Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre keeps dying

Hi,

Renaming a title or author directly from the main window (not from edit metadata) seems to cause C to just quit with no error message.

The same happens when I simply open "Edit Metadata" even before trying to make any changes.

In both cases the window just closes and I have to re-launch it.

This happens w/version 0.8.56 in Windows 7.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks
clittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Are you by any chance Australian? You're probably suffering from the same problem as in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181548

Stay with 0.8.55 for the moment.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Are you by any chance Australian? You're probably suffering from the same problem as in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181548

Stay with 0.8.55 for the moment.
Hi Kovid,

I'm not Australian but I feel the pain.

Well I tried a "Repair" from the installation MSI. It didn't help.

So I un-installed and went back to v0.8.17 and it's working fine.

I'll wait for the next release. I don't seem to have 8.55. I know I could find it but 8.17 seems to be working well.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
So I un-installed and went back to v0.8.17 and it's working fine.

I'll wait for the next release. I don't seem to have 8.55. I know I could find it but 8.17 seems to be working well.
0.8.17 is a long way back, so many things have changed. You can find all old versions of calibre here.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
clittle
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
0.8.17 is a long way back, so many things have changed. You can find all old versions of calibre here.
Thanks! Installing .55 now.

CL
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
clittle
Zealot

Just want to report I'm having the same problem with 8.55 after regressing from .86. Not quite as severe but still an annoyance.

CL
Old 06-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Aleyst
Zealot
Aleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with others

Device: PW (7th Gen), PW (10th Gen)
Try updating to the latest version. I think it's 0.8.57
Aleyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
clittle
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleyst View Post
Try updating to the latest version. I think it's 0.8.57
Thanks, I've now done that.

But since I don't use Calibre from day to day it may take a few weeks to see if there's any change.

CL
Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
Aleyst
Zealot
Aleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with others

Device: PW (7th Gen), PW (10th Gen)
Good luck!
There is almost always an update every Friday, so if you check back with it once a week, you'll keep up to date, kovid and the team do a great job at fixing things as quickly as they can
Aleyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
clittle
Zealot

Sorry to say I'm having the same problem with 8.57.

Is this just me or is it a known issue?

Thanks,

CL
Old 06-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's no known problem that causes calibre to randomly crash. There is one known incompatibility with Wacom branded mice, and another with having invalid fonts installed on your system, but both of those would have affected you with 0.8.17 as well.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I suspect bad RAM (Get and run MEMTEST86+ overnight or unless fails show up sooner. then you know what to do )
additionally
Check your HD for errors .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
clittle
Zealot

Update: I went back to 8.17 (again). It seems to be solid. Current versions just die spontaneously one me.

Kovad: Thanks again for your support and for a wonderful product!
My mouse is an HP brand. How would I check for invalid fonts? I don't think I've intentionally installed any fonts at all. I only have fonts that came with Win 7 and with any applications like MS Office.

theducks: Thanks for the feedback. I'll try a RAM test asap but I doubt that's the problem simply because everything else works fine. The problem seems to only be with Calibre.

Thanks,

CL
Old 06-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
Update: I went back to 8.17 (again). It seems to be solid. Current versions just die spontaneously one me.
Going back to a version so out of date is quite drastic. Go to Source forge and try newer versions until it breaks again. Find out exactly what version is the first to show the problem.

Also, you might want to try the Portable version and see if that exhibits the same error.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #15
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I also have issues with 0.8.57

I downloaded this EPUB https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35443 which has a minor error in its metadata (Author set as "Karl & May" when it should be "Karl May"). Editing the metadata and pressing the OK button, Calibre hangs. It uses 100% CPU and memory usage keeps on growing (hundreds of MB for a simple metadata change). Unfortunately I have tons of RAM in this machine so it would take hours for it to actually crash and print a trace due to memory allocation errors.

Anyone have the same issue?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote