Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 12:49 AM   #1
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Is there a good way to convert partial rss to full rss feeds.

I have looked at the fivefilter, but it doesn't format very well and doesn't include pictures, and is limited. So any other suggestions.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
If you need online tool for this, you can try Yahoo pipes, but you have to toy with it for any single website and it is not very intuitive, in my opinion. Besides, getting the content to an e-reader friendly format is difficult even if you create the feed with full articles.

Calibre is cross-platform and it tries to automatically fetch the full articles from the rss. It does a relatively good job, even though it is not completely precise. However, you can customize the "recipe" for the website to suit your needs. I haven't done that, because I don't know the syntax it uses and have no time and desire to learn it. If you are like me, then you can probably aks for someone else to help you - there is such a tread at the Calibre forum. There are already many "recipes" preloaded with the program, so if the website of interest is a popular one, chances are, it is already there.

If you use Windows, you can get the rss2book program, which you can also find here at the forum. You can specify the content you want by using only regular expressions. It was my program of choice for getting full rss before, but since I switched to Linux, I abandoned it (it requires .NET). Other downsides, apart from being Windows-only, are that it has problems with accented characters and cyrillic is not supported. But if you are a Windows user and read only websites in English, this is the program for you.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
I ended up wiritng my own python app to do this.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
victorgoh
victorgoh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, iPad Air, Universal Book Reader Android
hi Zorz,

I'm also looking for a partial rss feed to full feed converter for my web app (http://www.jarss.com). What python libraries did you use to create your own app?
victorgoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
Mr.Bill
Mr.Bill began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can use the one located at http://www.sitesonmyip.com/partial-rss-to-full-text/ much easier then Yahoo Pipes just enter a url and then use the url it gives after the conversion.
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
victorgoh
victorgoh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, iPad Air, Universal Book Reader Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
Can use the one located at http://www.sitesonmyip.com/partial-rss-to-full-text/ much easier then Yahoo Pipes just enter a url and then use the url it gives after the conversion.
Thanks for the url. This is useful. Was fiddling with YQL "select * from html where url='some_url'" to get content. It was more work that expected.
victorgoh is offline   Reply With Quote