Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-29-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
Michaelbrent
Sortacoolguy
Michaelbrent knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Michaelbrent knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Michaelbrent knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Michaelbrent knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Michaelbrent knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Michaelbrent knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Michaelbrent knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Michaelbrent knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Michaelbrent knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Michaelbrent knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Michaelbrent knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: kindle
A list of favorite sci-fi and fantasy that are NOT Twilight or Harry Potter

Just put this list together. Kinda fun...

http://www.amazon.com/lm/RN8KTP2QZ9F...pdp_lm_title_1

Michaelbrent Collings, author smashwords.com
#1 Best Reviewed Books
Billy: Messenger of Powers
Fairy Tales Vol. 1: How Flowers Came to Be
Fairy Tales Vol. 2: Leon
Michaelbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
dugong
Enthusiast
dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dugong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
A couple of recent books I've read and will recommend are "Singularity Sky" and "Iron Sunrise" by Charles Stross. Stross combines hard science, physics, cosmology and computer theory with spy thriller themes. For me, they were page turners I couldn't put down. And because they are large books (1000+ pages), the trip wasn't over before I was ready to put the book down.

Stross's Accelerando is another good read. Imagine a near future when the digital age progresses to where all of the matter in the Solar System is converted into a monstrous thinking machine and humanity is looked at by its creation as just more matter with no significant intelligence and that humans can be put to better use as organic matter assimilated into the brain.

Last edited by dugong; 05-29-2010 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Typos
dugong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 01:00 AM   #3
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
I'd recommend Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, for non-sword-and-sorcery fantasy.

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
Smile

Some of my favourites (mostly fantasy) include:

- Anything by Anne Bishop
- Anything by Tanya Huff
- Anything by Sharon Shinn
- The Battleaxe series by Sara Douglass (not currently available as e-books)
- Anything by Jennifer Fallon (no e-books here either)'
- The Black Magician Series by Trudi Canavan (available from BoB UK)
- WoT by Robert Jordan (had to put this one in)
- The Deed of Paksennarion by Elizabeth Moon (has anyone read the latest one yet?)
- Magician by Raymond Feist

And an sf recommendation ... the Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter Hamilton

OK. I have to stop now, or I'll be here all day listing favourite books
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I was using StumbleUpon and found this site that recommends some books:

http://www.skorks.com/2008/09/10-awe...potter-or-lotr
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
Annetteg
Annetteg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Annetteg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Annetteg has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
For fantasy I love anything by Carol Berg and Lynn Flewelling. Freda Warrington has some good stuff too. I've got the first ten books of WOT by Robert but got bored half-way through book 4 or 5. I might take it up again someday but there are so many other interesting books I want to read first

http://www.sff.net/people/carolberg/
http://www.sff.net/people/lynn.flewelling/
http://www.fredawarrington.com/

take care,
Annette
Annetteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
DarthV
Enthusiast
DarthV began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugong View Post
A couple of recent books I've read and will recommend are "Singularity Sky" and "Iron Sunrise" by Charles Stross. Stross combines hard science, physics, cosmology and computer theory with spy thriller themes. For me, they were page turners I couldn't put down. And because they are large books (1000+ pages), the trip wasn't over before I was ready to put the book down.

Stross's Accelerando is another good read. Imagine a near future when the digital age progresses to where all of the matter in the Solar System is converted into a monstrous thinking machine and humanity is looked at by its creation as just more matter with no significant intelligence and that humans can be put to better use as organic matter assimilated into the brain.

Just read all 3 of those in the last week or so, great stuff!
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
For fantasy -- Kelley Armstrong, Jim Butcher, Kim Harrison, Anne McCaffrey, Gene Wolfe (sometimes crosses over into SF)
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:15 AM   #9
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
SF: Alastair Reynolds, Vernor Vinge, Liz Williams, Joan D. Vinge
Fantasy: Joe Abercrombie, Brandon Sanderson
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
nikkers
tragic
nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenr_nz View Post
Some of my favourites (mostly fantasy) include:

- Anything by Anne Bishop
- Anything by Tanya Huff
- Anything by Sharon Shinn
- The Battleaxe series by Sara Douglass (not currently available as e-books)
- Anything by Jennifer Fallon (no e-books here either)'
- The Black Magician Series by Trudi Canavan (available from BoB UK)
- WoT by Robert Jordan (had to put this one in)
- The Deed of Paksennarion by Elizabeth Moon (has anyone read the latest one yet?)
- Magician by Raymond Feist

And an sf recommendation ... the Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter Hamilton

OK. I have to stop now, or I'll be here all day listing favourite books
Oath of Fealty is very could but frustatingly very much afiller for the next in the series. I hate waiting.
nikkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #11
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
that was a mistake of mine - never start such a list b4 sleeping

Fantasy:
  1. Sapkowski Andrzej: Wiedźmin-Saga (witcher)
  2. Leiber Fritz: Fafhrd & Gray Mouser
    Eddings:
  3. Tamuli Saga
  4. Althalus
  5. Belgariad Saga (incl. the Belgarad and Polgara books)
  6. Colfer Eoin; Artemis Fowl series
  7. Canavan Trudi Black mages Series
  8. Alexander, Lloyd: Taran Saga
  9. LeGuin Ursula: Earthsea Saga
  10. Williams Tad: Dragonbone Saga
SF:
  • Heinlein Robert A.: Stranger in a Strange World
  • Asimov Isaac: Foundation Saga
  • Harrison Harry:
    Stainless Steel Rat
  • Deathworlds
  • Herbert Frank: Dune Saga
  • Gibson William: Neuromancer Trilogy
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
sbaum4853
YA Fantasy Author
sbaum4853 is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle
Love that the Amazon list has Lloyd Alexander on it.

The post made reference of Twilight and Harry Potter. There is another YA series that is really getting its legs under it: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It's fun and smart like Harry Potter, but also full of moody teenagers like Twilight.
sbaum4853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #13
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Except for Kay (fan for years), these are all authors I picked up in the last year or so and have really enjoy.

Fantasy
Guy Gavriel Kay
Joe Abercrombie
Steven Erikson
Peter V. Brett

Sci-fi
Peter F. Hamilton
Alastair Reynolds
Iain M. Banks
Neal Asher
China Mieville
Paolo Bacigalupi

Last edited by tyche; 06-06-2010 at 10:16 AM.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I'd recommend the Myth Adventures series. Some of the books are by Robert Asprin and some by Robert Asprin and Jody Lynn Nye. It's a series of 18 books, and some are available in paperback as a two-in-one pack. The first book in the series is "Another Fine Myth." The following is a link to the Myth Adventures website: http://www.mythadventures.net/index.html.

Last edited by Solitaire1; 06-06-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: To add author credits.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

The First Law by Joe Abercrombie

The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny

Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb
Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb

The Dark Tower by S. King
The Stand by S. King

Tigana by G.G. Kay
The Last Light of the Sun by G.G.Kay

The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist