there is nothing on the screen and no response when I slide the power switch...? Can anyone help?

Regards.
This sounds like it could just be a problem with not enough charge. IMO it is faster to fully charge using a mains (wall) charger. Either the "official" Sony AC one or better yet a very cheap PSP wall charger.

It may need to have a complete full charge to turn on. Mine will take about 3 to 4 hours on AC (wall) for a full charge when it is at 1 or 2 bars left on the charge.

(I'm impatient and don't like to wait for the PC USB charge. Also, sometimes I forget and the PC goes to sleep mode and starts to drain the Sony Reader battery.)

I hope this helps.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
loosecanon
loosecanon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony touch 650C
[QUOTE=dreams;536380]This sounds like it could just be a problem with not enough charge. IMO it is faster to fully charge using a mains (wall) charger. Either the "official" Sony AC one or better yet a very cheap PSP wall charger.

I've always used an old Blackberry wallcharger. 50 cents at a Thrift Store
loosecanon is offline   Reply With Quote