Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Kobo Glo review on The Inquirer

The folks at The Inquirer (British tech site for those folks new to it) have a new review of the Glo up. While they were not fans of the Mini, the Glo gets a much more favourable reception.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
No accounting for taste, eh? I've always liked the Kobo design. It looks sleek to me. I have to wonder though when someone talks about pressing hard on an IR device.
llcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
No accounting for taste, eh? I've always liked the Kobo design. It looks sleek to me. I have to wonder though when someone talks about pressing hard on an IR device.
Seriously. I also like the complaint about its "boxy shape". As opposed to - erm?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Seriously. I also like the complaint about its "boxy shape". As opposed to - erm?
Hmmm...maybe next is an innovative round reader...come to think of it, most screens on digital devices are damaged when dropped because the corner hits the ground. So if there were no corners, there's be less damaged screens! We may be onto something here...
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
The Inquirer has now reviewed the Kobo Aura - different reviewer. It's a positive review - however, I had to sigh when they said this:

Quote:
Like the Kobo Glo, the Aura HD has a backlit screen, so reading in dimly lit conditions is possible with less eyestrain. While using the Kobo over a number of weeks, it was rare that we found a use for the backlight during the day, as the contrast levels are decent enough not to warrant its use when indoors.
How can professional reviewers be quite that ignorant?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
No mention of superior features like font weight adjustment... Positively strange report of battery life, up to 30 days at 30 minutes per day with light off(only 15 hours with lighting off), but 70 hours with the light on? Oh well, so much for paying attention. In fairness, it may be hard to evaluate due to greater power consumption based on various activities, but that seemed a bit backwards. On my own test with the Glo I got around 46.5 hours of reading over something like 24 days with the light on low. Good enough for me -that works out to a bit over two hours a day over three weeks. I don't think you can ask for much more than that from a lighted device. I would think you'd easily get over two hours a day for better than a month with the lighting off and just reading, no WiFi, etc.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
No mention of superior features like font weight adjustment... Positively strange report of battery life, up to 30 days at 30 minutes per day with light off(only 15 hours with lighting off), but 70 hours with the light on? Oh well, so much for paying attention. In fairness, it may be hard to evaluate due to greater power consumption based on various activities, but that seemed a bit backwards. On my own test with the Glo I got around 46.5 hours of reading over something like 24 days with the light on low. Good enough for me -that works out to a bit over two hours a day over three weeks. I don't think you can ask for much more than that from a lighted device. I would think you'd easily get over two hours a day for better than a month with the lighting off and just reading, no WiFi, etc.
that's kobo's claim, not the reviewer's. and it was the same type of claim they make with the glo....something like 1 month 30 mins light off, OR 50 (can't remember the real number for this one) hours continuously with light on.

they said in the review that they couldn't test kobo's claim.

i think though that the brightness of the light used is really important...i never use more than halfpower and usually use on low...and it doesn't affect battery use that much. but if you were crazy and put it on full all the time, it might actually make a difference.

and the continuous one is implying you're using it non-stop for that many hours....which means you're not powering on and off, not putting it in sleep mode, just reading straight...which no one does anyway. i think they are just saying, if you read non-stop from a full charge, you will never run out of batteries before you are done that reading session. or something.

i agree it's a bit hard to judge when they base it on such ludicrous situations, whether your ereader lives up to their claims of battery life.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote