Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-30-2005, 07:15 AM   #1
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
LIT conversion (C#) developer

Is there anyone out there who ever tried to port the CLit code to c# instead?

Just trying to meet up or talk a bit with other such developers who tried or thought about it (with reasonable expectations of having succes).

Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:37 AM   #2
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Shouldn't be too difficult if the original source is available (which I think it is).
But what for ?
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2005, 08:38 AM   #3
Jaapjan
Avid reader

I see you haven't actually looked into it yet (at all?)

It would be fairly complex in fact. It is not a simple format.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:58 AM   #4
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Jaapjan, what's complex about it? The sources can be easily compiled with Microsoft Visual C and any other GNU C compiler. Shouldn't it be straightforward to transform C code into C# ?
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:21 AM   #5
Jaapjan
Avid reader

The trouble is that the code is not object oriented, scattered about through many files and using a great deal of macro's.

Accurately deducing what a the more complex parts do precisely is ... not easy.
Advert
Old 08-30-2005, 09:22 AM   #6
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I C. Thanks for the clarification
Old 08-30-2005, 09:23 AM   #7
Jaapjan
Avid reader

It's not a problem to explain. Feel free to verify my statements. I love to hear you find it very easy, because I could ask all the tough questions to you then...
Old 08-30-2005, 09:24 AM   #8
doctorow
Guru

Well I have never programmed in C#. But I did C++ and usually it was not an issue incorporating C code into C++.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:32 AM   #9
Jaapjan
Avid reader

Yes, C and C++ aren't very different and you can intermingle said variants of the C language without any sort of worry. This is not the case with C# though, which is entirely object oriented.

In fact, c# doesn't even have support for pointers, nor macro's. It's not as much a thing of porting but of rewriting based on the original C code.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:53 AM   #10
doctorow
Guru

May I ask you what you are working on? A project involving ConvertLit always sounds intriguing.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:58 AM   #11
Jaapjan
Avid reader

Off course. A reader for the lit format for windows mobile 5. Particularly, the code should be in the .net compact 2 framework and entirely managed code, meaning it ought work wherever mono or microsoft .net is. Possibly that .gnu variant too, whatever it is called though I won't bother with that.

It's just a hobby thing but I made quite some progress.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:34 AM   #12
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
P/Invoke?

Is it absolutely required to use only managed code? If not, why not compile the original CLit source as a DLL and call its functions using P/Invoke?
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 12:04 PM   #13
Jaapjan
Avid reader

I require it to be completely managed, yes. Besides that, I do not want to use any of the original code. I merely use it as a reference.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:08 PM   #14
doctorow
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan
I require it to be completely managed, yes. Besides that, I do not want to use any of the original code. I merely use it as a reference.
I take it then you don't want to release your reader as GPL?
Old 08-30-2005, 12:18 PM   #15
Jaapjan
Avid reader

To be honest, I have no idea. Right now it is a hobby thing. 'See if I can do it' thing. To be honest, I don't think I would make any sort of commercial thing out of it. If that is your worry.