Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #106
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
elcreative, this works against that Z axis. It reminds people that Jobs is dead, that Apple makes obscene profits on their products, and that Apple does not feel compelled to pay its bills. Apple and Samsung duking it out benefits Amazon along the same axis. A lot of people think that Apple should not win market in the courts. This is brand tarnish.

Last edited by wizwor; 12-21-2012 at 09:42 PM.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #107
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
If you think of Value as a four quadrant graph with most/best features and lowest price in the upper right corner, Apple is in the upper left corner. It's easier for low cost manufacturers to add/improve features than for high margin manufacturers to lower cost. There's a Z axis to this graph. It's brand. Apple has owned the Z axis. That Z axis acts as inertia. It slows the impact of competing cost/feature improvements. Apple has used this inertia to hold off competitors with great success. The problem with inertia is that once it slips, the fall is fast. Amazon owns price and customer service. Amazon is competitive on features. Amazon has a good brand. It's not Apple, but it's good. I know a lot of iPad/iTunes users, but I don't know a lot of new iPad/iTunes users. All Kindle/Prime users are new. All those new Kindle/Prime users are likely aPhone customers. Pretty soon, Amazon is going to grab some of that z axis.
A great post, thanks for the pleasure of reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Kenny,
You know what Jerry Seinfeld would ask about that WSJ report, don't you?
What's the deal with that WSJ report?
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #108
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Apple and Samsung duking it out benefits Amazon along the same axis. A lot of people think that Apple should not win market in the courts. This is brand tarnish.
This is so true. I think the patent suits have been a lose-lose proposition for the fruity company. Whatever the reality, people view them as the big successful company going after the competition through the courts because they are losing out in the market place and are afraid of competing products.

By the same token, I think it's elevated Samsung somewhat in the sense that if Apple is saying Samsung products are just like theirs, well then they must be. It's like free advertising for Samsung. And then there is the sympathy factor for a company that is sued for things that many feel shouldn't be patentable.

Personally, I've never been anti-Apple until this lawsuit business vs. Samsung. That's been the tipping point for me. I don't wish Apple to fail as a business and hope they continue for a long time making products. I just hope their strategy of suing in the courts fails and they stick to the marketplace.

So, yes, the Apple has been tarnished -- by their own actions.

One other thing is I don't understand why some take such exception to a company being criticized in a forum. To the point that they hurl personal insults at other posters. One would think we are throwing verbal bombs at their mother or family members! And I'm not talking about everyone who defends Apple here, just a very few. I'm a big fan of Amazon (though not of their readers or tablets) but I don't care a bit if one comes on here and calls them the scurviest, most despicable company on the face of the earth. I'm still going to shop there.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 12-22-2012 at 09:17 AM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #109
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The devil is in the details (the calling plan). There are plenty of nice smartphones out there but I haven't seen a contract that meets my requirements (equivalent to the prepaid plan I currently have). I'm hopeful that Amazon can come up with something disruptive.
Bingo! Give me a prepaid smartphone that I don't have to deal with a monthly bill, and I'll get one. Otherwise, I will keep my Samsung Gravity 1 phone that just does calls and text msgs that I keep $50.00 worth of minutes on it and renew it once a year for another $50.00 if I use the majority of the minutes or just $10.00 for another 10 minutes worth of minutes if I don't.

Last edited by cfrizz; 12-22-2012 at 11:02 AM.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #110
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
There are a lot of things that could be done to make cell phones more attractive and Amazon is in the middle of most of them...

1) use wifi when available to reduce cell minutes, improve performance
2) no charge when using Amazon services
3) discounts for commercials/ads/offers
4) rollover minutes -- reward my good behavior!

I mostly use my phone where there are hotspots, so this would minimize my cell minutes. Allowing people to comparison shop without incurring charges seems like a win-win to me. I'm happy to promote Amazon for a discounted monthly bill. Linking all of this to Prime might just win me over from Netflix.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #111
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
This is so true. I think the patent suits have been a lose-lose proposition for the fruity company. Whatever the reality, people view them as the big successful company going after the competition through the courts because they are losing out in the market place and are afraid of competing products.

By the same token, I think it's elevated Samsung somewhat in the sense that if Apple is saying Samsung products are just like theirs, well then they must be. It's like free advertising for Samsung. And then there is the sympathy factor for a company that is sued for things that many feel shouldn't be patentable.

Personally, I've never been anti-Apple until this lawsuit business vs. Samsung. That's been the tipping point for me. I don't wish Apple to fail as a business and hope they continue for a long time making products. I just hope their strategy of suing in the courts fails and they stick to the marketplace.

So, yes, the Apple has been tarnished -- by their own actions.

One other thing is I don't understand why some take such exception to a company being criticized in a forum. To the point that they hurl personal insults at other posters. One would think we are throwing verbal bombs at their mother or family members! And I'm not talking about everyone who defends Apple here, just a very few. I'm a big fan of Amazon (though not of their readers or tablets) but I don't care a bit if one comes on here and calls them the scurviest, most despicable company on the face of the earth. I'm still going to shop there.

--Pat
Outstanding post! I don't get the rabid fanaticism of the Apple/everyone else on this board.

I love Amazon, but I will most likely never have one of their readers since I'm not interested in being locked into theirs, Apples, or anyone elses ecosystem. I'm also not interested in paying Apples prices.

So for me it comes down to freedom of choice and price.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #112
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by silasgreenback View Post
What's the deal with that WSJ report?
Finally. Thank you for asking.

"Who are 'these people'."

It would have been funnier right away.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:54 AM   #113
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Finally. Thank you for asking.

"Who are 'these people'."

It would have been funnier right away.
Never understood why people like that guy, I sure don't, but I hate TV standup comedy anyway. Loved the girl.

I am waiting for the Amazon phone and I hope a GREAT AMAZON DATA PACKAGE.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #114
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Outstanding post! I don't get the rabid fanaticism of the Apple/everyone else on this board.

I love Amazon, but I will most likely never have one of their readers since I'm not interested in being locked into theirs, Apples, or anyone elses ecosystem. I'm also not interested in paying Apples prices.

So for me it comes down to freedom of choice and price.
Hear, hear. Let us hope the day will come when we can discuss a new electronic product and the thread will not become another "Apple" thread.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:06 AM   #115
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Hear, hear. Let us hope the day will come when we can discuss a new electronic product and the thread will not become another "Apple" thread.
Dude!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #116
dallasb
dallasb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallasb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallasb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallasb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallasb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallasb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallasb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallasb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallasb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallasb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dallasb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
I wouldn't be surprised to see an Amazon pre-paid phone service.

Get free minutes with Amazon Prime...
dallasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #117
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You really should look into having that sense of humor fixed.
I don't see what a sense of humour has when dealing with company/product/personal biases being continually and irrelevantly used to attack a company/product/bias... and I don't just mean attacks against Apple, I mean the endless grind of this process against Amazon, Apple, Android, Google etc...

Last edited by elcreative; 12-30-2012 at 04:53 PM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #118
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
I don't see what a sense of humour has when dealing with company/product/personal biases being continually and irrelevantly used to attack a company/product/bias... and I don't just mean attacks against Apple, I mean the endless grind of this process against Amazon, Apple, Android, Google etc...
Yawn...
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #119
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Yawn...
Hey afv011, lets all get in the stands, and do the WAVE except we will YAWN in unison.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:46 AM   #120
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasb View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see an Amazon pre-paid phone service.

Get free minutes with Amazon Prime...
Amazon as a MVNO?

that could work

If Wal-Mart and Kroger are successful as MVNOs, why can't Amazon?
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote