Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which do you think will sell more over the long haul? 7" or 10" tablet?
7" tablet 79 68.70%
10" tablet 36 31.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #16
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have no idea, I'm neither a seer nor a soothsayer ...
But what I can tell you is that I wish they started making 7" e-readers cause my 6" is not bad but it would be optimal with an extra inch (and a smaller bezel to compensate)
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #17
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
7" on the price, lower priced devices will sell more always.
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaros View Post
7" on the price, lower priced devices will sell more always.
Yes, price is a big factor.
At the $200 price point it almost becomes an impulse buy, not requiring much thought or budgeting.

We've bought three 7-inch tablets in our house within the past 10 months! This would not have happened with laptops, for example. For all the price of a tablet, we don't need to share; everyone can have their own. And if a better one comes along, take an upgrade!

Mebbe they should be made by Bic, and treated like disposable lighters?
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
$200 is still more than I can really afford for a 7" tablet. I didn't pay that for my Fire or my NC. I was hoping for a $99 Nexus but I guess that was a pipe dream. Maybe next spring I can get a refurb Fire HD for $139. I would jump on that.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
For consumers, 7". For business, 10".
For business, 12in will likely prevail.
Historically, business tablet users have overwhelmingly preferred 12in over 10in and the first wave of Win8 Pro tablets reflect this.

For consumers 7in will prevail and 10in has a big headstart but I wouldn't bet against 9in. But that is longer term.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #21
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Being yet another non-soothsayer, I don't know. I suppose that, relatively speaking, the bigger tablets will sell better in more affluent countries like the US, Canada, Germany and Switzerland, and the smaller ones will sell better in Greece/Italy/Spain, and in India and China.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:21 AM   #22
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I've been using my 7 inch Blackberry Playbook as my e-reader for over a year .... and I love it!!!

The 7 inch form factor is a great book reading size, excellent portability and fits into the small back pack along with lunch etc for the daily travails.

Sure, I've also got a desk top and a lap top - but it's my Playbook that gets the most use because it travels with me.

But - and I think this is one of the more important usage factors - it's wifi enabled and it's bridged to my BB phone, which means that I use my phone's very good data plan to simultaneously operate my Playbook to be on-line + receive SMS.

You can see why it's the device of my choice .... the Playbook is a great 7 inch all rounder.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #23
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I've been using my 7 inch Blackberry Playbook as my e-reader for over a year .... and I love it!!!

The 7 inch form factor is a great book reading size, excellent portability and fits into the small back pack along with lunch etc for the daily travails.

Sure, I've also got a desk top and a lap top - but it's my Playbook that gets the most use because it travels with me.

But - and I think this is one of the more important usage factors - it's wifi enabled and it's bridged to my BB phone, which means that I use my phone's very good data plan to simultaneously operate my Playbook to be on-line + receive SMS.

You can see why it's the device of my choice .... the Playbook is a great 7 inch all rounder.
I agree! We really like our PlayBook too.

We've found their app store has all the apps we really need and, best of all, they're now available here for $150 for the 32 Gb model.

Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #24
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
For me it would be a ten inch, though I'm not sold on needing a tablet at all when I have a laptop, smartphone, e-ink reader, and complete home entertainment system in my gadget arsenal. I'll always prefer e-ink for reading. My phone has a 4.3" screen so it would be silly to buy a 7" tablet that does the exact same things as my phone, just a little bigger but less portably. If I bought a tablet at all, it would be 10", though again, it hardly seems essential. A Roku-type media player is actually much higher on my priority list.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #25
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I think 10" for tablets.
Personally I think 7" is perfect, but with phones getting bigger I think for many 7" is too close to phone size to motivate a buy.
Right now many still have phones with 3,5 -4" phone screens and want something a little bit bigger but still portable. For those the 7" is perfect!
"You have stumbled on the truth." John Mclaughlin
I agree, the phone will take the place of the 7" tablet.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #26
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
I like both.. 7" for reading Books, and 10" for Magazines, Newspapers and browsing the internet..
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #27
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
On other hand it might also be considered that tablets are transitional tech. And the future is with flexible displays... And for such device 10" might be accetable.
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #28
Casey57
Connoisseur
Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3/Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch/iPhone/iPod/iPad
I honestly like both. I expect to receive my iPad Mini today and am excited because it will be somewhat easier to travel with than the iPad 3. Every little bit of space counts when traveling with a carry-on! In our family, it will get a lot of use otherwise too.
Casey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #29
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey57 View Post
I honestly like both. I expect to receive my iPad Mini today and am excited because it will be somewhat easier to travel with than the iPad 3. Every little bit of space counts when traveling with a carry-on! In our family, it will get a lot of use otherwise too.
I just got my iPad mini a few minutes ago.. I will keep you informed.
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #30
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I have a 10" and not a 7", but I think as long as the existing price differential is maintained, there will be more 7" tablets, simply because some people will be able to afford $200 but not $500.

And some people will buy a 10" for themselves and a bunch of 7" for the kids...
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote