Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Michael Crichton

A number of Michael Crichton novels, including some of my favorites such as Jurassic Park, Eaters of the Dead (i.e. The 13th Warrior) and The Andromeda Strain, are coming out in ebook on May 14th. May looks to be a very good month for ebooks!
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Awesome! I've been wanting to reread The Andromeda Strain for years now. Thanks so much for the heads up.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
13th warrior sounds good.

Last edited by The Terminator; 04-23-2012 at 06:01 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Is that the same Michael Crichton who wrote The Great Train Robbery? If so, it's the only one of his I've read. Appears to be outside his normal genre.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I find myself liking some of his work, and being bored to tears by the rest, to the extent I wondered if it was a different Chrichton .....
Incidentally, I believe he was also invloved in the early days of television's "E.R." - or p'raps that was a different Crichton....

Strangely enough, seeing this thread prompted me to find "The Admirable Crichton", by Barrie, on Gutenberg - a very different cup of java from "Jurassic.. etc.... !

I dare you ....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Incidentally, I believe he was also invloved in the early days of television's "E.R." - or p'raps that was a different Crichton
No, it was the same guy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it was the same guy.
If I remember correctly, Crichton was an MD.

I really liked Andromeda Strain, but wasn't too thrilled with his later books.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
If I remember correctly, Crichton was an MD.

I really liked Andromeda Strain, but wasn't too thrilled with his later books.
His later books were really, REALLY bad. He wrote one truly dreadful book called "State of Fear", in which he attempted to discredit global warning by use of "pseudo-science" of the worst kind. It got slated by the National Science Foundation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
I enjoyed reading Crichton's Timeline. If you've *attempted* to watch the dreadful film, you might not bother with the book. I couldn't stand more than 30 minutes of the movie.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Is that the same Michael Crichton who wrote The Great Train Robbery? If so, it's the only one of his I've read. Appears to be outside his normal genre.

Mike
yep, same guy. The Great Train Robbery is one of the ebooks of his that I pre-ordered.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
His later books were really, REALLY bad. He wrote one truly dreadful book called "State of Fear", in which he attempted to discredit global warning by use of "pseudo-science" of the worst kind. It got slated by the National Science Foundation.
I suspect that one's opinion of that book depends on your views of AGW. For the most part, the science in that book is correct, or at least has scientific studies which back it up. Regardless, that's probably a subject best left alone unless we want to get into a "religious" war. I didn't mention that book's availability for that reason. Sufface it to say that it you are a denier, you will probably like the book and if you are a true believer, you will probably hate the book.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I actually liked state of fear. I just read it like any other fiction book.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Quote:
Amen, I loved "Andromeda Strain" and looked forward to more books, but was dreadfully disappointed. They seemed to have gone from mediocre to poor to gawdawful.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:07 AM   #14
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Yeah, but the guy eats a turkey sandwich every day for the length of time it takes him to write a book, there's something to be said about that.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #15
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Chrichton seems to be "every odd book is great, every even book is crap" type of author.

I remember wanting the day to end so I could get home to read more of Jurassic Park and being sad when it ended. But the next book did not have the same depth/quality as the first. I liked "State of Fear" but thought "Next" was written by someone else or so heavily edited it lost my interest. "Pirate Latitudes" was pretty good and appears to be well researched.

OMG - he also wrote "Twister" which was later turned into a movie!! No wonder that movie had something extra.

I recently audiobooked "A case of Need" by Jeffrey Hudson - Pen name of Crichton. Heavy on the medical side of things. I can see the seed of the "ER" series as he exposes the world doctors live in and their problems.

Quote:
Yeah, but the guy eats a turkey sandwich every day for the length of time it takes him to write a book, there's something to be said about that.
You are thinking of James Patterson. He just wrote another novel in the time it took me to post this.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote