Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #21211
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Ah thanks a loot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I've been avoiding Facebook today for that reason. Oddly, though, on Mobileread it doesn't bother me.

(Come to think of it, I avoid Facebook most of the time anyway.)
Bad bad Brattie used that f-word again
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #21212
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I am literally within *squeezes thumb and index finger tight together* this much of converting my K3 into a doorstop. I've been complaining about amazon prices for Canadians for a while now. Today I did a search of 11 books I'd like to read.

Amazon: $144.82US
Chapters: $128.09CDN plus I could get another 5% off that with my Chapters card.

Basically for 11 books from Amazon, I could buy 13 books from Chapters. Ugh. While Chapters will never have the dearth of cheapies like Amazon (not really a problem since I don't read them.) Buying a Kobo would give me access to a lot more options for epub stores as well.

So the question is, why do I hold on to my Kindle? Why?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #21213
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's actually some research on why people keep on track after having recognised a wrong decision. Your question is answerable
Old 09-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #21214
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^There's also research that given too many options and too much information we will make bad decisions as well.

I'm sure it's answerable. The fact that I paid nothing for my e-reader (it was a prize) probably factors into my format inertia as well.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #21215
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I am literally within *squeezes thumb and index finger tight together* this much of converting my K3 into a doorstop. I've been complaining about amazon prices for Canadians for a while now. Today I did a search of 11 books I'd like to read.

Amazon: $144.82US
Chapters: $128.09CDN plus I could get another 5% off that with my Chapters card.

Basically for 11 books from Amazon, I could buy 13 books from Chapters. Ugh. While Chapters will never have the dearth of cheapies like Amazon (not really a problem since I don't read them.) Buying a Kobo would give me access to a lot more options for epub stores as well.

So the question is, why do I hold on to my Kindle? Why?
Upgrade your Kindle to firmware 3.4, buy ePubs, make Alf's acquaintance, strip the DRM and get calibre to convert to AZW3.

Cheaper books and you can read them on your Kindle, with the fancy formatting and custom fonts (if present).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #21216
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

I've thought about that too. It's certainly more work to read at that point. Part of what I liked about just buying ebooks from Amazon and using library paper books for everything else.

Of course, there's the issue that it's become a criminal offense to strip DRM, even for personal use in my country.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #21217
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Um ..... which country? Or don't I want to know?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #21218
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Canada. Our newest bill has made it illegal to strip DRM of any sort for any personal use. So taking your DVD and putting it onto your iPad is illegal.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #21219
Freeshadow
temp. out of service

Ah, adopted the German idiocy.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #21220
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Canada. Our newest bill has made it illegal to strip DRM of any sort for any personal use. So taking your DVD and putting it onto your iPad is illegal.
I can see the U.S. eventually following suit. I can also envision a future career as either (1) a criminal, or (2) a former customer who no longer buys ebooks.

Long live the boob tube and the ignorance it spawns! Way to turn people off reading, Canada!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #21221
Freeshadow
temp. out of service

A german bookshop (forgotten which one) has shopping bags decorated with "warning boxes" of the same layout as are found on cigarettes saying: "reading endangers stupidity"...
Old 09-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #21222
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
When unreasonable laws are passed, reasonable men break them.

Entire countries were founded on that belief.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #21223
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition

I'm waiting for my sister to finish her shower so I can wash my face. The problem is that it's her day off today so the shower can take a long time (I'm now waiting for over 15 minutes). Using cold water isn't a problem, water pressure only goes down a little bit, so I've brushed my teeth. However, using warm water will diminish the shower jet to a trickle, and I'm not planning to wash my face with cold water since it isn't exactly warm.

Maybe I'm just too nice and I should just use warm water; everybody else seems to use warm water when I'm taking a shower.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:00 AM   #21224
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Mixed-mode Vent and Un-Vent;

Rains came so hike to waterfalls had to be canceled.

Some time ago we received tickets for a free lunch at a very exclusive hotel in Kyoto. The sort of place where lunch for one costs about $75.00 USD and provides just a bit less food than would be required by a hamster. The restaurant surround a typical Japanese garden complete with waterfall, koi, and even two swans a'swimming.

Lunch; a starter plate with a 1" square (not cubed... square) of Salmon mouse 1/4" thick served beside a sprig of dill, followed by a chilled pumpkin soup served in a beautiful double bowl; the lower holding crushed ice and the upper bowl the size of half a tennis ball half filled with soup. The main course came on a huge plate but only held one spear of asparagus, one floret of broccoli (crossing each other, of course,) and a pearl onion, with a spoonfull of cream dressing over it, and a medallion of beef roughly the size of can of snuff but thinner. Desert was an ice cream the size of a fig with a sprig of mint on top.

Nouvelle cuisine. Delicious, but not much there and costing a small fortune.

But.... we had free tickets. And I'm on a diet eating 1/4 of what I would normally eat. What a perfect lunch! Free. Almost no calories because of so little food, and delicious!

I think there really IS a God!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:28 AM   #21225
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
did you take pix?
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness