Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 06:15 AM   #16
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
A further restriction on library ebooks in the UK appears to be that if your local library doesn't provide this service (which mine doesn't), publishers don't want you to be able to borrow from libraries outwith your own area. As I've just posted in the UK libraries thread, this is a reply I got about changes in one library I'd hoped to join:

From what they say, it looks like tighter controls might be put in place everywhere:

Quote:
A recent change in arrangements concerning Overdrive e-books and e-audio services means that they can no longer be made available to people who have on-line temporary membership. This restriction has been put in place by our suppliers, in response to concerns expressed by publishers about libraries providing e-book material to users who do not live, work or study within their geographic area.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 08-31-2011 at 06:16 AM. Reason: additional comment
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:20 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
A further restriction on library ebooks in the UK appears to be that if your local library doesn't provide this service (which mine doesn't), publishers don't want you to be able to borrow from libraries outwith your own area. As I've just posted in the UK libraries thread, this is a reply I got about changes in one library I'd hoped to join:

From what they say, it looks like tighter controls might be put in place everywhere:
Yes. It is understandable that Overdrive would be concerned about this, when they are providing eBooks to the local library community, not the entire world. Although of course I don't like to see such restrictions, they are reasonable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 AM   #18
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I wonder if this will eventually effect those of us even in the US who have memberships at distant libraries like FLoP and Singapore?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #19
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Understandable to a point I guess. However, while there are plenty of areas of the country that don't provide this service, in the areas that do (as long as there isn't problems with availability), what's so wrong with allowing 'out-of-area' borrowers?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:58 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Understandable to a point I guess. However, while there are plenty of areas of the country that don't provide this service, in the areas that do (as long as there isn't problems with availability), what's so wrong with allowing 'out-of-area' borrowers?
I believe imagine it's because Overdrive charges fees to the library based on the size of their membership, so if a library has, say, 20,000 members, but then 100,000 people try to borrow e-books, the usage would be much greater than anticipated.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've just bought a Kindle and although I plan to buy books from Amazon, a good portion of my reading is likely to be ebooks from the library. These seem to be mainly Adobe Epub format (which I believe I can convert and read on the Kindle easily enough by using Calibre).
When Overdrive & Amazon support library eBooks, it won't be in the UK. In fact, it will be US only. Buying a Kindle for library eBooks is a rather bad idea. The best idea would have been to wait for the Sony PRS-T1 which will support library eBooks in the UK. If you are still within your 30-day return window, I suggest you return the Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #22
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

I never thought of it that way HarryT. I guess it makes sense the cost being related to the actual size of the library. I'll just need to hope they don't tighten up the restrictions so that I end up not being able to use the single library I've been able to join. Hopefully my own library will eventually get involved in ebooks.

JSWolf, I know that the Kindle may seem a strange route to go down in terms of borrowing books from libraries, but as I've already posted earlier in the thread, there are other reasons for opting for the Kindle, and the use of Calibre makes the compatibility issue pretty negligible.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
JSWolf, I know that the Kindle may seem a strange route to go down in terms of borrowing books from libraries, but as I've already posted earlier in the thread, there are other reasons for opting for the Kindle, and the use of Calibre makes the compatibility issue pretty negligible.
It does indeed seem strange when you live in a country where Kindle library book borrowing isn't know to be happening. But if you don't mind that and like your Kindle, then I see no problem at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #24
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

I've got to say I quite like the look of that new Sony. Pity it hadn't already been released when I was buying...... and that Amazon hadn't bothered with the Kindle and just sold epub like everyone else!