Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
BD: Cover Art - What am I doing wrong?

I am trying to apply cover art to my books created in BookDesigner but I can't get it to work.

When I get to the Make book stage I drag & drop a jpg file onto the "book cover picture" window. The text in that window "drag and drop picture file here" goes blank but the picture does not show up. The resulting lrf does not have cover art either. I have tried drag and drop, browse to file, and various sized jpg's. I have also looked at all possible settings, to include "Skip cover page" not being checked.

I've looked through the help file but I can't find the answer. What am I doing wrong?
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try just making the cover art the first page of the book - that should work too. Make sure that you don't have the "Skip cover page" box checked.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Okay, I just tried that and it failed. When I used "insert picture" and browsed to my file it didn't take. When I clicked on "rb preview" all I got was a big grey window with a small white square at the top of it.

I've tried various picture files. Is there kind of specification to the pictures I need to be aware of? The one I have been trying the most is a jpg that is 500x600 pixels. I also resized it to 100x150 but that didn't work either.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm strange. Shouldn't make any difference; I've used all sorts of formats as pictures - JPG, PNG, BMP, GIF; BD supports them all.

How are you getting your image onto the page? I just drag them onto the BD window from Windows Explorer.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
edbro
Banned

I've tried drag/drop and browse to the picture.

When I use the add picture function, I'm left with this:

If I drag/drop onto the edit book page I get a dialog box with a lot of question marks (and the image doesn't show up on the page).
Advert
Old 08-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if you are not using the July update, go get that and update (even you have you it, install it again). You may have an issue with GflAx.dll.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
OK, I use cover art for almost all of the BD books I create in both Sony and Mobi formats.

Under the box there is a Browse button, click it and then like selecting an attachment for email find and click on the cover art. A thumbnail of the image will show up in the box. (I could never get the other method to work either.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
edbro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
if you are not using the July update, go get that and update (even you have you it, install it again). You may have an issue with GflAx.dll.
I have the 07/20 update installed already. The gflax.dll version is 2/20/07. What issue do you think I have and how would I fix it?

I have this installed in Vista 32. The program is not installed in the program files directory. The DhtmlEd patch has also been applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Under the box there is a Browse button, click it and then like selecting an attachment for email find and click on the cover art. A thumbnail of the image will show up in the box. (I could never get the other method to work either.)
Yes, I've tried that. But instead of getting a thumbnail, I get a blank grey box.

Last edited by edbro; 08-21-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
i have had same problem, its something to do with vista cos when i had xp no probs, when you install the original install file it looks ok but you dont have the sony reader option its once you put the update in that it refuses to allow pictures, i think its something to do with the image viewer plus if you take 5/30 update remove the tools folder and put it into the 7/20 update you can have pixs show just then it wont make the file so something is missing
but i dont know what?
a vista 32 bd update would be nice that addresses these issues i can still make books but would be nice to have covers and be able to insert pictures
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
edbro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyafro View Post
i have had same problem, its something to do with vista cos when i had xp no probs, when you install the original install file it looks ok but you dont have the sony reader option its once you put the update in that it refuses to allow pictures, i think its something to do with the image viewer plus if you take 5/30 update remove the tools folder and put it into the 7/20 update you can have pixs show just then it wont make the file so something is missing
but i dont know what?
a vista 32 bd update would be nice that addresses these issues i can still make books but would be nice to have covers and be able to insert pictures
Okay

At least I know I'm not doing something wrong.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #11
edbro
Banned

Well Andy, you were right on the mark. I loaded BD on my wife's XP machine and it worked beautifully. So, it must be a Vista issue.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:06 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Isn't it always a Vista issue?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:17 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

BD definitely has "issues" with Vista. BD is to blame, not Vista.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That really sucks. Maybe, while you wait for BD to get whatever update it needs to deal with Vista, you might try HTML2LRF... JSWolf generally has good things to say about that app.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
BD definitely has "issues" with Vista. BD is to blame, not Vista.
To be honest, I think it's Vista. When XP came out the computability from the previous Windows was quite good. WinME came out and has poor computability. Vista is just a fancier WinME. And some of the changes are an issue that some people may not know about such as changing how Porgram Files behaves an not having Dynamic HTML already out of the box.

But one thing that can be tried.. Try setting BD to run as WinXP and see if that works.