Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Hitchcockfan
Hitchcockfan began at the beginning.

Device: None
Advantages of 3G Version

Hi,

While the new $150 WiFi Nook is very appealing, what capabilities am I losing by not going with the 3G version (beyond the obvious answer of 3G)?

1. Can I still use the Web browser and access RSS Feeds on the WiFi-only Nook?

2. Are the speeds greatly reduced when downloading books and Feeds?

3. Are there Nook functions I'm going to lose without the 3G access?

4. Are there obvious disadvantages of the WiFi-only Nook version?

I apologize if this has been explained elsewhere. I haven't been able to track down these answers in the forum.

Many thanks!
Hitchcockfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
1. actually you can only use the web browsing with the Wi fi and not the 3G

2. I have the 3G and Wi Fi version and I find downloading fast on both, Wi Fi generally has the reputation of being faster.

3. The only disadvantage is the buying on the fly no matter where you are. For example sometimes when I commute I can pull up a newspaper and purchase it even though I'm not connected to Wi Fi at the moment. Another example is when I was at work I went on to BN.com and bought a couple of books. Turned on the Nook and it was there waiting for me.

I didn't have the choice when I bought mine, so I can imgaine the back and forth I would have been going through. It really all depends on how much you value having your book purcharsed on the fly.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert