Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #91
doncaruana
doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nexus 7, Asus TF700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisNY View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've been looking for a way to host my Calibre database on my Synology 411+ and access it from my devices (PC and Asus Transformer Prime tablet) for a long time and this project appears to solve the problem. However, after reading the instructions on the download website and this thread, I'm having a hard time understanding the installation process for Synology as I'm not familiar with the php code references and I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this.

What I've done so far is enabled the WebStation, mySQL and installed phpMyAdmin on the Synology. I also downloaded the cops 0.2.0 zip file and extracted the contents but I'm lost from there For example, the instructions mentioned "If a first-time install, copy config_default.php to config_local.php" Where's the config_local.php file?

On behalf of the other non-code-writing-synology-owning Calibre fans can someone please share layman, step by step instructions on how to get this working on a Synology unit? Thanks!

You didn't need to go through all that! I have the Synology 211 and just got it up and running myself. All you need to do is enable the web - you don't need to enable mySQL or install phpMyAdmin. I followed the instructions up above with no real issues, but I'll recap for you:

1) On Synology, enable Web Station (Control Panel->Web Services->Web Applications Tab: "Enable Web Station". The only other thing I have checked in this space is "Enable PHP Cache" and "Enable PHP safe mode..."
2) You will now have a share on your diskstation called "Web". Determine if you are going to put your library in the root or use a subfolder (I used a subfolder named "Library" - we'll run with that for now, but don't create it yet). You should probably now map this new share to a drive on your PC (I used W).
3) Find your calibre library on your PC. You can click on the icon on the menu bar at the top of calibre (that looks like the calibre "logo") and it will say "Your calibre library is currently located at ...". For Win7, this is C:\Users\<your user name>\Calibre Library.
4) Shut down calibre and now copy your library to the diskstation. I just grabbed the whole folder (which, by default is called "Calibre Library") and copied that folder to the "web" share on the diskstation. Once there, I renamed it to "Library".
5)If you want to test Calibre now, go back into it and click on that same icon as above and select "Switch/create library". Put the path to your new location (in my instance w:\Library, but a UNC path might work too - \\diskstation\web\Library). Make sure and click "Use the previously existing library at the new location". At this point you should have your calibre library working on your diskstation, so next step is to enable COPS. I now just leave calibre pointed to the new library location and use it there - I don't maintain it locally anymore.
6) Take the COPS zip file and unzip it right in your library directory (W:\Library for me).
7) Make a new copy of the file called "config_default.php" and name it "config_local.php"
8) Edit the "config_local.php" if you'd like and change the name of the library and the timezone.
The library name is here:
$config['cops_title_default'] = "Sebastien's COPS";
The timezone is here:
$config['default_timezone'] = "Europe/Paris";
You can find the appropriate PHP timezone setting here
9) Believe it or not, at this point it's running! You can hit it with your browser by simply going to http://diskstation/Library
10) Now you just need to get your reader of choice to recognize the OPDS catalog. To do this use the same URL as immediately above but add feed.php. So mine would look like this - http://diskstation/Library/feed.php

And that's it! You are up and running! I have almost the exact same setup as you, including an Asus Transformer.
doncaruana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #92
warfab
warfab began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Also, it's great that one can still update the calibre library even if the library is on a nas

Putting a shortcut ("C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe" --with-library "\\DISKSTATION\web\library1") makes updating the library on the Synology easier.

I currently have two libraries on my Synology which I maintain. Now I don't have to bother with calibre2opds to update the libraries on my Synology
warfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #93
doncaruana
doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doncaruana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfab View Post
Also, it's great that one can still update the calibre library even if the library is on a nas

Putting a shortcut ("C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe" --with-library "\\DISKSTATION\web\library1") makes updating the library on the Synology easier.

I currently have two libraries on my Synology which I maintain. Now I don't have to bother with calibre2opds to update the libraries on my Synology
Why would you need to do that shortcut? Calibre just continues to point to the last library you updated. And it also knows which libraries you have. You can switch between any libraries by simply using the create/switch icon I referenced. As a matter of fact, in the menu that pops up when you hit that icon, it will just list the other library so its a one-click change. And, if you want, you can also use that to copy books from one library to another.

Sometimes the solution is just a simple one
Old 08-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #94
warfab
warfab began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaruana View Post
Why would you need to do that shortcut? Calibre just continues to point to the last library you updated. And it also knows which libraries you have. You can switch between any libraries by simply using the create/switch icon I referenced. As a matter of fact, in the menu that pops up when you hit that icon, it will just list the other library so its a one-click change. And, if you want, you can also use that to copy books from one library to another.

Sometimes the solution is just a simple one
I know about the switch library icon
The shortcut was for the benefit of my wife who most of the times put some of her stuff into my library since she forgets to switch libraries most of the time ;D

Since I put a shortcut for her, I decided to put one for my library so I can directly access it without having to switch libraries
warfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #95
DennisNY
DennisNY began at the beginning.

Device: Asus Transformer Prime
It Works!

Doncaruana, thanks for your detailed instructions! It was exactly what I was looking for and I got it working. The process was much easier than I expected. Thanks again!

DennisNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #96
doncaruana

Glad to help!
Old 09-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #97
Northguy
Northguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hi there,

I am also trying to figure this thing out to run on a Synology Box.

1st question:

I have a funtioning COPS in my web browser, but somehow downloading a book does not seem to work. The URL behind the button gives me a strange URL with a path like ../download/8/filename.epub and this ends up in a Synology error page telling me that the page does not exist.

I tried modifying $config['cops_x_accel_redirect'] = to no avail.

Anybody got a clue?

2nd question:

I have performed the test with a small database in my /web/ folder. I would like to use an external path on /volume1/. Anyone got a clue how to fix this?

Regards,
Northguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #98
Northguy

OK,

Figured out how to download.

On my Synology DS212 the "Config_Local.php" settings should be:

Quote:
$config['cops_x_accel_redirect'] = "X-Sendfile";

$config['cops_use_url_rewriting'] = "0";
No need for adding an .htaccess file in this case.

Now still pending: Question 2. How to refer to my original (large) database outside the /web/ environment....
Old 09-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #99
Northguy

OK, I managed to access the files outside my /web/ environment. Added the proper path to the Open_basedir in my php.ini and now I can get an overview of titles, small cover image and book summaries. But I cannot download the epubs though.

I tried the suggested Rewrite rules in the .htaccess files, but when I add those, COPS stops working.

When downloading an epub, the proper filename is given by my browser, but I end up with a file with a size of 0kb.

Anyone got a clue?
Old 09-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #100
Northguy

OK,

Got Epub download through HTML working with a database directory stored outside the web path. Solved it by changing the last line in fetch.php according to this comment.

Minor issues that do not obstruct the main purpose of COPS:
* Cover preview in fancybox does not work. Probably related with the fetch.php thing as mentioned above
* Title summary in fancybox --> Fancybox starts halfway of my Ebook screen. Re-positioning necessary
Old 09-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #101
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo eReader Touch, Kobo Aura HD
@Northguy

I had a lot of problems with fancybox on my Kobo. Latest firmware fixed most of it. I have no Prs-t1 around so now way to help you, do you know if there is a way to emulate it ?

I saw your pull request and will merge this afternoon.
vlad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #102
Northguy

never mind...

Last edited by Northguy; 09-04-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #103
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo eReader Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northguy View Post
never mind...
Doest this mean that you've found something to allow the PRS-T1 to use COPS (and fancyapps) or was it about your edition ?

Last edited by vlad59; 09-05-2012 at 11:29 AM.
vlad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #104
doncaruana

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad59 View Post
Hi,

I got your mail

I'll install Moon+ this weekend and try to see what happen.
Did you get around to looking at this? I've had no response from the Moon+ developer...
Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #105
doctur
doctur began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
DB outside webroot

Hi All,

Just wanted to say that I have successfully installed it in IIS7.5 and it is all working perfectly. My only issue is that I want the software to access the library in the NAS (outside webroot/server). I have not been able to get it to work. I keep getting a blank XML error everytime I try to change the path.

I am not very good with PHP so please excuse.

Can anyone help explain the steps to get this to work? I know that a few of you have set it up this way...

Thanks,
doctur

doctur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre opds, dns, kobo aura, synology