Notices

Old 07-30-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
DrBibber
Iliad geek
DrBibber began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Opening of referenced PDF file

Hi Iliad People,

ordered my Iliad last week so I hope there are only 4 wks to go until delivery ;-) Should burn some candles on the iRex shrine.

I have a question and I hope someone of you could check this out:

I have seen a lot of screenshots showing the Iliad's file list. Having 6 or 8 files shown at once only with their file names is not suitable enough for me and so I thought of writing a script which creates a static HTML file based navigator containing thumbnails of the book covers and some metadata (author, title, maybe publisher). Most of my books are available only as a PDF file so my question is:

If you are in a HTML file an klick on a link to a PDF document, does the Iliad open the PDF document in the right viewer then?

I have my PDF documents in a folder structure and I really like the idea of having my USB stick updated with the newest documents and navigator version as soon I plug it in :-D

I hope, someone could try it out. I will share the script and a demo as soon I have my own Iliad and tested. Hope it will accept my 2gb USB stick :-D
DrBibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBibber
If you are in a HTML file an klick on a link to a PDF document, does the Iliad open the PDF document in the right viewer then?
No. Unfortunately for you, it errors.

It looks like the browser tries to create a copy of the PDF in /tmp to work on and can't.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2006, 09:28 PM   #3
jamesarm97
jamesarm97 began at the beginning.

Device: SPC-6700, iRex#1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBibber
Hi Iliad People,

I have my PDF documents in a folder structure and I really like the idea of having my USB stick updated with the newest documents and navigator version as soon I plug it in :-D
:-D
Maybe some info from here can be used. I can try to work on it later, but if someone with an iLiad uses linux they can give it a try. Making a script to tidy it all up would take some time. It just uses pdflatex to create a pdf with links to other pdf's and can put thumbnails of the linked files also. I can envision a script that would just use a directory structure to create a content pdf. Each subdirctory can be the section description and all pdf's under that directory will be linked with a thumbnail, then continue to the next section. Maybe a text description can be put in a info file within each directory. Has anyone tested links withing a pdf to another pdf?

Here is the site describing how to do it:

http://ringlord.com/publications/latex-pdf-howto/

Thanks,
James
jamesarm97 is offline   Reply With Quote