Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
Ubertrout
Ubertrout began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Ebook reader for complex unscanned PDFs

Hello all,

I'm contemplating getting an ebook reader, especially apropos of the recent price drops. I'm interested in reading ePub books, and also law review articles off of SSRN. By way of explanation, these are in PDF format but are not scanned - they're generally PDF-ed by the law review as part of the production process. There are also extensive footnotes, and unfortunately, I believe that the PDF does not contain link between the note marker and note text.

I'm leaning towards the wifi-only Nook. I'm not so interested in buying books, and I find the integration with Google Books very attractive, along with the ePub support and expandable memory. I'm wondering if this intuition is sensible, and if there is any other sub-$200 reader I should consider for my purposes?
Ubertrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Do you know the dimensions of the text blocks of the SSRN articles, roughly?

The Nook's screen is probably a bit small to read these comfortably, and it sounds like conversion likely won't work too well. Still, there are steps you can take to make this kind of PDF more readable. I list a number of options in this blog post: reading PDFs on portables – soPDF and BRISS are probably especially important.

Ones that are big enough to read such PDFs comfortably without tools such as these are more money, obviously.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You might want to look at a Kindle (Amazon gives you a 30 day return policy). The new Zoom/Pan setup might be a useful feature. Some of us have posted screen caps here...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88498

No ePub support or expandable memory, but most non-DRM'd epubs can be converted to mobi format in a few seconds.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Ubertrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Do you know the dimensions of the text blocks of the SSRN articles, roughly?
A law review article is generally 4.5" by 7.75", roughly, per page. However, they're formatted as 8.5" by 11" with large margins.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubertrout View Post
A law review article is generally 4.5" by 7.75", roughly, per page. However, they're formatted as 8.5" by 11" with large margins.
If you remove the margins and split the page in half – which is what soPDF does – this will give you two 4.5" × 3.875" regions.

The 6" readers like the Nook, Kindle, Sony PRS505/600 have a 9cm × 12cm screen, which is 3.54 × 4.72". So if you don't mind holding it sideways, you'll be able to read the articles at about 91% zoom. should be do-able unless you've got bad vision.

This does require some work on your end, since you need to process these PDFs beforehand. (And they can't have DRM.)

The pan/zoom feature of recent Kindles and some others do sound nice, but I personally can't stand the mobi format: it's much much more limited than ePub. (No embedded fonts, no wrapped-around images, no non-flat CSS, etc. Sure, a text-only novel will convert from ePub to mobi just fine, but others won't.)

Last edited by frabjous; 07-01-2010 at 01:12 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have already posted this in similar threads and I don't want to sound like a cheerleader... but I would recommend the SONY PRS900.

I am a PhD student in Finance. I read a lot of PDFs similar to yours from SSRN and JSTOR.

The PRS900 works well for those - including taking and exporting annotations.

At times, I use Briss to remove margins as well, but most of the time it isn't necessary.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
Ubertrout

Hrm

That is somewhat interesting vxf, thanks for the input. However, that's significantly more than I'd like to pay...I only really became interested when prices dropped below the $200 mark.

I've kinda settled on the wi-fi only Nook. I like the low price and compatibility.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubertrout View Post
That is somewhat interesting vxf, thanks for the input. However, that's significantly more than I'd like to pay...I only really became interested when prices dropped below the $200 mark.

I've kinda settled on the wi-fi only Nook. I like the low price and compatibility.
Good choice. The low price has been sealing the deal for many users here. And a lot of the readers who frequent libraries like the Nook's support for that and epubs in general.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:40 AM   #9
gloomygod
gloomygod began at the beginning.

Device: PRS900
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I have already posted this in similar threads and I don't want to sound like a cheerleader... but I would recommend the SONY PRS900.

I am a PhD student in Finance. I read a lot of PDFs similar to yours from SSRN and JSTOR.

The PRS900 works well for those - including taking and exporting annotations.

At times, I use Briss to remove margins as well, but most of the time it isn't necessary.

vfx, then, if I understood right, you're able so confortable read an A4 formatted PDF in the PRS900 screen? In portrait mode or landscape?

I am a developer, and I am desperately looking for an ebook reader, which I can use to read pdf technical books (i.e, no reflow) in a good way.

Thanks for the help.
gloomygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
abeaty
Enthusiast
abeaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperweight
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomygod View Post
vfx, then, if I understood right, you're able so confortable read an A4 formatted PDF in the PRS900 screen? In portrait mode or landscape?

I am a developer, and I am desperately looking for an ebook reader, which I can use to read pdf technical books (i.e, no reflow) in a good way.

Thanks for the help.
Gloomy,

You and I are in the same boat. I am more or less resigned to waiting on the PocketBook 901/902.

The PocketBooks seems to have the best native PDF support of all eReaders and the 90x series will be the first offering with a larger screen. It is scheduled for release sometime late Q3 or early Q4.

They are indicating a price of $350 or so for the 901. I imagine with the reduction of the DX's price, they may need to release for even less, but know knows.
abeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:

Thanks for the help.
I read A4 PDFs in landscape mode. So a third of a page is displayed at the time. And yes, I find it comfortable - although, for some PDFs with particularly small font, I do remove the margins first using Briss.

I like it because I can take handwritten notes on the page and export the whole thing to RTF - or just view the annotated documents on my pc via SONY's software.

Now, my luck is that I do Finance - a lot of text, some tables, few graphs. So If your technical books involve lots of graphs that you want to see full-page, then I wouldn't recommend it. You can see full page in portrait, but, while doable, I would not call that comfortable.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #12
gloomygod

abeaty: I'll pay the 350$ hands down if this reader allows me to do what I need.

I am really exhausted of reading in the laptop screen.
I have been analyzing every reader out there and any of them would allow me to read non-reflowable pdf books in portrait mode confortable.
I really do not care about the 3G or touchscreen. If it has wifi is OK. If it has not I will connect the usb cable!!! no problemo!! I just want to read my pdf ebooks.

I was going to buy the kindle DX, but I think it is:

1.- tooooo propietary/closed/whatever you want to call it
2.- The pdf support seems not to be the best one

So we'll have to wait until they release the pocketbook then

vfx: crystal clear. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by gloomygod; 07-04-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
Quote:
abeaty: I'll pay the 350$ hands down if this reader allows me to do what I need.

I am really exhausted of reading in the laptop screen.
I have been analyzing every reader out there and any of them would allow me to read non-reflowable pdf books in portrait mode confortable.
I really do not care about the 3G or touchscreen. If it has wifi is OK. If it has not I will connect the usb cable!!! no problemo!! I just want to read my pdf ebooks.

I was going to buy the kindle DX, but I think it is:

1.- tooooo propietary/closed/whatever you want to call it
2.- The pdf support seems not to be the best one

So we'll have to wait until they release the pocketbook then

vfx: crystal clear. Thanks for the clarification.

so why not the new dx > ?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #14
gloomygod

well for a lot of reasons really:

1.- Too propiertary. There are books which support a lot more formats.

2.- The pdf support is not the best. No links, no table of contenst. I have read it is quite slow.

3.- I do not really care about the touchscreen in a ereader as I said , but hey, if it is there, I am not going to tear it apart. Let's say it is secondary for me. But I do not like at all the kindle keyboard.

4.- No memory expansion. 2Gb is really little storage these days.

5.- I am right now in the UK. So with taxes and everything, the DX starts to be a little expensive. Other readers, however, I can have someone to buy in os a physical store in the States, and bring it here.

That's a humble opinion of course.

Anyway, can someone confirm that a 9.7 inches screen is enough to read a non-reflowable technical pdf book in portrait mode confortably?

Thanks

Last edited by gloomygod; 07-08-2010 at 01:41 PM.