Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
FBReader on Cybook, possible?

Would it be possible for Bookeen to port FBReader to Cybook?
I'm not sure if Cybook is a linux based device. That would be a requirement, I suppose.
Do you think that Bookeen would be willing to port it?
Maybe we could ask them together, what do you think?

Thanks for your comments.

Edit:
I started this thread because of the news that FBReader will be implemented on Jetbook.
So I was thinking if jetbook can have it, why not cybook.

Last edited by Abelturd; 06-10-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
So I was thinking if jetbook can have it, why not cybook.
Look at the OpenInkpot forum here. There used to be an OI version for the Cybook, but I don't think anybody has been actively working on it for a while...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Look at the OpenInkpot forum here. There used to be an OI version for the Cybook, but I don't think anybody has been actively working on it for a while...
I'm following the OI project closely. It doesn't seem likely that there will ever be a port of OI to cybook, or at least not the older versions with 16 mb ram.
There have been rumors that pocketbook might sell its firmware to users of other netronix devices, but no details, no ETA.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I'm not sure if Cybook is a linux based device.
It is.

Quote:
Do you think that Bookeen would be willing to port it?
Maybe we could ask them together, what do you think?
I think bookeen don't have the man power for that.
What can Fbreader do the cybook can't anyway ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
It is.

It can read epubs, plucker, read directly from archives.

It got recently ported to a number of devices: irex, pocketbook, OI, now jetbook. This wide support gives a promise that it will be further developed. It's opensource, it isn't isolated and tied to a single device. Plus it would take some work load off bookeen's hands, because it's always easier to port existing code than to write something new from scratch, you said it yourself that they're short on manpower.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
If we get a two firmware solution I do not think they can use their reader for non-drm files since I think the license from MobiPocket does not allow it. So for the ePub firmware FBReader would give the functionality to read DRM-free MobiPocket files.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:31 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
If we get a two firmware solution I do not think they can use their reader for non-drm files since I think the license from MobiPocket does not allow it. So for the ePub firmware FBReader would give the functionality to read DRM-free MobiPocket files.
Ok, kepping no drm prc would be a plus.

Quote:
It can read epubs, plucker, read directly from archives.
Gen 3 will manage epub by itself, and with drm too. I see no point in reading from archive, i don't have that many books yet.
And what's plucker ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:56 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
And what's plucker ?
An old application for "offline" reading of web sites. Used to be popular on the Palm at one time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:10 AM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An old application for "offline" reading of web sites. Used to be popular on the Palm at one time.
Works very well for books also and have the functionality that you can click on a word to look it up. I suppose wget and mobigen will get you a similar functionality.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote