Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
rick98761
rick98761 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Is this just a flaw with e-books or am I doing something wrong?

One major downside with the kindle and ereaders in general. Some sci-fi books have a glossary in the back that has certain terms basically made up for the book (dune, anthem). It is a pain in the ass to flip back there with the kindle. I wish they made a way to load the glossary of the book into the kindles built in dictionary. Or am I doing something wrong and there is a way?
rick98761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:47 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
first, note the "location" number you are at, then go to the directory. the directory "should" have a clickable location option. note that number. find the item that you are looking up, click the location option, enter the first set of numbers, and there ya' go. you need to note your location number each time, but after that it is much more simple
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
pbennett
Enthusiast
pbennett began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
You should be able to use the back button to jump back.
pbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:48 AM   #4
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
Exactly. If you're lucky, the glossary will be the last thing in the book. So if you type in the term, you get a list of all the times the term is listed in the book, and the last one would be in the glossary. Select that one and read it. Then hit the back button and you are at the same place you were reading! It works very well.

I have a book with a cast of characters in the front, a novel (Sacred Games), and it works similarly. If I forget who the character is (and there are lots of them), I do the same search described, and the FIRST find is the description of that character or name!

Note that other times a term is mentioned, what is said might well be of interest. So the find feature gives you a sort of instant-access, instant-return ability that is very handy.

(Now, if only it would automatically search for the word I was at when I started looking, so I didn't have to type the word in at all, that would be even better.)
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
bxrLvr
Connoisseur
bxrLvr doesn't litterbxrLvr doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
if you highlight the word and then press space, it gets around needing to type in the word.. a bit of a short cut...
bxrLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert