Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
TheBookMonster
iReader
TheBookMonster began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 4
Best eBook Reader App

I recently purchased an iPod Touch 4 and was wondering which eBook app takes the best use of this (display). Price doesn't matter. Based on the research I did already, I find that most users like iBooks, Stanza or Kindle. What do you think is the best? My eyesight is fine and I read a few hours a day, usually during the day and maybe a quick 15 - 20 minutes in bed. Also sorry if this has been posted before, I just thought with all the latest updates to the apps things might change.

Last edited by TheBookMonster; 05-08-2011 at 09:23 PM.
TheBookMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I generally use Bluefire for ePubs, Kindle for mobi.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #3
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
which eBook app takes the best use of this (display).
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but if you mean has the most print on the page, that would probably be Kindle. It is also the most stable and fastest as far as syncing and downloading. It doesn't seem to have all the little quirks other programs do. There is no choice of fonts, and size is smallest to small, but it sounds like that won't bother you. The only color choices are sepia, black and white. The dictionary lookup is good because it pops up the definition at the top of the page, then you just tap the screen to dismiss it and it doesn't take you out of the book.

There are other apps, such as Kobo, Nook, Ereader, etc. All of the apps are free.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:38 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I'm liking Stanza for ePubs, as I've run calibre2opds and put the resulting catalog & books on my DropBox, which I can access from within Stanza.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
Ralob
Connoisseur
Ralob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2, PW4
I like iBooks reading experience with page turning, but stanza is great for Dropbox integration and a lot of nice options to customize the books display.
Ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 04:26 AM   #6
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
I also like iBooks. As it synches automatically with my own books. So I can continue reading on all iDevices I have.

The kindle-app only synches kindlebooks. Books you've sideloaded won't synch.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Since they're all free you could just try them out and see which one you like the best.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
I also like iBooks. As it synches automatically with my own books. So I can continue reading on all iDevices I have.

The kindle-app only synches kindlebooks. Books you've sideloaded won't synch.
I doubt that iBooks syncs sideloaded books, either.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, iBooks does sync sideloaded content as I've never bought any eBooks from Apple and never will.

But if your iPod is not jailbroken and you want something that works got for Bluefire. But if you do jailbreak, Bluefire is right out.

iBook sis Ok at best and lousy at worst. Stanza is right out as it's seriously buggy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
iFlow is good. Like Nightbird said, they are free, try a bunch of them.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By syncing, I was referring to keeping your place in the book on multiple devices, not just the copying of the book. Does iOS keep your place, over the air somehow, if you switch from your iPod to iPad? I don't read much on my iDevices.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #12
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
By syncing, I was referring to keeping your place in the book on multiple devices, not just the copying of the book. Does iOS keep your place, over the air somehow, if you switch from your iPod to iPad? I don't read much on my iDevices.
Yes, I can read on my iPad, go out for a while then continue on my iPhone. It's seamless and works very well in both directions. My iPad is 3G, this may not work quite as well if you have a wifi only and are reading when not connected.

This all, apparently, works through some Apple servers as iTunes is not involved in any way.

I have never purchased a book from the Ibooks store, all my books are loaded through iTunes.
tbergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:15 AM   #13
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I doubt that iBooks syncs sideloaded books, either.
As said by others, it syncs sideloaded books as in "remember where you're left" if a few conditions are met:
The book is in both (or more) iDevices. (this does not need to be loaded through itunes.)
The itunes-account connected to iBooks is the same.
Sync is enabled in the iBooks setting.

iBooks will sync the top sentence of a page and or bookmarks.

*I only used epubs. No idea if this works with PDFs too...

Last edited by athlonkmf; 05-10-2011 at 04:46 AM.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard

Cool.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #15
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
iFlow is good. Like Nightbird said, they are free, try a bunch of them.
It's sad, but iFlow team will stop the operations.

https://www.iflowreader.com/Closing.aspx
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote