Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #16
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is completely untrue. You can add DRM-protected books to Calibre, store them, and send them to your reader. The only thing that you can't do if a book has DRM is convert it to another format, or edit it in any way.
Strange. One of the reasons I removed the DRM from "Anna Dressed in Blood" was because calibre gave me some sort of error when I tried adding the epub to the library.
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #17
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiart View Post
Strange. One of the reasons I removed the DRM from "Anna Dressed in Blood" was because calibre gave me some sort of error when I tried adding the epub to the library.
You must of had some kind of glitch because you can add all your books to Calibre drmed or not. This would not be a very useful program if it excluded copy protected books. Khovid and others have worked hard to make this the best book organizing program on the planet and its free.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Taustin,

You hit the nail on the head and exactly described the functionality that I've been complaining about. Since I want to operate through Calibre, wi-fi buys me nothing. I will turn it off and buy my books the same way that I did when I was using my Sony. Given that attitude on my part, what is the advantage of buying my books from B&N? I already have accounts with Sony and BoB. It appears that every ebook vendor charges exactly the same price for the same book.
That isn't universally true, though it usually is. You may find stuff on B&N that isn't easily available elsewhere, and for smaller publishers, prices may vary. But generally, the only advantage to B&N would be if you happen to be away from home and have WiFi available, and want a book right now. I buy almost all my books through B&N, through the device, for convenience, but I always download it anyway, and put it in to Calibre to manage an archive. B&N is very good about keeping stuff available to re-download or transfer to a new device, but who knows how long they'll be in business.

Other than that, buy where you're happiest buying, by all means. There's a reason you can sideload, after all.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #19
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
That alone is the number one reason to root the simple touches. I will not have any device that I can't access the drives on.
To each his own. I'm more interested in convenience, and rooting loses the considerable (for me) convenience of being able to buy a new book while I'm sitting on the toilet. I keep a complete archive of my purchases in Calibre, against future device replacement, and have no interest in doing anything that I can't do without rooting.

You, clearly, have different priorities, and that's why it's a good thing that the nooks are so easy to root.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #20
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
To each his own. I'm more interested in convenience, and rooting loses the considerable (for me) convenience of being able to buy a new book while I'm sitting on the toilet. I keep a complete archive of my purchases in Calibre, against future device replacement, and have no interest in doing anything that I can't do without rooting.

You, clearly, have different priorities, and that's why it's a good thing that the nooks are so easy to root.
That depends, I guess, on which Nook you have. If you have one of the standard Nook readers, this may be the case. This is definitely not true for the Nook Tablet though. The Nook Tablet is severely limited out-of-the-box, at least compared to the rooted variety. I rooted mine within a week of opening it last Christmas and I haven't lost the first bit of functionality. I still have wi-fi, I can access the B&N store from my NT, I can still use the Read-In-Store option when I'm in the store. The only thing rooting has done is allow me to open up the capabilities of my NT and not shackle me to B&N's very poor, extremely limited app store.

Keep in mind that I went for a basic root and added another launcher. I didn't debloat anything though. I kept all of the original software. If someone fully replaces the operating system, they will likely lose a lot of the B&N functionality like you said but many people root without fully replacing the OS. All roots are not equal.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #21
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
You must of had some kind of glitch because you can add all your books to Calibre drmed or not. This would not be a very useful program if it excluded copy protected books. Khovid and others have worked hard to make this the best book organizing program on the planet and its free.
Until I installed the plugins, I was unable to add B&N or Overdrive books to Calibre. It always gave an error that said the book had DRM. Maybe they have changed Calibre since then to allow this. That would be good if they did. I cannot test it because I don't want to remove the plugins.

Edit:
It even says on the Calibre website:
"Why does calibre not support DRM?
calibre is open source software while DRM by its very nature is closed. If calibre were to support opening or viewing DRM files it could be trivially modified to be used as a tool for DRM removal which is illegal under today's laws. Open source software and DRM are a clash of principles. While DRM is all about controlling the user open source software is about empowering the user. The two simply can not coexist."

So perhaps it now allows you to add a DRM book to its library and then move the book to your Nook, but you cannot do much else. I'm still betting you cannot even add the book.

Last edited by RAH; 06-24-2012 at 09:59 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
I think we are confusing two things here. As HarryT said, you can definitely add DRMed books to your Calibre library and send them to your ereader.

You can't open them with the ebook viewer or convert them (this is when you get the error that will say that the book has DRM).
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
So perhaps it now allows you to add a DRM book to its library and then move the book to your Nook
Correct. It does allow this.

Quote:
I'm still betting you cannot even add the book.
Don't bet too much on it. You'd lose.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Since I want to operate through Calibre, wi-fi buys me nothing. I will turn it off and buy my books the same way that I did when I was using my Sony. Given that attitude on my part, what is the advantage of buying my books from B&N? I already have accounts with Sony and BoB. It appears that every ebook vendor charges exactly the same price for the same book. I know why that is the case, but I don't agree with it.
If you don't want to use the Nook's Wi-fi features, then there isn't much advantage to buying books from B&N. Most books are priced the same due to agency pricing and for those that aren't I usually find better deals with coupons at other stores.

I have Sony ereaders and also a NOOKcolor. I very rarely buy any books from B&N since their DRM won't work on my Sony ereaders. What I have done is to authorize my Nook to the same Adobe account that works with DRM'ed purchases from the Sony store, BoB, Kobo, your local library, etc. You can authorize your Nook using the Adobe Digital Editions software. That way all of your purchases from these other bookstores will work on both your Nook and your Sony without needing to remove DRM. The only frustration is the Nook internal memory limit on how many non-B&N books you can add to the Nook, and you might need to purchase a memory card.

As others have noted, you can add DRM'ed books to calibre and then send them to your Nook device just like you would send them to your Sony.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #25
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
OK, I stand corrected on adding drm books to Calibre. All bets are off!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #26
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
That isn't universally true, though it usually is. You may find stuff on B&N that isn't easily available elsewhere, and for smaller publishers, prices may vary. But generally, the only advantage to B&N would be if you happen to be away from home and have WiFi available, and want a book right now. I buy almost all my books through B&N, through the device, for convenience, but I always download it anyway, and put it in to Calibre to manage an archive. B&N is very good about keeping stuff available to re-download or transfer to a new device, but who knows how long they'll be in business.
To be safe, I treat the rare DRM'd ebook purchase like I do rebates.

If I wait, the UPC sits around and I forget about it. Rebate goes out before I play with the product!

So I only buy from the site, add to Calibre and make a backup of my Calibre library once in a while. Never buy/download/use on the device. (I might forget to strip/backup if I did that) - only thing I download and use straight from the store is samples.

Only takes a couple of minute visit to my desktop or my laptop for it - I always do it first!
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote