Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #151
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@ElMiko - absolutely nothing to apologise for, it was me thinking out loud. I am just happy to be able to marry the two together, since exaltedwombat hadn't yet come back to us with an example.

And if you are going to read the manual cover to cover, you might want to wait until meme has had a chance to update it (again) - there is reams of stuff which I don't believe he has had the time to go into detail on yet. I am going to put up a post sometime to highlight some of my favourite features and fixes. But am holding off on that to put it into the next beta version thread.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #152
MizSuz
Connoisseur
MizSuz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura, Android w/CoolReader
I don't mean to clutter up your informative thread with cheering - but WOW! Thanks to kiwidude, theducks, and user_none for pointing me to Sigil. I'm making progress and enjoying it, even though the learning curve is challenging for me.

The progress on things I was stuck on has been great and I'm really glad I knuckled down with this.

I think there will be a lot of css tutorials for refreshers in my future.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #153
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@MizSuz - posts from users who love some particular feature that we likely have spent hours debating, designing, implementing, testing and debugging over are far more rewarding to me personally (from a developer perspective) than someone having to point out a bug we missed or introduced, that's for darn sure . Not that we don't want the bug reports, they are essential, just one brings a smile to the face, the other... not so much...

As meme wrote right at the start of this thread, feedback on specific new features or changes people are really liking is every bit as important as the bug reports. And not just to help keep us motivated after thousands of hours of work. It is also to let us know whether we have taken things in the right direction. Sigil is design by the very few for the very many - if we "get it right" for a feature we want to know about it, because the chances are pretty good we are gonna hear about it if we get it wrong...
Old 09-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #154
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizSuz View Post
I don't mean to clutter up your informative thread with cheering - but WOW! Thanks to kiwidude, theducks, and user_none for pointing me to Sigil. I'm making progress and enjoying it, even though the learning curve is challenging for me.

The progress on things I was stuck on has been great and I'm really glad I knuckled down with this.

I think there will be a lot of css tutorials for refreshers in my future.
The developers will be pleased
I am glad you found my help useful
Old 09-30-2012, 03:09 AM   #155
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Search Editor

It's a big comfort to use. A giant step for humanity. At last, after so many books where I had to dig into a messy drop-down menu, full of useless items, I now feel much more efficient. It works very well. For me, this search editor is a blessing and a sufficient reason to upgrade to this version.

Display quirks

I noticed two display quirks and I do not know if I have to attribute them to Sigil beta.

1. Cover display works with Sigil, fails with ADE 1.7 (works with ADE 2.0 )
- brochette.epub (from Sigil 0.53): cover displayed everywhere.
- place.epub (from Sigil beta): cover non displayed with ADE 1.7 .
The two covers are strictly identical....

2. For one EPUB, Sigil beta fails to display italics. ADE displays them. Prince display them.

As this EPUB is not public, I address it to meme by MR message because I cannot publish it here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Place au théâtre.epub (524.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: epub Brochette de cœurs.epub (539.8 KB, 104 views)
Old 09-30-2012, 03:41 AM   #156
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I like the new Index Editor, which will come in handy for text book authors. It would be nice if the Index Editor supported pasting a list of index entries from the clipboard or importing a list of index entries from a plain text file. E.g. one word per line.
And so it shall in the next version. Paste a multiline entry into Index and it will be split.

@ElMiko - thanks for the file. I just wanted to test that creating the file worked ok
Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #157
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post

Display quirks

I noticed two display quirks and I do not know if I have to attribute them to Sigil beta.For one EPUB, Sigil beta fails to display italics. ADE displays them. Prince display them.
Following meme's advice, I post here the EPUB stripped of all but two chapters. They do use italics as main style but Sigil does not display them. ADE display them without problem.
Attached Files
File Type: epub cornet.epub (1.37 MB, 81 views)
Old 09-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #158
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Isn't that the same embedded font quirk (Qt/Webkit) that's been present in Sigil all along? When it comes to embedded fonts ... I've just learned not to bother using Sigil's Book View for verifying that embedded fonts are rendering the way they should.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #159
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@DiapDealer - you beat me to it. Yes that is exactly the case with this epub. Nothing Sigil can do about it until Qt/Webkit fix it if they ever do.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #160
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've just learned not to bother using Sigil's Book View for verifying that embedded fonts are rendering the way they should.
OK. I did not know there was an embedded font rendering problem due to Qt/Webkit resilient bug that could be as big as that. Now I know. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #161
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
After using the new beta quite a bit, much better in stability. No sudden crashes in the middle of work like the previous one.

A bit of odd behavior with the hot key program. Alt plus anything for the hotkey brings up the print dialog. But managed to assign what I wanted to F4 and it works fine.

Just did an upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit from Vista and no hiccups after it either.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #162
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@mrmikel - there is nothing special with how print is wired up in the code that I can see. Other than it has a default shortcut of ctrl+P. You say "the hot key program", which one? Are you sure it isn't secretly sending ctrl+P in your keystrokes somehow? What happens if you clear the ctrl+P shortcut in Sigil and/or assign a different shortcut to Print?

Using Alt keys (alone) as a modifier for keyboard shortcuts in Windows is always dodgy, given how Windows reserves a bunch of them for interaction with menus of the application etc.

Glad you like the stability, it was definitely a major priority for this release
Old 09-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #163
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Another thank you post The cursor sync between views is perfect and I really like the new features, especially the "ignore" function in spell check. Sigil keeps getting better and better!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #164
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Another thank you post The cursor sync between views is perfect and I really like the new features, especially the "ignore" function in spell check. Sigil keeps getting better and better!
GaH! So many new features that I missed that.

Is Ignore words a Global or a per book list? (having a per book list would be great since SF&F books have many non-standard words that should not appear (be ignored) in a mainstream book. )
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #165
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Ignore words is for the lifetime of keeping Sigil open - as soon as you close Sigil, the ignore words list is lost. I should also add that if you switch dictionaries or make other changes in the Preferences screen, that will also clear the ignore words list.

If you want the words to be remembered, add them to a dicitionary. You could have an SFF dictionary for instance and just switch between them in Preferences.
Closed Thread