Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Vox
OogleVox - Install Android Market on Kobo Vox the easy way!

Release 1.1:

Thanks for all the input everyone, I have incorporated the feedback into the newest version 1.1, which has also been tested sucessfully against the March 13, 2012 firmware update.

Release 1.2:

Updated the Android Market to Play Store 3.4.7. This only affects new installations, please let me know if you encounter any problems with this new version.

You can download the app from here: http://goo.im/devs/danifunker/OogleV...1-2-Signed.apk
or from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=107

The Kobo has to be rooted in order to proceed, but OogleVox will not offer installation buttons if it not rooted.

If you need help rooting, use GingerBreak, or on any version released March 2, 2012 or later, read the following thread for rooting instructions: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171833

Full Changelog:
03/03/2012:
- Added check to see if Vending.apk exists, if it does an alert will appear on the bottom of the screen by default, instead of saying "ooglevox has not made any modifications"
- Added root check, if root is not enabled an alert will appear on the bottom and the install / uninstall buttons will be disabled
- Added a donate button, which takes you to my XDA-Developers donation link
- Automatically restart after installation or uninstallation of Google Apps
- Added a spinner progress indicator while running installation or deletion of Google Apps
- Please note the google apps package is taken from Cynaogenod's 7's 2011-08-28 release

03/13/2012:
- Updated the Vending.Apk to the Google Play, version 3.4.7

Last edited by danifunker; 05-05-2012 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Release 1.2, updated URL
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Lightbulb

Hi Everyone,

As I mentioned in the install Google Market Installation thread ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160948 ) I am currently in the development process of the application. This will be non-ad support, free program.

I am actually taking a Java class in school, as well as reading a beginners Android programming book. When I'm not working or in school, I have a few minutes to dedicate to the program which I am introducing as OogleVox.

I have some good news. So far I have created the interface and have requested the "su" command to be run. I am still trying to figure out how to copy the actual Google Market files from my program to the system, but I'm sure that will come shortly! I am trying to get OogleVox ready so I can uninstall the Google Market before I apply the next update, and after the next update install the Google Market the easy way! ( I guess that gives me about a week or so to get this all done...)

Now, I was hoping I could get the mobileread community involved with the program, since I'm mainly developing this program for this community I was hoping someone could design me an icon for OogleVox. I basically need 4 PNG files: 36x36, 48x48 and 72x72. If you would like some more information, please review the recommendations on the following webpage: http://developer.android.com/guide/p..._launcher.html . Of course I will give you credit in the program once I get your icons.

Let me know if you can help!

I'll use this thread for posting developments on the program.
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
How about these?

Full: lol a bit big to post but it's 1200x1200

72x72:

48x48:

36x36:

If anyone is a wiz with photoshop/corel and knows an easy way to make the texture 'pop' a bit more let me know.

Cheers

Last edited by Kboland; 02-27-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
danifunker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboland View Post
How about these?

Full: lol a bit big to post but it's 1200x1200

72x72:

48x48:

36x36:

I just cropped an image of the back of a Vox. If anyone is a wiz with photoshop/corel and knows an easy way to make the texture 'pop' a bit more let me know.

Cheers
That was pretty fast and pretty cool! I'm not sure how it would look on a black background though (think of the menu listing), and was hoping to get some kind of shopping bag involved with it, or maybe like a world icon... not sure exactly. Thanks for your help so far!
Old 02-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
That was pretty fast and pretty cool! I'm not sure how it would look on a black background though (think of the menu listing), and was hoping to get some kind of shopping bag involved with it, or maybe like a world icon... not sure exactly. Thanks for your help so far!
I might be procrastinating a bit in my lab Anyway here's another run at it. Good point about the black background, I didn't even think about that. Anyway, here's try (procrastination session) #2.

72x72:

48x48:

36x36:

globe from: http://www.gettyicons.com/free-icon/...orld-icon-png/

Last edited by Kboland; 02-22-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
danifunker
Connoisseur

Beautiful! will add that in
Old 02-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Kboland
Zealot

glad to help
Old 02-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Does http://www.roseindia.net/java/beginners/CopyFile.shtml give any ideas on copying a file?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
NDRisk
NDRisk began at the beginning.

Excited by this, if it works you'll be doing the community a huge service.
NDRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
danifunker
Connoisseur

It's ready... check the first post in this thread!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Cool, now if only kobo would release an upgrade...
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #12
Kboland
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Cool, now if only kobo would release an upgrade...
Indeed Hopefully this little beauty still works once the pending firmware upgrade rolls out.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
danifunker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboland View Post
Indeed Hopefully this little beauty still works once the pending firmware upgrade rolls out.
I'll probably be one of the first ones to test the app with the firmware upgrade. So far, I've seen an issue with some of the methods used in the program and the Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) version out there. Although some of the issues have been resolved... We'll just have to see what happens!

I'm hoping to get some feedback on the program, so if anybody doesn't have the Market installed on their vox, please go ahead and leave a comment here on on xda!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I have sent a request to make this thread a sticky... Great work danifunker! Should be much appreciated by Vox owners who don't want to root.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
danifunker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I have sent a request to make this thread a sticky... Great work danifunker! Should be much appreciated by Vox owners who don't want to root.
This program does require root, but doesn't require you doing anything other than running it, greatly reducing the risk of bricking your device in the process.