Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
sammy12
sammy12
sammy12 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-600
NEXUS 7 TABLET READER

I presently have a Sony reader and of course all my books are epub. I'm getting a Nexus 7 android tablet shortly and was wondering what format it's reader takes and if not epub would Calibre be able to change my epub books to the nexus 7 reader requirement or can I get an epub reader to work on the tablet....thanks garry
sammy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
keeska
Connoisseur
keeska has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony T1, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Note 3
Nexus 7 supports many formats.

Unlike the Kindle Fire the Nexus 7 does not have built in support for ebooks. Instead you install an ereader application which supports your ebook's format.

Sony has an ebook reader application if you wish to stay with Sony. There are a number of third party applications which also are able to read Sony ebooks.

And if you choose to stray from Sony there are readers for Amazon's ebooks, Barnes and Noble's Nook format and several others.

I think the only ebooks you cannot read on the Nexus 7 are Apple's iBooks. (I have heard of ways to read these but do not know if it really possible or not.)
keeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
All of the major reading apps for android are epub compatible (mantano, aldiko, moon+ are three off the top of my head). Some of them also can read Adobe DRM'd epubs, you just have to put in your adobe ID and password. Just search the Google Play store for "epub reader". The descriptions will tell you if they are drm-compatible.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
I use the Mantano eReader on both my Nexus 7 and my Nook Tablet (which runs CyanogenMod10 on SDcard).
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Serapeum
Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serapeum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Moon Reader+
Try Moon+ Reader, it has a pretty wide range of format support and the display options are highly customisable. FBReader supports slightly more formats, but I've found I prefer Moon+ Reader overall.

You may also want to look at the Calibre Companion app if you already use Calibre. I've found it very handy for making it easy to get my books onto my Nexus 7.
Serapeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
auntiem
Enthusiast
auntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enough

Device: nexus 7
I have a nexus 7 and tried Aldiko. I liked it but found it made my tablet crash. After doing some reading, I wasn't the only one this was happening to. Right now I'm using cool reader which is working well for me.
auntiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:26 AM   #7
dsana123
Nameless Being

That's interesting. I use Aldiko on the Nexus 7 and it seems stable to me. I have multiple Android devices and find Aldiko Sync very useful for syncing books and bookmarks between devices (needs root and a Drop box account). Seamless reading when switching between devices.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
It's great that you can read any format on a tablet via apps regardless of whether they have DRM or what DRM they use. Only thing I found is that me personally am too easily distracted by what else I can do, like browse the web or watch YouTube or many other things, that I find concentrating and getting into the book completely borderline impossible.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote