Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-08-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
Planmedia
Michiel Hatenboer
Planmedia began at the beginning.

Device: Sony / Rocket / T mobile / ILiad
Arrow Maps in mobipocket or epub

I tried to convert pdf-maps (from Lonely Planet Pick & Mix travel guidebooks) to mobipocket. The results are unsatisfying. The fonts are positioned outside the maps. Can anyone please tell me how to build maps for an ebook-format. Is there a way to make the fonts on the maps sizeable?

Thanks a lot in advance
Planmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:02 AM   #2
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
If you want scalable graphics, you should look at SVG. I don't know offhand whether Mobipocket supports SVG, but epub certainly does. Several programs are available to create and edit SVG. Two Open Source ones are Sodipodi and InkScape.

If the maps in the PDF are vector-based, you should be able to convert these to SVG without too much effort.

To convert a bitmapped image to SVG, you can either hand-trace the image or try one of the various programs that attempt to do this for you. I recently came across this web site http://vectormagic.stanford.edu/. The results look very impressive, although I haven't tried it yet. You can always edit the resulting SVG in one of the other programs I mentioned above.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Inkscape has a builtin vector tracer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Mobipocket only supports GIFs (and, I think, also JPEGs in some versions). I'm assuming from the fact that you are wanting to convert to mobipocket that you also have a device that can handle pdfs. If so, wouldn't sticking with pdfs be the easiest option?
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #5
Planmedia
Michiel Hatenboer
Planmedia began at the beginning.

Device: Sony / Rocket / T mobile / ILiad
Thanks a lot for your reply. Do you know of any eBook that has been produced with SVG?
Planmedia is offline   Reply With Quote