Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 03:19 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
It's not a bug, it's a feature. I think Tidy examines just one single (x)html, without looking for CSS or other html's, so it can't know that you have already set your "ct" / "cst" accordingly.
How is it a feature? It would make sense to check the CSS and if need be, delete the excess code instead of styling it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #47
seanos
Zealot
seanos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura H2O, LG V20
I've looked at Sigil before but only just started using it for a serious project and I can't believe how stupid and annoying this is!

1. The toggle for HTML tidy isn't obvious at all - in the menu it looks like a command, not a toggle. Why isn't it (also) in Preferences? This is not great interface design.

2. I have this switched off, but Sigil still replaces valid HTML, e.g. italic tags, with its own inline CSS. The epub I'm editing already has an external stylesheet and it's infuriating having to track down changes made behind my back.

3. Why does Sigil (or is it Tidy?) keep spacing out my table tags? This makes the job of maintaining tables much, much harder.

4. Is there any way of turning this nonsense off? It's fine if other people like it, but why is it being forced on me?
seanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do agree that it would be nice if Sigil did not "format the code" unless I wanted it to.

As for the styles, with Tidy off, Sigil no longer creates the inline styles for me. check if the broom icon is in or not. If it is in, Tidy is on and will create the inline styles as it sees fit.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #49
seanos
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As for the styles, with Tidy off, Sigil no longer creates the inline styles for me. check if the broom icon is in or not. If it is in, Tidy is on and will create the inline styles as it sees fit.
No, the broom toggle is OFF.

Yes, Sigil still creates inline styles.

Sigil 0.53
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel i7
16GB RAM
Old 05-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #50
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Can you retest that - because it shouldn't happen.

- Start Sigil
- Turn Tidy off - use the menu Quick Settings -> Cleaning With Tidy. Check the Quick Settings Menu again and make sure the checkmark is gone. If there is a checkmark next to Cleaning with Tidy then tidy is on.
- Close Sigil and restart it
- Check Quick Settings menu again to confirm Tidy is still off
- do your test and check if inline code is created

If inline code is created - what exactly are you doing so I can see if I can reproduce it?
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #51
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
- Turn Tidy off - use the menu Quick Settings -> Cleaning With Tidy. Check the Quick Settings Menu again and make sure the checkmark is gone. If there is a checkmark next to Cleaning with Tidy then tidy is on.
I wish I had a check mark. I have a flashlight icon that changes background color from light gray to an ever so lighter gray. I assume that the lighter gray signifies that Tidy is on but I'm never sure. And even then, I have to click it a couple of times and peer at it to determine if it is on or off.

Regards-John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #52
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
In 5.1 the Quick Settings Menu uses the same Icons rather than the more traditional tick mark (or red circle bend sinister overlay).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #53
seanos
Zealot

Sorry meme, the forum stopped sending me notifications for some reason.

I now cannot get Sigil to do what it did before. Perhaps Tidy is still defaulting to "on" when installed even though the toggle button is not showing it? I didn't switch it on and the button was definitely was not depressed.

Although this problem seems to have gone away Sigil's HTML rendering is proving so unreliable that I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. After consistently refusing to show text marked as small caps, today it is showing most of the file as small caps! I'm really beginning to wonder if it's complete a waste of time and I'd get the job done quicker by extracting all the files, using Notepad++ and previewing in Firefox.

Restarting Sigil seems to have made it display properly, but for how long? [Edit: of course, the bits that should be small caps, now aren't again.]

Is this a known problem? It rather defeats the purpose of having a WYSIWYG preview.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #54
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The smallcaps problem you describe is known and out of Sigils hands. It is the fault of the web renderer in the Qt-framework. The previewer in Calibre has the same problem.
Since all renderers are different (just as in the readers), it only gives an indication. You should always check in other programs as well. I always check at least in ADE.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #55
seanos
Zealot

I don't have (or particularly want to start using) ADE, but once again it makes me wonder what the point is of having a preview if you can't trust it? Is there a list somewhere of what this rendered will and won't render?

Does Sigil have a memory leak as well? I notice it is now using twice as much memory as when I started editing, even though I have less text open.

This would be a lot less frustrating if Sigil was a little more polished. Restarts would be less painful if it remembered the last working directory and saved a layout for what you were working on.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much, but not having used it for a while I thought it would have matured a lot more than this.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #56
seanos
Zealot

OT: Thread Tools on this page only shows "Unsubscribe" but my User Control
Panels shows no subscriptions. Is there any way to get this forum to send me notifications?

Oops, notifications were set to weekly.

Last edited by seanos; 05-07-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanos View Post
After consistently refusing to show text marked as small caps, today it is showing most of the file as small caps!
Unless you are doing simulated smallcaps, they won't work with ADE. So they won't work with most readers as most readers use ADE.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanos View Post
I don't have (or particularly want to start using) ADE
If you're creating eBooks for other people to read, you really should be testing them under ADE, since this (or its mobile cousin, "Reader Mobile") is what virtually all ePub devices use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #59
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you're creating eBooks for other people to read, you really should be testing them under ADE, since this (or its mobile cousin, "Reader Mobile") is what virtually all ePub devices use.
Yes. You seriously can't make eBooks professionally without it. I don't love it, either; but it's the guts of most readers. Not using it is surely a recipe for frustration, if not disaster.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #60
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Unless you are doing simulated smallcaps, they won't work with ADE. So they won't work with most readers as most readers use ADE.

I must differ with you about that depending on what you mean by 'simulated'. I've done numerous epubs that have small caps fonts and they show perfectly on ADE, and also on my bebook one, prs-950, and rooted nook native ADE reader and Aldiko.

Last edited by bobcdy; 05-08-2012 at 10:44 PM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote