Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
wladdy
Enthusiast
wladdy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / Kindle DX
Custom field for 'original language'

Hi, many of my books are translations. I would like to have a custom field with the 'original language', offering the same options as the native 'Language' field (i.e.: Abkhazian, Achinese, Acoli, etc).

Should it be a 'Text, but with a fixed set of permitted values' column type? If so, how do I get the list of existing languages?

Alternatively, am I better off with a 'Text, column shown in the tag browser' column type, that I would fill with languages progressively, as I organize my library?

Finally, for books with multiple languages (such as, for example, an anthology of French poetry featuring both the original texts and their translation), is there a way to make a custom column similar to 'Authors', where I could enter 'French & English' and have 'French' and 'English' recognized as two distinct languages?

Any help to put me on the right path would be greatly appreciated. W.
wladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
Quote:
Originally Posted by wladdy View Post
Finally, for books with multiple languages (such as, for example, an anthology of French poetry featuring both the original texts and their translation), is there a way to make a custom column similar to 'Authors', where I could enter 'French & English' and have 'French' and 'English' recognized as two distinct languages?
Greate a custom column type 'Comma seperated text, like tags, shown in the tag browser' set a hook for 'Contains names' then you can write 'French & English' and will get them in both. When you enter no hook then you can write 'French, English' and will also get both.

You can also use this colum for your other languages. You have to type the new language in for the first time but after that you can choose it and you can also open the item editor/tag editor (to find in edit metadata /custom metadata) and type the languages in to have them later to choose automatically.

Mini

Last edited by MiniMouse; 08-08-2014 at 01:31 PM.
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
authors, custom columns, languages, translations