Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Haieflosse
Haieflosse began at the beginning.

Device: None
Kobo language support Persian/Arabic/Russian?

Greetings and salutations to all
I am considering buying the kobo touch. Does anyone know if the kobo touch will properly render right-to-left scripts like Persian/Farsi and Arabic in ePub format. The kobo book webiste has several ePub-format Persian-language titles available for purchase, but I am not sure if they would display properly on the device. I also would like to know if anyone has had any first-hand experience using the kobo touch's experimental browser for websites with content written in Cyrillic-script-based languages like Russian or Tajiki: I am specifically interested in using the browser to read news articles from websites like BBC Tajiki. I contacted kobo directly regarding these inquiries, but the support rep was clueless and even claimed that the kobo touch didn't have a browser.
Haieflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The browser is a beta, and very limited. A kobo Vox might be a better choice for reading on the web.

I am clueless about right to left languages, but i do know that you would have to install the proper font set. I'm guessing that the device doesn't know or care what direction people read in--so if the book is properly converted into an ePUB, from a device point of view, it's all just bits.

An earlier post on MR confirmed that the Touch supports Hebrew--another right to left language. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83405

Last edited by taming; 05-02-2012 at 02:15 AM. Reason: more info
taming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo persian farsi